Amy's Ride - 1 November

brettjames

Re: Amy's Ride - 1 November

Postby brettjames » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Better not be cancelled, I've been looking forward to this for ages!!!!

36 just means you need to suncreen up, and TIE!!! take it easy!!!

Chances are it won't make 36 anyway, based on the forcast proceeding.
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

GRT

Postby GRT » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Noticed that temperature for Sunday in Adelaide 36 yet down south past Noarlunga is only 24. Seems an extreme difference.
Hope the organisers take that into account.

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:31 pm

When I picked my ride ID and jersey - I asked them about the hot weather policy - it was touch and go for the 100 km route - they were saying that they will make a decision after the 60km route at Willunga - whether to proceed from willunga / kangarilla / blewitt springs / mclaren flat / mclarenvale for the 100 km route - I have a feeling its going to sway to positive as the weather around the area is cooler than Adelaide. Play by ear on Sunday

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:11 pm

I know i should of asked this picking up my jersey and ID, but is there a need for a bike lock when you arrive at McLaren Vale?? or maybe some shoes?

How would you carry shoes(regular) :oops:

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Never bothered with either: most rides like those there's a bike park and plenty to pick from if you're that way inclined. It would be dead unlucky if a thief picked yours. Seriously, I think a thief would be spotted and collared before they got to far (by like 200 angry sweaty cyclists).

As for shoes, not really, just get yer dogs off and bask in the knowledge of a job well done while you wait for the cavalry (pickup wagon) to arrive. If I was catching the transit bus back I might reconsider.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks Rusty

uphillbattle

Postby uphillbattle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Good luck to everyone taking part hope you have a great ride,was going to be there but have to pull a 18 hour shift overnight Saturday so can't see myself being in any condition to ride Sunday :cry:

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:03 pm

What i dont understand is why we are starting a 10 seems like a strange time of day to begin a long ride on a hot day :? Hope everyone has a great ride and ill see you out there tomorrow :D
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:08 pm

Well at least we can atleast get some sleep :D :D :D
I wouldnt even bother getting up any earlier. This would then force ealier preps and i dont wana get up at like 6:30....

RichardH what bike you got? :roll:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:58 am

good luck all.. hope everyone has a good safe ride... spesh day for it....

DansAvanti

Postby DansAvanti » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Cool - 100kms at 26.6kph, what a blast!
Great weather, great fun. No near accidents. Expressway is the clear highlight... It is worth paying the money just for the first 20kms (IMHO). Hope everyone else is happy with how things went. 2 flat tires can't evem dampen the enthusiasm!!

Dan

alex

Postby alex » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:26 pm

pretty shocked that on a ride to promote road safety (and given the events in the media this week) the vast majority of people just completely ignored the road rules.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Great ride for the first 40k or so then got this horrible grinding sound (like metal on metal) reckon the bearing in the hubs are gone just service the bike a week ago :roll: so that was my ride over the better half and my dad continued on and had a great ride wish i could have finished :? It is amazing how oblivious some people are on these rides but i suppose theres always a group that will just tune out and do whatever. I ride a blue orbea i think theres a picture on the bike gallery thread on page 28 or 29 .
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 am

DansAvanti wrote:Cool - 100kms at 26.6kph, what a blast!
Great weather, great fun. No near accidents. Expressway is the clear highlight... It is worth paying the money just for the first 20kms (IMHO). Hope everyone else is happy with how things went. 2 flat tires can't evem dampen the enthusiasm!!

Dan
well done mate... good effort given 2x flats wouldve sucked...

alex wrote:pretty shocked that on a ride to promote road safety (and given the events in the media this week) the vast majority of people just completely ignored the road rules.
besides that, anythign positive to report?
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex

Postby alex » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:27 am

the police were very friendly
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 am

DansAvanti wrote:Cool - 100kms at 26.6kph, what a blast!

Dan

I feel your pain mate - the puncture fairy was cruel to me at the 85 km mark - sheesh I was swearing like a trooper thinking I am on the home stretch towards Maclarenvale and having a blast.......I loved that steep descent down Wickham's hill? - saw a bloke not looking crash hot - sounds like he went too fast around a bend and fell off - anyone know what happened to him?
Last edited by bionic wombat on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 am

RICHARDH wrote:What i dont understand is why we are starting a 10 seems ....
Timing is more to do with closure of the Expressway than anything else

Ben85

Postby Ben85 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 am

it started at 10am cause they had the dash for cash on first, which started at 8:30ish
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:14 am

Dam that head wind was a big pain :twisted: (speaking of the devil :lol: )

I did hear someone crash behind me though, I think a lady pulled out off the side of the road and she cut this guy off and down went the guy. All i heard was "oh sorry," from the lady and when i looked back i saw the guy on the ground and he shouted "ah F***," and smashed his bottle on the floor

Wonder when the photos will be up from the ride
How about team BNA next year???

fitnhealthy

Postby fitnhealthy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:06 am

Loved this ride especially the expressway and it was nice riding along the coastline. I will be back next year!

KRG

Postby KRG » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:50 pm

The organisation by BSA was fantastic and all the volunteers were incredibly supportive. The heat was a bit crazy and a solid conditioner for the upcoming summer. I am locked in for the TDU but now have more respect for the challenge that it will be. The fact that there will be more climbing and 60 more km's in late January temperatures means hydration might have to start a week in advance.

Wickhams Hill Rd was fun but you had to concentrate with some of the dicey road surface in the braking and turning areas, very glad that we didn't have to share it with cars.

It was a surprise to see everything the police guy said at the start completely ignored, re 2 abreast etc. But I also think that all the riders are so amped by the amount of fellow riders that you do just take over the road if you were in a big grouping. If everyone rode two abreast between Old Noarlunga and Port Willunga (where most people were still relatively in the same vicinity) it would be one of the longest snakes of bike riders anywhere and was never going to happen. Too many varying speeds to have some sort of orderly pace line running. After the Willunga drink stop, which broke a lot of the riders up, it seemed like everyone behaved as requested. Gotta love the big P plate Commodores getting irate at being held up then gunning it down the wrong side of the road in a deafening rage to get around (imperiling all involved). There is definitely a relationship between the manner of overtaking and exhaust size....

All in all a fantastic event and a credit to BSA and the Amy Gillett Foundation.

DirtPhysics

Postby DirtPhysics » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Excellent event. Couple of things could be improved but overall, pretty amazing to get 3,000 cyclists generally organised - more organised if the entrants had read their ride guide I suspect. I completed the 100kms on a MTB kitted with slicks just for the day. What's the big deal with Willunga hill? Ha ha, I cheated and could spin away very comfortably on my MTB cogs while huffing puffing roadies grimaced and ground their way up. I arrived at the top feeling very fresh, heart rate well controlled, with a nice grin on my face! The stop at Kangarilla was great - the thinned out number of white jersied cyclists flat out on the grass, stretching backs and hammies, looking red and blustery, but with a weirdly cheerful atmosphere - like those who survived to return from a raid on the enemy.

Congrats to everyone who rode and nice job BikeSA.