Which bicycle style for this commute?

JasonB

Which bicycle style for this commute?

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi!

I'm making the switch from motorcycle to bicycle and am at a loss as to which style of bike to choose. First and foremost, it will be used to commute to work (with a backpack only, no panniers etc). Ideally I'd like to be able to take it for road rides on weekends and eventually tackle some of the hills that we have around the place.

The route I'll be taking, well, I think I'll be taking, is up Melbourne avenue, up through the Parliament house ring road and out Kings avenue through to Russell. I'm leaning towards a roadie, but am unfamiliar with the surfaces I'll be going over during the commute. I've been test riding a few different styles, and while flat bar feels natural, I'm keen to get drops and suck it up while I get used to them.

Is anyone familiar with cycling from Deakin through to Russell/Campbell and, given that route, does anyone think a full roadie is the way to go, or should I be looking more towards a hybrid?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason

Bantam Roosta

Re: Which bicycle style for this commute?

Postby Bantam Roosta » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Full roadie, definitely. Will you be riding on the roads or paths? I only ride roads, so can't comment on paths, but roads are fine that way.

JasonB

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:36 am

Paths would be nice during crazy traffic periods, however most of the paths I have seen in the area are the old concrete block style and probably not suited to a roadie. More than likely it will be roads, roads and more roads with the nice bitumen paths used when available. I guess as I gain confidence with riding again, I won't mind the cars whizzing by so much :D

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:45 pm

That would be a nice little ride through through pleasant suburbs. If you're inkling towards drop bars already, you'd regret getting a flat bar. Go for a roadie or cyclocross bike, ensuring the wheels are tough enough for the type of riding you'll be doing.