What do you all think of the Kona Paddy Wagon?

thomas_cho

What do you all think of the Kona Paddy Wagon?

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:00 am

The link shows the bike. Saw this at Mal Adjusted in Canberra.

I think it looks very nice.

Dedacci Cr-mo ... where does that stand compared to Reynolds, and the like?

GaryF

Re: What do you all think of the Kona Paddy Wagon?

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:46 am

thomas_cho wrote:The link shows the bike. Saw this at Mal Adjusted in Canberra.

I think it looks very nice.

Dedacci Cr-mo ... where does that stand compared to Reynolds, and the like?
It's interesting to see fixed wheel bikes being produced for everyday riding now.

I think Dedacci tubing is top of the line stuff although I don't know the varying grades of tube.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 am

GaryF wrote:It's interesting to see fixed wheel bikes being produced for everyday riding now.
What you mean now days young fella! :shock: Back in my day that is what we grew up on, well until the three-speed came along :D

Andrew

cray-

Postby cray- » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:31 am

What kind of money are these going for down here? Just saw an SE Draft go for 255$ on the bay this morning. Kicking myself for not bidding.

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:07 pm

the SE bike...at the first listing noone bid for it..it was 0.99. Sooo yer they aint a very good bike.

Just wondering how much money u looking to spend? I might have a fixed for u.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:49 pm

The fact that it sat on 99c for awhile doesn't surprise me, eBay is all about the last second sniping. As for the SE bikes themselves, well if you where paying RRP you'd be better off saving up a bit extra and getting something like a Langster/Capo/Paddywagon...but for 255$ it would have been good for parts or some serious customisation.

How much am I wanting to spend? As little as possible, but I've hijacked this thread enough already. Feel free to PM me.

CraigC

Postby CraigC » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:01 pm

I have a 2007 Paddy Wagon, not bad as a SS, great as a fixed-gear. Only thing that i swapped out was the cog (stamped POS). Ride everything else until it breaks. Highly recommended, it has survived 5 days a week commuting through all sorts of weather. I have just replaced the rear bearings about a month ago and one chain.

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Paddy Wagon = very good commuting bike. Good brand good reputation over in US. Good for first SS/FG.

srider

Postby srider » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:56 pm

vee_dub wrote:Paddy Wagon = very good commuting bike. Good brand good reputation over in US. Good for first SS/FG.
i second

sachs huret

Postby sachs huret » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm

I'd buy it just for the comedy value of the name if I had the cash... and didn't have 4 other bikes already... and a missus who complains about me taking up all the room in the garage with "bits of metal"...

miss min

Postby miss min » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:08 pm

I just bought an 07 model for $649 from Maladjusted! They have discounted their Kona bikes, so it's worth a look-see.

Oh, and I love that I am a shrink, who bought a Paddy Wagon from Maladusted!! Very apt! :lol:

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:55 am

Aushiker wrote:
GaryF wrote:It's interesting to see fixed wheel bikes being produced for everyday riding now.
What you mean now days young fella! :shock: Back in my day that is what we grew up on, well until the three-speed came along :D
Andrew
Which, according to the Sturmey Archer factory, first appeared in December 1902, a year before the Wright's first flew a powered aircraft.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

stevebaby

Postby stevebaby » Thu May 22, 2008 10:44 am

Kid_Carbine wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Andrew
Which, according to the Sturmey Archer factory, first appeared in December 1902, a year before the Wright's first flew a powered aircraft.
Those were the good old days...wooden chains,steel tyres and all.

NotTim

Postby NotTim » Thu May 22, 2008 3:22 pm

stevebaby wrote:Those were the good old days...wooden chains,steel tyres and all.
You had steel tyres? Looooxury

We had to make do with left over locomotive wheels, and we couldn't afford the round ones, had to use square ones.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Thu May 22, 2008 4:45 pm

yeh, and my fixed gear didn't have brakes, we learnt to back pedal :shock:

janus77

Postby janus77 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 am

a mate of mine was looking at the Paddy Wagon, ended up buying a fg/ss bike from Europa Cycles in Randwick instead. They measured him up for the frame and built it to spec. Ended up about $160 cheaper than the Kona, it might not have quite the finish of the Paddy Wagon, but definitely a nice ride, they put a Velocity Deep V rim on the back and a lighter wheel build for the front, he got to chose all the parts, bars, pedals, BB, hubs, tyres, fork and brake type.

Had a ride of it in the car park at work yesterday, rolls sweet! Of course it would be raining for the week following the new bike arriving.

Only took them 2 days to get it ready too.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Very happy with my 2011 model. Changed rear to 15 for a 75 GI rollout. Good solid commuter (37k's Round trip)for the bucks.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:45 am

I had a mate who had his Charge Plug stolen and replaced it with a Paddy Wagon. He liked it, but really missed the agility and feel of the Plug, and ended up getting another one when one came up. They're not quite as cheap as the Paddy Wagon from memory, but this fella felt it was worth it.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:44 am

WestcoastPete wrote:I had a mate who had his Charge Plug stolen and replaced it with a Paddy Wagon. He liked it, but really missed the agility and feel of the Plug, and ended up getting another one when one came up. They're not quite as cheap as the Paddy Wagon from memory, but this fella felt it was worth it.
Plug is only plain gauge cromo as compared to Butted on kona, and that fork is yeck, but hey, if the ride is better for him who cares. :wink:

Tbird

Postby Tbird » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Have just purchased the 2013 model and have been riding it for the last 2 weeks as my daily ride

Positives: Fantastic comfort especially after riding my rock hard track bike for the 4 months
Looks fantastic especially the fake "raw" finish much nicer than the last model which was just black

Negatives: freewheel is rubbish have already replaced with my White Industries 15t which I already had
Brakes are ordinary especially feel and have changed pads much nicer but still not perfect
Seat is OK but will be replacing soon not sure with model might be retro style Concor,Regal etc.

Overall very happy with it obviously it's no Cinelli but then again neither is the price tag so great value in my eyes
2013 Kona Paddy Wagon
2012 BH Ultralight Enve
2011 GT Zaskar Carbon Pro
2007 Apollo Record
2009 Apollo Record

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Absolutely lovin mine ,severalmonths on. CF post, Arione, Velocity deepV wheelset. Great ridin....
Why you not ridin fixed man, then the brakes aren't such a big factor?

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Tbird wrote: Looks fantastic especially the fake "raw" finish much nicer than the last model which was just black
Actually, its not a fake raw finish at all. Its raw steel with a clear coat. One of the reasons I bought mine!

I love mine. Its my second. I rebought the same bike in a smaller size after realising the original paddy I bought was the wrong size.

In my mind, the paddy is a great practical commuter and fun bike. A less severe geometry than a typical track conversion. Comes stock with road drops and hoods, which are far more practical than track drops I think.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I can't see the plods using one as a divvy van though :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote: Why you not ridin fixed man...?
Quoted for truth 8)

Definitely on the shortlist for my Fixed upgrade, I love the raw steel look.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Tbird

Postby Tbird » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Why you not ridin fixed man...?

Don't worry I bought this just for that purpose 8)
2013 Kona Paddy Wagon
2012 BH Ultralight Enve
2011 GT Zaskar Carbon Pro
2007 Apollo Record
2009 Apollo Record