my first race

stevos

my first race

Postby stevos » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 am

:lol: hey,

had my first group ride yesterday and really enjoyed it, couldnt beleive how easy it is if you not at the front pulling :lol:

Anyway ive got my first race on saturday which should be abit of fun, not expecting to do any good but should be fun :D
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:30 am

Where abouts are you racing?....

stevos

Postby stevos » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:47 am

im racing at mallala, im from adelaide :lol:
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:54 am

Good to see you enjoyed your first club ride. Have fun in that first race
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

stevos

Postby stevos » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:20 am

any tips mike?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:30 am

I have a couple...don't get suckered into doing too much work,keep your speed up in the corners,hold your line and enjoy!!! :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:48 am

And don't get dropped. The pace will go up and down so hang in there for dear life because it will get easier

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:56 am

Practice your wind riding (good day for it today, it's quite blustery down here) because it's ALWAYS windy at Mallala, and very drying too, so make sure you're properly hydrated. Around the race track or on some of those long, straight roads? At least you won't have any hills to worry about.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

stevos

Postby stevos » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 pm

europa wrote:Practice your wind riding (good day for it today, it's quite blustery down here) because it's ALWAYS windy at Mallala, and very drying too, so make sure you're properly hydrated. Around the race track or on some of those long, straight roads? At least you won't have any hills to worry about.

Richard
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/PA ... -Race-75km

thats the map, from malalla and back. sure got plenty of riding in me on monday when it was windy, nearly got blown of my bike a few times. made it fun going into a huge headwind while getting swooped by a magpie, lol :P

im planning to get as much water and pasta into me the day before is that the go? thanks

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:44 am

The best way to carb load is to do a gentle ride the day before but near the end of the ride do a near max effort (very short is apparently fine) then warm down and eat.Apparently this helps your body to take in the maximum amount of energy into your muscles etc.Always eat within 30 mins of a ride....even a chocolate milk is good.
Having food 4-3 hours before racing is ideal on the day of the race.
Also drink plenty of fluids,not sure how long your race is but being your first race you will probably not drink enough or even forget to drink at all.So if you are well lubed before hand it wont hurt too much.

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:10 am

Good luck for Saturday!!

Hope to give racing a go sometime soon myself.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:31 am

Yeh, let us know how it went

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:12 am

Toolonglegs tip about the day before is good advice - as is the 'eat early on the day' advice. Hydrate till you bust, then pee right before you start - a blustery day will pull the fluid out of you without your really noticing it, so you need your tank pretty full at the beginning. Early in my racing life, I was advised to drink regularly - but it was easer said than done.
It's been a while since I was an Adelaide boy, but I expect that you'll have mainly W - NW winds, so it will be deceptive - tailwind on the way out, headwind back. Don't kill yourself too early, because I expect that the last third of the ride will feel pretty tough.
I'm also guessing that PACC is the Port Adelaide Cycling Club. I don't know how they handicap new riders, but don't be embarassed to start in a really low grade - they can always promote you!
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

sogood

Re: my first race

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:25 am

stevos wrote:had my first group ride yesterday and really enjoyed it, couldnt beleive how easy it is if you not at the front pulling :lol:
Just noticed this one. Remember, the guy who is pulling is getting all the benefits out of that training ride. So move up and pull and enjoy the suffering. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:48 pm

sogood wrote:
stevos wrote:had my first group ride yesterday and really enjoyed it, couldnt beleive how easy it is if you not at the front pulling :lol:
Just noticed this one. Remember, the guy who is pulling is getting all the benefits out of that training ride. So move up and pull and enjoy the suffering. :wink:
Yeah,but how much do they hate sprinters in the race bunch when they are hiding from the wind all race just to sprint thru for the win.The way I see it is it is a race,it is all about tactics,not necessarily doing a turn on the front....isn't the aim to win a race,not be the guy who did all the work and then got dropped in the final burst.
PS...what that has to do with the above statement I don't know :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yeah,but how much do they hate sprinters in the race bunch when they are hiding from the wind all race just to sprint thru for the win.The way I see it is it is a race,it is all about tactics,not necessarily doing a turn on the front....isn't the aim to win a race,not be the guy who did all the work and then got dropped in the final burst.
PS...what that has to do with the above statement I don't know :wink:
Agreed, but that's for races rather than training rides.

I guess the issue isn't that great when it's a team based event where teammates can do the lead early and drive up the pace. But for those individual based criteriums, there does seem to be a code to take your turns at the front. Yet again, if you go too hard and turn it into a breakaway, then you'll get an automatic upgrade and not be appreciated. Weird dynamics isn't it?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:11 pm

Yes, the races are geared for sprinters. If you come out of the pack and sprint for the finish you probably won't get bumped up a grade where if you win by a breakaway you probably will get bumped up a grade.

stevos

Postby stevos » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:39 pm

i got killed in my first race :lol: i got dropped by my group after about 5ks on a 76km race, i tried to latch onto the following groups but the pace was just to quick. :cry: so it was me alone for most of the way and on the way back into the headwind, i didnt come last, but i didnt do very well, i was pretty disapointed in myself.

The main thing is i had a blast :lol:

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:06 am

Good onya stevos...you got in there, had a crack, and most of all as you said, you had a blast!!!! Keep at it mate, look forward to hearing how your next race goes.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:44 am

Good on you for giving it a go?...was it a handicap or graded scratch race?.It is a total blast and getting dropped just motivates you to train harder and not let it happen next time.76k's is a big first race.Your body needs to get used to higher intensity and your head needs to get around riding in a race bunch which is a light tighter and more aggresive than a training bunch ride.Better luck next time!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 am

stevos wrote:The main thing is i had a blast :lol:
Great to hear you enjoyed yourself.

As per toolong, 76k is a long race, the longest race I've done is 50k.

Head for the club racing scene and have some more fun.

stevos

Postby stevos » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:27 am

:lol: im hopefully going to race in a crit this sunday depends how this cold goes.

The race was a handicap i got 13 mins on the last rider and still got killed, lol

And yes 76ks is a long way, well the first 60ks flew by but the last 15 killed me, took ages :lol: