Ricardo Appreciation Society

bowie

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Thread

Postby bowie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Ahhh here it is :P

The first road bike I had ever actually ridden. (at 24years of ago :oops: ) Previously I had a host of mountain bikes with what I thought at the time were "proper" wheels :lol:

Anyway.. This thing started what I know label my obsession with cycling. It was ridden to uni, band practice to and from work, it was a great ol' thing.

we fitted a computer we got from somewhere and took much joy in being able to crack 60km/h on the down ramp onto the bypass Tehehe . Ahhh its back with my flat mates father now in Sydney..

Shame really.. would have made a great SS.
b is for bicycle :D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:17 pm

Well I have had some bottom bracket issues with my Berretto Fix so I needed an interim ride for my commute to work. The other thing was it needed to be slapped together this weekend with parts I had lying around the shed. The obvious frame choice was the Ricardo that was collecting dust and rust on the rack so down it came. I slapped the campy wheelset off the Berretto on the frame with some dodgy tyres, Repacked the headset bearings, chucked on some Shimano 600 Arabesque 165mm cranks and brakes and my Brooks pro. Taped up the bars, note to self never get Cinelli "red" cork ribbon again, Cinelli's concept of red looks a little to pink for me :lol: >. Turned out alright and I took her for a spin.

Wow.

Big difference in feel going from Columbus SLX frame and fork to Tange Champion 5 frame and Tange Cr-mo fork. There is little compliance in the fork and I think a frame like this is calling out for some 32mm tyres. As for the brakes :roll: . I have to say that Shimano has come a long way in brake design in the last 30 years, the old 600's are more a speed reducer rather than a brake. Here is some piccies, excuse my crap photography skills and filthy garage :lol: .

Minority

Postby Minority » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:27 pm

My brotherinlaw has a Ricardo Nouvo and it is a classic "garage queen", I doubt that it has been ridden more than five times and most of those would have been just round the block.

It has a Tange Champion No2 frame (made in Australia according to the sticker), full Shimano 600 group and Araya 700c wheels.

I have threatened to clean it up for him to see if he can still ride it!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Minority wrote:My brotherinlaw has a Ricardo Nouvo and it is a classic "garage queen", I doubt that it has been ridden more than five times and most of those would have been just round the block.

It has a Tange Champion No2 frame (made in Australia according to the sticker), full Shimano 600 group and Araya 700c wheels.

It's in be-a-utiful condition - compared to mine of the same age which are, ahem, "well loved".
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Minority

Postby Minority » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Minority wrote:My brotherinlaw has a Ricardo Nouvo and it is a classic "garage queen", I doubt that it has been ridden more than five times and most of those would have been just round the block.

It's in be-a-utiful condition - compared to mine of the same age which are, ahem, "well loved".

Yes, it wouldn't take much cleaning to make it just about pristine, a great buy if he decides to sell it.

(or give it to me, it would fit (but I've got way too many bikes anyway, just not in that condition))

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:34 pm

My Ricardo "Windcheater" conversion... *

*Which I no longer own.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

moog

Postby moog » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 pm

I have recently acquired a Ricardo Medallion. It is a black 10 speed beast. Anyone know anything about them. I am going to do a conversion, but would be keen to keep the decals. Does anyone know of anywhere that does decals?
I appreciate any assistance.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:00 am

G'Day Moog, welcome outside.

Google "cyclomondo" (sp)? They do lots, may have Ricardo.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Thoglette

Heads up - about to post a WTT Perth

Postby Thoglette » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:48 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:My Ricardo ....which I no longer own.
With all the pace of an Ent on Valium, I've made a decision. Finally.

I'm not going to repair my 53cm/21" Ricardo Nuovo with-the-bent-forks (see page 1 of this thread). Nor am I going to build up the matching 62cm/25" Ricardo Nuovo.

One is too small, one is too large. And neigher have eyelets for fenders and rack, which I've become quite fond of on my 23" Gordonson. Which fits but is mild steel, intended for 27" tyres and rather rusty. Rusty even by the standards of my in-need-of-an-acid-bath-and-respray Ricardos.

Which leaves me with a hodgepodge of '50s, '80s, '90s and naughties bits looking for a frame.

So I'm about to (in my own good time) try swap one or both of these for a single 23" CroMo frame, preferably fully lugged and equipped with a complete set of eyelets. If it was a mixte I'd be estatic. It'll end up as a non-historic daily rider so I'm not after a concours contender. Being lazy I'd rather not have to strip/swap BB and/or head sets.

I'm pretty brand agnostic but figured the Perth based Ricardo mob might appreciate the heads-up.

Yours, moving veeery slowly.
Thog.
Ps. I don't believe George has anything like this in stock.
pps Yes, dear moderators, I will Xref the member-to-member thread when I get around to posting it. Don't be hasty! :-)

tier

Postby tier » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 am

My old Ricardo, pretty good condition, Tange tubing, complete with Shimano gearing, Weinmann brakes etc. Sadly, the frame was was a bit too big for me and was sold to finance the replacement.

DaSchmooze

Postby DaSchmooze » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:23 am

Oh man... Ive recently got back into cycling after numerous years away from the sport. Getting full on into again and loving being fit and healthy. Following the sport so much and reminiscing I thought I'd google my first proper road bike... and just above me here it is... a ricardo Viva Sport! Thats the exact same colour too - green fade to white! So many happy memories!

fatti

Postby fatti » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 am

I got a flash new Ricardo mountain bike for my Birthday when I was 17 and I still have it 20 years later. I havent ridden it since high school though as my dad used it. It sat in my dads shed for that long and only recently when they moved he gave it back to me. Tyres are flat now but its all in pretty good nick. I even thought about buying new tyres for it and getting it on the road again. Was a 15 speed, with oval shaped front cogs, all alloy bits and the rims were concave where the spokes went in. It was state of the art when I got it. I will get some pics tomorrow after work and put them up.

bowiesimon

Postby bowiesimon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Howdy all,

Have just purchased a classic old Ricardo frame. Can anyone give me a rundown on basic stats for these beauties? I need BB size, cranks as standard and also recommended ratios (I was thinking 46/17) for setting it up as a fixie.

Any advice or opinions welcomed....

-Bowie

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:17 am

bowiesimon wrote:Have just purchased a classic old Ricardo frame. Can anyone give me a rundown on basic stats for these beauties? I need BB size, cranks as standard and also recommended ratios (I was thinking 46/17) for setting it up as a fixie.
The ones I've had were all "standard" - that is, English BB and 1" threaded headset. Shimano 600 was standard equipment for the Tange 2 frames.

Gear ratios are up to your legs (and hills). But if it's a full Tange frame, please resist the urge to remove shifter lugs etc !

bowiesimon

Postby bowiesimon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:42 pm

Thoglette wrote:
bowiesimon wrote:Have just purchased a classic old Ricardo frame. Can anyone give me a rundown on basic stats for these beauties? I need BB size, cranks as standard and also recommended ratios (I was thinking 46/17) for setting it up as a fixie.
The ones I've had were all "standard" - that is, English BB and 1" threaded headset. Shimano 600 was standard equipment for the Tange 2 frames.

Gear ratios are up to your legs (and hills). But if it's a full Tange frame, please resist the urge to remove shifter lugs etc !
Thanks for the info Thoglette - why the comment about removal of the shifter lugs etc? I know many fixie / single retro rebuilds are doing that these days to give a cleaner look. Any reason why you asked that? Are you after a frame yourself?

Bowie

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:34 pm

bowiesimon wrote:Thanks for the info Thoglette - why the comment about removal of the shifter lugs etc? I know many fixie / single retro rebuilds are doing that these days to give a cleaner look. Any reason why you asked that? Are you after a frame yourself?
Bowie - I think I can speak for Thog here; there's an bit of an ill feeling towards people whom make modifications to classic old frames - just in for the sake of fashion. If the bike is ever to be restored, or updated with more modern running gear, shaving the bosses, guides & hanger off make it a pain in the bum, necessitating taking the frame to a builder to re-add stuff removed.

My daily rider is a Ricardo Viva - FG conversion I stil even have the shifters mounted on mine. Fashioned be buggered.

If you insist on shaving things off your bike do it to some old generic Taiwanese plain gauge boiler pipe wonder. This description may possibly may even include some of the lower entry level Ricardos, but if you have a nicer example - they're worth keeping as is. I am sure Ricardo were one of the last big Aussie names who did any reasonable scale of production domestically.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:53 pm

bowiesimon wrote:Thanks for the info Thoglette - why the comment about removal of the shifter lugs etc? I know many fixie / single retro rebuilds are doing that these days to give a cleaner look. Any reason why you asked that?
The Humber's pretty much got it covered - the better frames deserve a little reflective contemplation.

It'd be a bit like dechroming a Alfa GTA to give a cleaner look. (Or drilling the forks of a classic track bike to fit brakes).

You just want to understand what you're doing before you do it.

Which doesn't rule out a fixed or SS conversion - they are damn good frames.
bowiesimon wrote: Are you after a frame yourself?
Always :-) Currently running a Malvern 1-star and it's not the same as my old Nuovo.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 pm

HappyHumber wrote:do it to some old generic Taiwanese plain gauge boiler pipe wonder.
I thought this was the definition for a Ricardo :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Ooowwooooooow!!! What's that baying I hear?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bowiesimon

Postby bowiesimon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 am

HappyHumber wrote:
Bowie - I think I can speak for Thog here; there's an bit of an ill feeling towards people whom make modifications to classic old frames - just in for the sake of fashion. If the bike is ever to be restored, or updated with more modern running gear, shaving the bosses, guides & hanger off make it a pain in the bum, necessitating taking the frame to a builder to re-add stuff removed.

My daily rider is a Ricardo Viva - FG conversion I stil even have the shifters mounted on mine. Fashioned be buggered.

If you insist on shaving things off your bike do it to some old generic Taiwanese plain gauge boiler pipe wonder. This description may possibly may even include some of the lower entry level Ricardos, but if you have a nicer example - they're worth keeping as is. I am sure Ricardo were one of the last big Aussie names who did any reasonable scale of production domestically.
Howdy Humber - I totally get you. No problems. Ok, I just picked up the frame, and apart from some surface rust spots that will come off easily, it's in great nick. I've sent a message to that Cyclomondo dude to see if I can get a replacement set of decals. The bike is the Ricardo Racemaster model. I'm about to go photograph and measure it, and will post shortly.

If anyone has a contact for an original (or suitable retro fit) set of forks - I'd love to hear from them!!

bowiesimon

Postby bowiesimon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:03 am

il padrone wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:do it to some old generic Taiwanese plain gauge boiler pipe wonder.
I thought this was the definition for a Ricardo :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Ooowwooooooow!!! What's that baying I hear?
*lol* Nice sledge!!

bowiesimon

Postby bowiesimon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:15 pm

I think I'm gonna enjoy my project Ricardo!!

Here she is - fresh out of the car, straight from Ebay - cost me the princely sum of $5.25.
The strange thing is it cost me more than that to travel up and down Eastlink from Frankston to Upwey to pick her up! Go figure.....

Anyway - the measurements are:
Top stem from seat to headstem: 53cms
Seat to BB stem: 58cms
Head stem to BB stem: 59cms

Model: Ricardo Racemaster - no other distinguishable descriptions

Bike features: pump brackets, but no cable lugs on top stem

My summary: good bargain for $5, but a s***load of work ahead on my time off.

Question - what have people found is the best way to remove the surface rust? I was thinking of starting with really good clean, then a mild steel wool? It's gonna need a complete powder coat and new decals, so the paint is superfluos!

RichardoExeed

Postby RichardoExeed » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:54 am

Just joined to show my Limited ed Tri-series Ricardo Exeed [White with black wave], The bike started off as an appollo delta until the frame was killed and I replaced it with this one. Over the years I have replaced most of the parts [exept handle bars, seat & brakes]. just fitted some Campy 'Zonda's' with Conti 4000s tires, nice ;). fitted the 130mm into the 126mm spacing great. bike was originaly a 14speed i think, now an 18 with a 54/42 front and a 11-26 rear. I found I only need to stay in the 54 top plate to ride [Sits on around 30-40Kph on the flat and rides well at 60-80Kph and I still use toe clips. not sure on how to add a pic yet, some info would be nice. What can I say, I just like passing the Pro's in all their getup and carbon frames. They look in disbelief. Enjoy Your Ricardo Even if it is rustin away :0.
Last edited by RichardoExeed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowiesimon

Postby bowiesimon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 am

Gooday mate - sounds awesome!!

To post pics: go to: www.photobucket.com
Craet a free account and then upload your pics, and access the direct link code - voila!!
Let me know if you need help.

-Bowie

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:24 pm

bowiesimon wrote:I've sent a message to that Cyclomondo dude to see if I can get a replacement set of decals.
Please let me know how you go with this. I'm quite interested in "Ricardo" & "elite" decals. :P

bowiesimon

Postby bowiesimon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm

brendan03 wrote:
bowiesimon wrote:I've sent a message to that Cyclomondo dude to see if I can get a replacement set of decals.
Please let me know how you go with this. I'm quite interested in "Ricardo" & "elite" decals. :P
Will do - no word in response as yet