Who's in for the Alpine Classic or ACE250?

psike

Who's in for the Alpine Classic or ACE250?

Postby psike » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Is anyone from Canberra going down to the Alpine Classic? I'm thinking about going down for the week of cycling in Bright before hand then attempting either the Classic 200 or the ACE250.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

vanilla

Re: Who's in for the Alpine Classic or ACE250?

Postby vanilla » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm down the far south coast - Pambula Beach. Rode Fitz's on Sunday- see post. Going down to Bright for the 140. Got 2 or 3 bunks on hold at the Backpackers in town that may be going spare depending on whether or not my crew get organised and the fire weather. I upgraded from the Tharwa to the Classic on Sunday and may do the same again for Bright. Do you have to qualify for the 200?

psike

Postby psike » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Don't believe you need to qualify for the 200. For the 250 if you don't have a decent time on previous 200s you have to leave at 4am which means under lights. That said, it would be cooler... Accommodation is a problem around Bright, I'm looking to camp, but might take the night before further out with a 1/2hr drive to town to make sure I can at least get a good nights rest before hand.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:16 pm

I am seriously considering hitting the 200. Sounds like a fun challenge. Anyone found a relief map of the ride? Would like to see the hills. Getting rid of my compact chainrings soon, so should be a bit more of a challenge. The advice about accomodation is handy. Ta. Camping sounds like a reasonable option.

Edit: found the relief and map... Looks OK. Nothing over 6%. 200k's shouldnt be too hard. One climb is 19km long, though. :P
http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/A ... AAC200.htm

vanilla

Postby vanilla » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:05 pm

mr golf,
just to change the subject for a sec. you might be the man i need to talk to as I notice you have got a merida matts. I am looking at buying a mountain bike for around a$1000. I am a merida fan and already have two in the stable (roadies). I buy from cyclecity lineham who currently have some specials on Bike exchange. However the merida site only gives specs not really comparisons so I was hoping you could shed some light on the differences. The intended use is endurance trail ( Otway odyssey)
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/favourites
Thanks in advance
Saul

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Hey Saul. Happy to discuss this stuff with you. The Matts is my old MTB from 2000. I upgraded to the HFS early this year. I stuck with Merida cos I think they are great value and quality and they aint Giant. Have you got the model names and specs? The link didnt specify any bikes.

Edit: is the difference between the Trail and non Trail models?

vanilla

Postby vanilla » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:33 pm

I'm trying to work out the difference between the 100D, 300D and 550D. They also make a distinction between XC and Trail. You can sort by New>ACT>Merida> mountainbikes and add the cyclecity ones to the list I tried to send it but obviously did'nt show. I like the 550 but hate the colour. The 300 is probably the next choice but any advice you could give on componentry would be great. I read on another site about some past concerns with weight and the front forks...
Cheers
Saul

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 pm

The basic rule with current Merida bikes is the higher the number, the better the componentry. As with roadies, the better the componentry level, the lighter the bike. My 1000D XC weighs just under 12kgs. The basic ones weigh up to 4-5kgs more. Makes climbing a lot easier...

As for the trail vs XC thing (I had a quick squiz at the bikes available from cycle city), the difference is huge. I rode a 1000D Trail and the 1000D XC and the riding position was hugely different. The Trails have you sitting very upright and are aimed for maximum stability but not necessarily speed. The XC frames have a longer top tube and you are able to get right in behind the bars. Handling on the XC frames is quicker. XC is basically race geometry, vs casual recreational feel for the Trail. I opted for the XC cos I wanted to be able to tuck in behind the bars. The feel is closer to a roadie. To me, Trail seems like a pennyfarthing by comparison.

Both bikes are nice. In my opinion, try to find the best mix of components and lightness. If you can stretch to this, it would be the one I would go for. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/sh ... 500-d-dart Ride a few, including some more high specced ones, see what you think. I had a budget of <$1500, ended up stretching cos I could see the sense in spending a little more for a much lighter product. :thumbup:

vanilla

Postby vanilla » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks, great info, especially about the trail vs XC riding position that makes all the difference. I had the dart originally on the list. Like the idea of the rockshocks too. might just have to redo the budget... Buy you recovery drink at Bright
Saul

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:30 pm

No worries, bud. Are you doing the 200 or 250? The 250 seems like a less hilly route. Not sure it would be that much harder. Still aiming for the 200. A bit worried about accommodation, though.

vanilla

Postby vanilla » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:50 pm

I am down for the 140km but am upgrading to the 200. Fitz's classic was my first event and I can't believe the improvement in my riding since. As mentioned earlier I put a couple of extra bunks on hold at the Backpackers and will find out soon if any are available. I will post as soon as I know.