New Wheels - Which Ones???

Ekans

New Wheels - Which Ones???

Postby Ekans » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:17 am

Hi there,

Firstly, great Forum and intersting reads.

I'd appreciate some advice on wheels as I going to get a new set.

About me;

Weight- 115kgs :shock:
Fitness level - Med
Km's per week - 50-80kms
Current Wheels - Shimano R550

The problem;

It appears that the shimano's are way too soft which is what I have been told from retailers. No argurment there - I'm sick of the wheels buckling under my force :x and I like things to be straight :wink: I've been riding weekly for 6 months now.

The Solution;

Suggestions appreciated, I'm looking at Mavic Cosmic Elites as they appear to be very strong. Budget $750-$1000.

Feedback appreciated. :?:

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 am

Mavic Open Pros/DT 1.2s on Ultegra Hubs with suitable spokes and built up by your favourite wheel builder

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:39 am

Putting aside the quality of the R550, in what ways are you finding your current wheels buckling under your force? And what kind of riding do you do? If the retailer didn't tell you anything about the R550, would you have noticed anything particular?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Ekans

Postby Ekans » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 am

sogood wrote:Putting aside the quality of the R550, in what ways are you finding your current wheels buckling under your force? And what kind of riding do you do? If the retailer didn't tell you anything about the R550, would you have noticed anything particular?
The problem occurs with the rear wheel (which does the most work). I ride on the road. The rim is bending and it appreas that I am having to have the buckles taken out on a weekly basis. When I bought the bike, I knew very little about the R550's. I think they are a nice wheel, just not suited to a bruser like me.

crog

Postby crog » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:12 am

I too fit into your weight ration although I am trying to get it down and are also cycling as part of my fitness regieme although on a MTB at the moment whist I build up a road bike

I have been told that the Mavic Touring Rim A319 is pretty much bullet proof (only available 36 hole version)

This is what i am considering for the Cecil unless others can advise something more suitable.

My opinion is strength over weight as weekend touring etc is my game.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:12 am

I would stay away from the cosmics,bit on the light side.I am the same weight as you and ride on Ksyrim Elites...I have had problems with them but over all they last very well.It really depends which way you want to go...I have a lightish bike considering it is a 63cm (7.75kg) but on some parts I would rather pay the penalty and have something stiff.36 Hole open pro rims built up on old style dura ace hubs are pretty light but good enough for Roubaix.Problem is at 115kgs you will crack rims no matter what you ride,sometimes you get big miles out of them before it happens,sometimes they go with in the year.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:55 am

Ekans wrote:The problem occurs with the rear wheel (which does the most work). I ride on the road. The rim is bending and it appreas that I am having to have the buckles taken out on a weekly basis. When I bought the bike, I knew very little about the R550's. I think they are a nice wheel, just not suited to a bruser like me.
Are you saying that the rim would flex significantly even when you are riding on the flat? That would be quite amazing. :shock:

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:11 pm

I'm in your weight range and killed a couple of rims (campag and araya). Put a velocity deep-v on and had no problems, just a little heavy. Have also used an old Wolber tx profil, stood up to everything but the car. Currently using a velocity fusion, as strong as the deep-v but a lot lighter. And its Australian.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 pm

sogood wrote:
Ekans wrote:The problem occurs with the rear wheel (which does the most work). I ride on the road. The rim is bending and it appreas that I am having to have the buckles taken out on a weekly basis. When I bought the bike, I knew very little about the R550's. I think they are a nice wheel, just not suited to a bruser like me.
Are you saying that the rim would flex significantly even when you are riding on the flat? That would be quite amazing. :shock:
I would believe it...I have one of the stiffest bikes on the market but if I look at the seatpost while riding it moves nearly an inch each way at the top of the post when I am cranking it.Also I have to have the brakes backed off when racing as the wheels rub in a sprint.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I would believe it...I have one of the stiffest bikes on the market but if I look at the seatpost while riding it moves nearly an inch each way at the top of the post when I am cranking it.Also I have to have the brakes backed off when racing as the wheels rub in a sprint.
Wow, an inch! No wonder things break. :shock:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:36 pm

That is why my frames snap or crack quite often around the BB,I suppose it can only take it for so long.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:26 pm

Toolong, you must put more stress on your bike than Matty Hines

Image Image
Last edited by mikesbytes on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:27 pm

I want to know what wheels Matt use.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:30 pm

sogood wrote:I want to know what wheels Matt use.
Have a look on Sunday when you are overtaking him

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 pm

Yes and he had a go at me for sitting on B grade on Saturday....not sure how he could see that from the start finish line while I was on the opposite side?....luckily a few B grade riders set it straight.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:40 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Have a look on Sunday when you are overtaking him
Haven't seen him on our regular Sun route for a while now. I wondered if he has turned into a trackie?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:43 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yes and he had a go at me for sitting on B grade on Saturday....not sure how he could see that from the start finish line while I was on the opposite side?....luckily a few B grade riders set it straight.
Now he's in C grade, I need to factor him in. He lacks speed, but is a good sprinter (must be the centre of balance). I recon that 2 laps at high speed should drop him.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:43 pm

This is the list that i can remember...
Marin - first MTB and it stayed together...(cro - mo)
Gary Fisher ProCaliber MTB....snapped 3 of these in a year!....(alloy)
Barracuda MTB ....lasted a long time and i loved it....snapped chain stay (steel)
Trek 8000 MTB....lasted not long....snapped chain stay (alloy)
Specialized Allez ....only bike I have ever sold!.
Cytek Massimo Dura Ace....folded in half under car :cry:
Kona Dawg MTB...went thru 3 of these...under warranty
Cytek Mark 2 ...snapped chain stay
Thats what I can remember...bit of a pattern here :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:45 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Yes and he had a go at me for sitting on B grade on Saturday....not sure how he could see that from the start finish line while I was on the opposite side?....luckily a few B grade riders set it straight.
Now he's in C grade, I need to factor him in. He lacks speed, but is a good sprinter (must be the centre of balance). I recon that 2 laps at high speed should drop him.
He has been dropped the times I have been there,but at the rate they are promoting ppl he will be in B soon :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 pm

I am surprised that LBS and manufacturers haven't put you on their black list. :wink:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:55 pm

crog wrote:I have been told that the Mavic Touring Rim A319 is pretty much bullet proof (only available 36 hole version)
I was just about to order one of these myself, when I read that many cycle tourists in the US have said that these are prone to cracking.

I'm now looking at ordering a 76 spoke wheel from a chopper manufacturer. Yes they do exist. At least I won't have to worry about my rear wheel bending anymore. :D

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

crog

Postby crog » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:10 pm

[/crog wrote:
I have been told that the Mavic Touring Rim A319 is pretty much bullet proof (only available 36 hole version)

I was just about to order one of these myself, when I read that many cycle tourists in the US have said that these are prone to cracking.

I'm now looking at ordering a 76 spoke wheel from a chopper manufacturer. Yes they do exist. At least I won't have to worry about my rear wheel bending anymore.
]

Great I had just about gone this way more research!!. The velocity deep V comes in a 40 hole pattern as does the Ayad. I suppose 40 rear and 36 front would work well .

back to the drawing board but any thougts on the Ayad

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Just thinking aloud....but I have never had too much trouble with the strength of a wheel...I mean this by the spoke count.My trouble has been with rims cracking...have had about 4 go.I don't know that been a 28spoke of 40 spoke would have made much difference.Does anyone know?

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:32 pm

My understanding is that the quality of the build and choice of components is more important than the specific number of spokes. I guess that means regularly checking the spoke tension and trueness through the life of the wheel.