Pedestrian and Cycling Infrastructure Review

HAKS

Pedestrian and Cycling Infrastructure Review

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 pm

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/sustain ... nd_cycling

The Department of Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) is inviting public input into a review currently being undertaken into the ACT's cycling and pedestrian network as part of the Sustainable Transport Action Plan 2010-2016. This Action Plan will detail how the Government will work towards increasing walking and cycling to be 14% of all journeys made to work by 2026.

The review is aimed at determining future priorities for improving the network, particularly within the City, Belconnen, Woden, Tuggeranong and Gungahlin town centres, as well as major employment centres such as Fyshwick, Hume, Mitchell, Barton/Parkes and the Canberra Airport.

The review includes identification of accessibility path networks in the town centres for visually and mobility impaired people.

The following criteria will be used to assess and prioritise each project:

* connectivity;
* demand;
* network enhancement;
* safety;
* cost effectiveness; and
* opportunity to be constructed as part of other projects.

From this process, a list of key projects will be developed to be constructed in the coming years. The proposed walking and cycling facilities for Civic, Woden, Belconnen, Tuggeranong and Gungahlin can be seen in the maps on this site.

--------------------------------------------

I welcome most of the proposals. A big one for me is on road cycling lanes for Hindmarsh Drive between Woden & Symonston. I would love to tackle that hill on the way to work but currently its to dangerous. Also liking the increased linkages to Stromlo Forest Park etc. If all the brown lines on the trunk map between Stromlo & Lake BG are developed into sealed cycle paths I would be quite happy and would regularly string together training rides through there especially once the Arboretum is complete.

I encourage everyone to fill out a feedback form or get down to a display and let someone know what you think.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)