Lung training?

RobRollin

Lung training?

Postby RobRollin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:31 am

One of the guys I ride with is a triathlete and competes on a State and at the Worlds level. He has been talking to me about lung training. Using a Power Lung to increase your lung strength, breathing and performance.

Anyone used such a device and program?

Thanks

Rob C

sogood

Re: Lung training?

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:43 am

RobRollin wrote:One of the guys I ride with is a triathlete and competes on a State and at the Worlds level. He has been talking to me about lung training. Using a Power Lung to increase your lung strength, breathing and performance.
The lung isn't a muscular structure and it flops into a pile when not supported. The only thing that thing will do is to "exercise" your respiratory muscles on the chest/abdominal walls. Might as well learn and play the trumpet instead. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:23 pm

snake oil

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:03 pm

I use a carefully adjusted garotte.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:10 am

There is some evidence that lung training has some minor benfit, although I haven't bothered looking it up to post here.

Swimming has for many years been considered beneficial for lung conditions such as Asthma because, in part, it trains individuals to control breathing amongst other theoretical benefits. I would have thought a triathlete would gain plenty of 'lung' training in the pool, by varying breathing patterns etc. This must be tempted as my experience is based on being an average sportsman for many years and holding Physical Education major within a teaching qualification. To get better understanding I would have to go look at published research.

I remember reading somewhere recently a story of a 'biker' training with two elite runners and noting that although one had a vastly superior V02 reading, his technique did not allow him to make the most of that efficiency. The other runner had almost fluid/flawless technique which allowed him greater efficiency and stamina. At a shool level, I put great emphasis on learning correct technique, including basics such as running and swimming.

On the whole, I tend to favour training for fitness, endurance and technique over a lung trainer.