My rides to date.....

Bluerider

My rides to date.....

Postby Bluerider » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:58 pm

After seeing coffenut and Kevs achievements I thought it was time I entered what I have done since buying my Felt on the 25th July.

Having been a passionate sportsman all my 47yrs as mentioned before road cycling is my next passion for retaining a level of fitness into the second stage of my life I suppose. (I took on golf 10yrs ago and really enjoy it but it lacks that speed/pace factor I enjoy)
Last game of the season (soccer) Saturday just past so now I can really focus on my riding.
I have had 4 rides which have been on early morning Sundays backing up after games (beaten up/bruised/fatigued and maybe a red or 2 :lol: ).

Now I am at the hands of a friend who started 1yr ago and has built up a varying network of cycling friends from the serious to lets say the cruisers which he gets me to join in with.

1st ride 60ks ?
Ryde > Anzac Bridge > Centennial Park (6laps) > Rocks > Harbour Bridge > Pac Hwy to Chatswood > back down to Epping Rd to Ryde.
2nd ride 50k
Can't remember the route :? :oops: :lol:
3rd ride 70k
Ryde > Anzac Bridge > city through Wolloomoloo > Cross (followed the city to surf course before it started) > Watsons Bay > Bondi > Coogee > onto Anzac pde back to East Sydney > Anzac Bridge > Vic rd. > Ryde.
4th ride 65k
Ryde > Lane Cove > Pac Hwy to Hornsby > Mt.Kuring-gai > Bobbin Head > Pymble > Pac Hwy Chatswood > Lane Cove > Ryde.

6am starts back home between 10 10.30am, a reward stop of caffiene shots at halfway points :)
Now sorry I don't have all the stats like Kev has I only just got a computer for the bike this week.
The k's were advised by my friend and I have been in awe what I have done to date. Tired after soccer games each one but the adrenalin is high.
He thinks my average speed on Sundays ride would have been on 24k, now thats with going up Bobbin Head ! :x ask me 6mths ago I'd be riding up there and I would have :lol: my head off.

I have no staying power up hills, I expect that but now will be working on it having fresher legs.
My quads are sore !
I havent been getting out of the saddle much to preserve energy but looking forward to start working on picking up my pace.

Seeing Kev get to 100 is the next goal I suppose and also would be keen to do the Sydney/Gong run and others when family time permits.

Anyway thanks for reading and the help this nuthouse has been ! :D
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:58 pm

I've got no doubt you'll acheive these goals and more blue.

The trick is not to push yourself to total exhaustion at the start of the week. Take it slow and build up to longer and longer distances. Try to incororate some hills.
I read somewhere that it's a good training technique to find a long gradual hill, say 2 or 3km long and about 3-5%, and just ride up and down repeatedly, varying your pace and gearing but trying to keep your HR under 150.

As strength increases in your legs, you'll be able to use higher gearing and a constant cadence, while keeping the HR under 150. Then drop a couple of gears and really spin up the hill.

Like I said, it's something I read somewhere once, but I can't remember where.

Try googling cycle training techniques or something to help with ideas.

All the best. Might see you on the Gong ride if you can get away.

Cheers mate.

Kev.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:44 pm

60km on the first ride... Hard core stuff! :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 pm

One thing I would say is don't smash youself so much on rides that you don't want to ride the next day.Better to come home wanting more most times than totally exhausted.

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:One thing I would say is don't smash youself so much on rides that you don't want to ride the next day.Better to come home wanting more most times than totally exhausted.
Couldn't agree more...having recently got back on the bike myself, I am deliberately taking a slow and steady approach and am gradually building up the km's. Most of the time I have to force myself to not go to far over my training plan and not over do it.

But then it sounds like you're a hell of a lot fitter than I am, so just go out, enjoy yourself, and listen to what your legs tell you.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:50 am

Good points fellas I understand......and thanks for that Kev I have just the hill near my place to work on.

Funnily the first 3rides I have coped rather well and not felt too sore but last Sundays ride with the climb up Bobbin Head hit me ! :cry:
My quads were very fatigued after that and even the slightest grade on the run home I was gone :lol:
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:36 pm

As discussed in previous posts, I think a lot of blame for loss of energy can laid upon your diet the night before you ride.

After my 100km effort on the weekend, I was sooo hungry for hours afterwards, and even into the next day.

As I thought about why this would be so, I realised that all I had for dinner on Saturday night was a small stir fry with noodles. On the morning of the ride I had a light breakfast of vita-brits (2) with skim milk, and some yoghurt, and then took off about 90 minutes after that.

I seriously think that's why I bonked at the 60km mark.

Plannning another big ride tomorrow (got the day off), so I'm going to have a large meal tonight and a bit more for breaky tomorrow.

Will let you know how I fair.

Kev.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:41 pm

As said many times before, don't forget to also top up during that long ride. Keep bite sized food in your pocket for ease of retrieval.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:44 pm

whole baby potatoes boiled and then wraped in tin foil with butter rock on longrides...they go down so easily.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:26 pm

... in a word, bananas!

edited to put in the 'in'
Last edited by LuckyPierre on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Banana is great but mostly you have to stop to eat it. And one needs to consider how to handle the left over peel. :?

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:37 pm

I am a brekky person but (AT) 5.30am I'm not in the mood to have my cereal/caffiene and jump on 2wheels.
The night before I normally have a hearty meal so some fuel should still be in the tank.
I have my coffee first thing but in the back of my shirt is 2 x muesli bars and my made gatorade bottle.

toolonglegs that sounds yummy but having 3 kids who die for starch/carbs I'd be lucky to have 1 potato/or bread left by 10pm each night, whatever is left over its Gooooooone :D
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:06 pm

sogood wrote: ... one needs to consider how to handle the left over peel ...
I suppose I'm lucky in that regard. Bananas come in fully bio-degradable packaging :) and there are very few directions I can head where I am still in a built up area after 30 minutes riding. :) :) There's probably only one (a generally southerly ride takes me nearly the full north - south axis of Canberra) and even then I will have ridden through a significant open space. I dispose of banana skins thoughtfully, but I'm not above throwing them into the roadside bush.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Put the peel back in your jersey pocket, the jersey's gunna get washed after the ride anyway
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:34 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Put the peel back in your jersey pocket, the jersey's gunna get washed after the ride anyway
You mean you wash them EVERY TIME? :shock:

Richard
just teasing :wink:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:39 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Put the peel back in your jersey pocket, the jersey's gunna get washed after the ride anyway
True. But mixing that sticky stuff with the sweat isn't particularly pleasant. Also, don't forget to flip the pockets if you wash it. Or they won't necessarily come out.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:05 pm

europa wrote:
You mean you wash them EVERY TIME? :shock:

Richard
just teasing :wink:
The phrase "No Sweat" wasn't coined with me in mind.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 pm

I'm depressed :cry: didn't get to ride this weekend,too many commitments !! grrrrrrr
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:16 pm

boy i know that feeling,my wife pushes me out the door when i start getting grumpy because my endorphines are running low!.
Hate to tell you but I have done 3 days riding in a row :D

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Had a fun 58k's round Homebush bay last night with the Turramurra crowd.
Ventured over with a friend who lives close by and is a very casual member due to buying his Trek there.
What a great feeling riding on smooth roads and was surprised by the length of the lap. Traffic is dead obviously but for the odd car here and there.
This guy also is quite new,we both play O35 1st grade football(soccer) so have some form of fitness :roll: and rolled with C group.
The pace was slower than I expected but for sure B would be faster than I could cope with right now :lol:
What a gloryous night to be riding last night :D

I intend joining in on these runs every week work permitting, nice change to the weekend long rides and climbs :wink: yes I know these must be done to obtain the fitness level I desire and I'm sure the weekend runs made last night seem relatively comfortable if I can say that :)

Riding home in the Dark I was thinking the Black Cat may make it's first appearance but touch wood still none :D

This mate did the Gong ride last year and working on his bike fitness for this years run which is my agenda as well.
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:00 pm

Bluerider wrote:Had a fun 58k's round Homebush bay last night with the Turramurra crowd.
Ventured over with a friend who lives close by and is a very casual member due to buying his Trek there.
What a great feeling riding on smooth roads and was surprised by the length of the lap. Traffic is dead obviously but for the odd car here and there.
This guy also is quite new,we both play O35 1st grade football(soccer) so have some form of fitness :roll: and rolled with C group.
The pace was slower than I expected but for sure B would be faster than I could cope with right now :lol:
What a gloryous night to be riding last night :D

I intend joining in on these runs every week work permitting, nice change to the weekend long rides and climbs :wink: yes I know these must be done to obtain the fitness level I desire and I'm sure the weekend runs made last night seem relatively comfortable if I can say that :)

Riding home in the Dark I was thinking the Black Cat may make it's first appearance but touch wood still none :D

This mate did the Gong ride last year and working on his bike fitness for this years run which is my agenda as well.
I was talking to a mate who was there last night (young and skinny on a older trek)...I think he said they only had one bunch last night.They are great roads to be on,turramurra does a 7k lap...just beware as there are some real beginners there who I have seen do some really silly things.More so on Wed nights when they sprint every lap.
PS...come day light savings Turramurra moves to Bobbin Head.

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:14 pm

I was talking to a mate who was there last night (young and skinny on a older trek)...I think he said they only had one bunch last night.They are great roads to be on,turramurra does a 7k lap...just beware as there are some real beginners there who I have seen do some really silly things.More so on Wed nights when they sprint every lap.
PS...come day light savings Turramurra moves to Bobbin Head.[/quote]

Thanks TLL I did notice some interesting moves last night !
Mmm at the meet point they asked how many C's B's etc so I assumed there was 3packs though not big.
The C's me included rode off first but noticed everybody got mixed very early.
Then a pack (8 odd?) of the "quickies" sped off in front and gone.

Yer its a great lap can get some good pace up, thanks will look out Wed nights !
My mate told me last night it's Bobbin H come daylight savings, will do that from time to time but really loved doing a smooth circuit of some sort.
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:15 pm

Good stuff Bluerider!! Is the circuit your talking about (Turramurra) a closed circuit, i.e. a dedicated bike circuit with no cars etc?
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 pm

inaminit wrote:Good stuff Bluerider!! Is the circuit your talking about (Turramurra) a closed circuit, i.e. a dedicated bike circuit with no cars etc?
No its not a closed circuit inaminit, its the site of the 2000 Olympics (Homebush Bay) so therefore a big business district since which ends up being a ghost town weeknights. A few cars here and there but nothing to worry about and good light.
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:40 am

Did the Homebush ride again last night with my mate in the Turra crowd......
Within the 2nd 7k lap I was already struggling !
This was for 2 reasons.
1. Still recovering from Sundays 83k ride.
2. Wed night for the Turra crowd is mostly A and B graders, I wonder why I was struggling being a 47yr old noob :P :lol:

I hadn't said anything to my mate riding next to me who is few years younger but he came closer saying "cheez this sure is quicker than last week, how about we peel off to the back?!" I looked and nodded :D
Looking at the computer we were avg 30-33 I think.

Within another lap we ended up sitting at a comfortable pace for us dropping back further which didn't matter, it was great just to work out my soreness still did 50k's avg 25.

Quite a few packs there last night, Mascot rider shirts amongst others.

Still great place to just clock up some k's,build a sweat up and working on making my Syd/Gong ride comfortable enough.
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB