Campag or Suntour?

Minority

Campag or Suntour?

Postby Minority » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 pm

While looking for bits for my Indi Condor project I found a LBS with a basket labelled "everything $5". Always on the lookout for a bargain I rummaged through and found some NOS front derailleurs, something I needed.
I got two, a Suntour Superbe Pro and a Campagnolo Veloce. :lol:
The question is which one should I put on the bike?
The Suntour is more"in period" but the Campag is.... well I guess Campag.

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Sorry can't help answer your question. But out of curiosity where exactly is your LBS if you don't mind sharing.

Minority

Postby Minority » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:36 pm

The place I got these bits today was:

Cyclerama
2/1234 Albany Hwy,
Cannington 6107

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm

It depends on what you are doing with the bike. If you want a bike that works, go with what works best with the rest of the system. If you are trying to create a certain 'look', keeping all parts consistent will be essential.

In reality, it's only got to match your own aspirations and image. I don't know if that helps at all, but there are no 'concours' competitions in cycling and unless you are driven by what the local cafe set dictate, it's up to you.

Personally, I'd try to keep things consistent - if one bit is campy, I'd try to get all bits campy, if one bit is suntour, I'd try to get all bits suntour. Having said that, when the Europa still suffered the indignity of gears, she had an Ofmega groupset with a Shimano600 front dr and Suntour shifters - why? The Suntour shifters were what came with her when new and the Shimano600 front dr was what I bought with the Ofmega front dr fell apart.

Restoration? Keep it all consitent.
To ride? Use whatever you have to hand ... and maybe work towards consistency.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:44 am

Consistancy! I like that. In my case the only question is "does it come in black?" If the answer is no then I follow with: "Reckon I can pant it black?"

hartley

Europa

Postby hartley » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi just found this forum while searching the web for info on Raleigh Europa. I just purchased one and have cleaned it up, and its come up very nice. It has weinmann centre pull alloy brakes, SA hubs and Simplex gears. There is a sticker on the frame 1970-1971 profesional sprint championship or something along those lines. Couldn't believe the condition of bearings, chain etc when cleaned. I have about 40 old bikes, mostly pre 1930 so this thing isnt really what Im into but like it anyway. Can post some pics but cant work out how to. Any advise?[/img]

Kid_Carbine

Re: Campag or Suntour?

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Minority wrote:While looking for bits for my Indi Condor project I found a LBS with a basket labelled "everything $5". Always on the lookout for a bargain I rummaged through and found some NOS front derailleurs, something I needed.
I got two, a Suntour Superbe Pro and a Campagnolo Veloce. :lol:
The question is which one should I put on the bike?
The Suntour is more"in period" but the Campag is.... well I guess Campag.
There's Campag & then there's Campag.

The Superbe Pro was a short lived top-of-the-range offering from Suntour while Campagnolo Veloce was, ..... well, it wasn't their top end offering.
For Suntour their premium offering was mostly the 'Superb' line, but for a short time they outdid even that with the Superb Pro range, however, for whatever reason decided that they would discontinue it & that left the Superb range back at the top of the heap.

If you go with Campagnolo, then I suggest that you go with the Gran Sport line up to about 1960, then either Record or Super Record components from then untill C Record kicked in. If you have a lesser quality bike, then the lesser quality components from Campy would be fine.

Your bike is of Asian origin, as is the Suntour which was their premiun component line & the Suntour is, as you say, more period correct, so my suggestion is to go with that.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:28 pm

I'd probably go with the Suntour derailleur as Kid Carbine suggests.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:15 am

The quality and engineering of Suntour is far superior to Campagnolo of the time, if that matters to you.

Minority

Postby Minority » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:30 pm

I had decided to go with the Suntour anyway and then I picked up a RD and crank to match for nothing which settled it!