Ricardo Appreciation Society

singlespeedscott

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:48 am

bowiesimon wrote:
brendan03 wrote:
bowiesimon wrote:I've sent a message to that Cyclomondo dude to see if I can get a replacement set of decals.
Please let me know how you go with this. I'm quite interested in "Ricardo" & "elite" decals. :P
Will do - no word in response as yet
He seems a bit slow to respond. I asked him if had some stickers for my Berretto and Ken Evans made Evolution and havn't heard back.

matilda5

Postby matilda5 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:20 pm

As of this morning proud father to Ricardo "Elite", rescued from land fil. 60cm top tube (perfect for me)tange 900 double butted. White with red tips chrome forks.
Will follow up as cleaning proceeds.
centurion mixte purchased
Nishiki mountain
Ricardo Elite

blkmcs

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby blkmcs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Spotted this Ricardo looking unloved alongside the PSP in Burswood this morning.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 pm

Ouch ^^^
Being in the saddle when the freight-train hit that Ricardo head on must have hurt.
matilda5 wrote:As of this morning proud father to Ricardo "Elite", rescued from land fil. 60cm top tube (perfect for me)tange 900 double butted. White with red tips chrome forks.
Will follow up as cleaning proceeds.
Looking forward to the pics - I'm planning a red/silver makeover for my Ricardo so it would be nice to see what the original livery looked like.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Still no word re: Cyclomondo decals?

I've sent him a message myself and also offered to produce the art work (if he doesn't already have it on file). If he doesn't have the artwork and takes my offer to create it, I'll need some help. My bike never had the RICARDO decals, so if anyone has high (HIGH!) resolution shots of their RICARDO stickers it would be a grand help.

I'll keep everyone posted.

EDIT: I'm also hunting some reasonably "period correct" TANGE decals for my frame - does anyone have a sample pic of an elite TANGE decal?

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:52 pm

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks Munga. Two things I'm not certain of are 1) what specific tubing my bike is made from and 2) what decals tange were using at the time.

If anyone has an elite similar vintage to mine which also has the "TANGE XXXX" decals, all the answers would be revealed! :D Singlespeedscott & a link Nic posted to "Rustychisel bike" seem to be pretty close to mine. Since Rusty notes Champ No5 tubes, I guess it'll try get those decals.

Failing that I'll likely just go with an Infinity decal, pretty sure RICARDO's weren't cut from Prestige or Ultimate.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 pm

hey, we all have greyscale avatars!!

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:07 pm

*high five*

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 pm

brendan03 wrote:EDIT: I'm also hunting some reasonably "period correct" TANGE decals for my frame - does anyone have a sample pic of an elite TANGE decal?
Can do Tange 2
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:14 am

brendan03 wrote:
Thanks Munga. Two things I'm not certain of are 1) what specific tubing my bike is made from and 2) what decals tange were using at the time.

If anyone has an elite similar vintage to mine which also has the "TANGE XXXX" decals, all the answers would be revealed! :D Singlespeedscott & a link Nic posted to "Rustychisel bike" seem to be pretty close to mine. Since Rusty notes Champ No5 tubes, I guess it'll try get those decals.

Failing that I'll likely just go with an Infinity decal, pretty sure RICARDO's weren't cut from Prestige or Ultimate.
Mine is simply labeled ""Tange 5" with Cr-Mo seamless P.G. tubes" on the seat tube. The sticker is a light green colour with black edging. The fork blades have a sticker saying ""Tange" Cr-mo fork blades".

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks Single. Still no word from Cyclomondo so I think I'll try the sign writes we use here at work - see if they can print and cut some custom vinyl stickers for me.

Can anyone send me a close up of their "elite" decal? Both mine (now removed) were damage around the birds beak. I'm trying to reproduce the artwork to have them printed, but need a "complete" sticker to facsimile - marett at gmail.com

[ edit ]

Progress shot:

matilda5

Postby matilda5 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 pm

My hard rubbish Ricardo.
27 inch wheels being cleaned.
photos?: http://s862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/amalia51/
centurion mixte purchased
Nishiki mountain
Ricardo Elite

patrickj

Postby patrickj » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:29 pm

I found a Ricardo in the hard rubbish the other day. I wasn't going to take it, but the Made in Australia sticker made me look twice and then I found this thread. So I went back and picked it up. I realise now that a) it's not one of the good ones (it's Hi-Ten 1021 steel), and b) it's too big for me. It's black and in pretty poor condition. If anyone wants it (pickup in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney) let me know, otherwise I'll put it out again in the next hard rubbish.

Cheers,

Patrick.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:24 pm

If anyone is interested, this morning I spotted a Ricardo Varsity "Campione del Monde" medium size, pretty light I thought, at the FWS Recycle Yard near Hahndorf. It needed work,Shimano Positron 12 gears, nice smooth "ticking" from the back wheel, $25.

Ricardoman

Postby Ricardoman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:38 pm

G'day Guys

Searching the web couldn’t believe I found this forum, been a rider of these bikes since the mid eighties when I started road cycling with a race club in Brisbane. Had a Ricardo Viva for a training bike and a Elite as a race bike, both tange 900 frames, the Elite was later replaced by the road bike I still own and ride regularly a Ricardo White Lighting. A lot of the Guys I rode with had to have Italian stuff but I wanted Australian made. Pity Repco had to buy the company and sink them in the early nineties.
Anyway got a bit of memorabilia from the period including a couple of sales catalogs and a sticker set. Happy to post them up if anyone is interested just got to get them from the olds on the next visit

Here is a photo of my old Race bike I got it in 1990 after the Elite got cleaned up by a car I think it cost at the time approx $1500, Tange 2 shimano frame and fork, full Shimano 600 Ultegra componentary. With original cateye vectra Speedo.

Regards

Gary
note sure how to get the photo to appear so here's the link to the photo.
Mod edit: Inserted the pic for you - nice bike! :D
Last edited by Ricardoman on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Ride Ricardo "WHITE LIGHTNING" 1990 Full Shimano Tange 2 Frame, Complete Shimano 600 Ultegra componentry.
Previous Rides: Ricardo Elite 1986, Ricardo Viva 1986(Z Series), Ricardo Viva 1988.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Ricardoman wrote:G'day Guys

Searching the web couldn’t believe I found this forum, been a rider of these bikes since the mid eighties when I started road cycling with a race club in Brisbane. Had a Ricardo Viva for a training bike and a Elite as a race bike, both tange 900 frames, the Elite was later replaced by the road bike I still own and ride regularly a Ricardo White Lighting. A lot of the Guys I rode with had to have Italian stuff but I wanted Australian made. Pity Repco had to buy the company and sink them in the early nineties.
Anyway got a bit of memorabilia from the period including a couple of sales catalogs and a sticker set. Happy to post them up if anyone is interested just got to get them from the olds on the next visit

Here is a photo of my old Race bike I got it in 1990 after the Elite got cleaned up by a car I think it cost at the time approx $1500, Tange 2 shimano frame and fork, full Shimano 600 Ultegra componentary. With original cateye vectra Speedo.

Regards

Gary
Nice! I still ride around on a Repco Superlite with biopace chainrings and downtube shifters. I have ridden over 4,000km this year and it's still going strong!
<removed by request>

Ricardoman

Postby Ricardoman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Ricardoman wrote:G'day Guys

Regards

Gary
Nice! I still ride around on a Repco Superlite with biopace chainrings and downtube shifters. I have ridden over 4,000km this year and it's still going strong!
Yes I remember the superlite, quite a popular bike at the time. I remember a friend had a two tone yellow and white. shimano 105 running gear if I remember.
My Ride Ricardo "WHITE LIGHTNING" 1990 Full Shimano Tange 2 Frame, Complete Shimano 600 Ultegra componentry.
Previous Rides: Ricardo Elite 1986, Ricardo Viva 1986(Z Series), Ricardo Viva 1988.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Ricardoman wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
Ricardoman wrote:Image
Yes I remember the superlite, quite a popular bike at the time. I remember a friend had a two tone yellow and white. shimano 105 running gear if I remember.
I won't post a picture of it in this thread but here is a link if you are interested viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12868&p=302792#p302792
<removed by request>

Ricardoman

Postby Ricardoman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 pm

I won't post a picture of it in this thread but here is a link if you are interested viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12868&p=302792#p302792[/quote]

Is that a custom colour, I can only remember them in two tone.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:52 pm

casualcyclist wrote:I won't post a picture of it in this thread but here is a link if you are interested viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12868&p=302792#p302792
Ricardoman wrote:Is that a custom colour, I can only remember them in two tone.
Na. It was standard for 1 year. I have seen one other one in real life and a photo of another one on the interweb.
<removed by request>

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Ricardoman wrote: Anyway got a bit of memorabilia from the period including a couple of sales catalogs and a sticker set. Happy to post them up if anyone is interested just got to get them from the olds on the next visit
G'day and welcome aboard! I'd love to see any stickers or catalogues you've got at the olds! I've finished reproducing the "elite" artwork for the bike i'm restoring. Not sure what "RICARDO" decals to base mine off tho since my frame never had them - at least not since i've known it.

So far leaning t'wards the top version - red & white to match the overall motif i'm working on.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Ricardoman,
Do you know how to interpret the serial numbers stamped on under the bottom brackets on Ricardos?

So far we've got: L1T8745, L6A1761 & L7Z2184

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:13 pm

brendan03 wrote:Ricardoman,
Do you know how to interpret the serial numbers stamped on under the bottom brackets on Ricardos?

So far we've got: L1T8745, L6A1761 & L7Z2184
The 54cm Nuovo downstairs is L?L0116 - the first L is vestigal and the second character is one of 6 8 or 0 - only the bottom curve is visible. I think Zeus ended up with my other frame.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

zues

Postby zues » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:40 am

Thoglette wrote"
I think Zeus ended up with my other frame.
Yes I did and its a beauty :!:
Thanks Thoglette :)