Forum Issue: Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form

Aushiker

Forum Issue: Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:14 am

G'day

I am in the forums from Anne's computer and I have been having a few problems for a few days.

I get the problem irrespective of using FF 2.0.0.4 or IE 7. We both use the same ISP so not sure that is the issue.

Anyway I am experiencing the following:

(1) Logging in: If I don't turn on save my password it will not "capture" my log-in. I just get returned to the log-in screen without any error messages;

(2) Once I am logged in, if I try to reply to a posting and hit "submit" I get take to the preview screen. Clicking "submit" again will either send the post through or give me an "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form" error message. The only solution appears to be in FF to clear private data and resubmit the posting.

Any ideas?

Regards
Andrew

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:38 am

Rats, he's onto us :evil:

There've been a few problems lately Andrew, maybe this is related (the more I know about the technical side of things, the more I distance myself :roll: ).

Please, if anyone has any problems, detail them here, with as much detail as possible, especially if you actually know what's happening. Christopher's onto this, but he needs info.

Richard
Admin
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Looks like something is up with the Auth handlers.

Are you using vista by any chance?

More than likely server side but try to re-install your browsers. Or you could add bicycles to the exceptions for cookie list in Tools > Options > security to see if cookies are playing a part in the auth errors.

Otherwise, are you running any proxies or anonimiser softwares upstream?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:04 pm

I get the press Submit button and get preview instead problem a few times, but it's related to the javascript in my browser. I'm on a Mac running Safari.

The other issue you describe sounds like a problem that is prevalent here in WA, that I had with my previous ISP. It is one of the reasons I churned.

The problem involved my previous ISP's upstream transparent proxy. It was supposed to be invisible, but I have the gear to see it. It was stuffing around with the IP address, so that subsequent requests for pages appeared to be coming from a different IP address, which screws up some sessions. I tested my theory with an SSL tunnel to an anonomysing proxy and it solved the problem.

I have since churned to Tel$tra and the problem is fixed.

There is one thing you can try, and that is to temporarily turn off all cookies and then log in. On any subsequent page requests for the forum look at your address bar and see if SID, or PHPSESSID is appended to the URL. Try this and post a message and see if it all is working.

If this works fine, then it would indicate something on the PC or your connection. Off the top of my head I can't remember exactly how phpBB Forums handle their sessions, but this is the first thing I would try.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:52 pm

gururug wrote:Are you using vista by any chance?
Yes but NOT on the computer causing trouble. The Vista machine has no problems.
More than likely server side but try to re-install your browsers. Or you could add bicycles to the exceptions for cookie list in Tools > Options > security to see if cookies are playing a part in the auth errors.
Cleared the cookies, cleared the cache, no rules in place in either browser. It is not just FF. It also does the same in IE.
Otherwise, are you running any proxies or anonimiser softwares upstream?
No. Same ISP as well. Works at home and office fine, at Anne's no like me.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:55 pm

G'day

It has come up before going from the PHP Forums. Some suggestion of an issue related to updates.

Anyway will try your suggestions Kev next time I am at Anne's. As I am away for the next week, so it will not be until I return.

BTW we are both using the same ISP, so I doubt it is the ISP (iiNet) that is causing the problem.

Regards
Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 am

Hi,

I will have a look into it. There have been no recent changes ie updates or modifications to forum which would be an obvious cause. I will enquire with the host and phpBB and let you know/make changes if the problem lies there.

Cheers
Christopher

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:31 am

Thanks Christopher.

Just back from a week's exploring around Esperance/Stirling Ranges and on Anne's computer so this is a little test.

Did you learn anything about the possible cause?

Regards
Andrew

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:52 am

Aushiker wrote:Did you learn anything about the possible cause?
I think it was something WA related as there was a major internet outage about the time you were having problems. Depending on which ISP you are with, depended on the degree of problems.

Kev.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Update

Postby heavymetal » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:44 pm

I've occasionally been getting the problem with pressing submit and getting preview again.

I've narrowed it down to having multiple tabs open to different threads on the forum.

I don't know if this is the cause, but it happens whenever I have multiple tabs open.

Kev.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:00 pm

Hi Kev

I will try that on my next visit to Anne's. I still have the problem and only on her computer. Weird.

Andrew