Circus in Town - Stirling - look out for the water pipe

rolandp

Circus in Town - Stirling - look out for the water pipe

Postby rolandp » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:54 am

The Circus is back in town, at Civic Place oval, Stirling, next to The City of Stirling offices. Similar to each year that they are in town, they run a water pipe from their set-up near Cedric St, to Civic Place, and like each year, you have to ride over the pipe. This year, they have put a piece of carpet over it.
A couple of riders fell off last year, so be careful when travelling in the area. In addition, you have the additional foot traffic for those attending the sessions.

Have asked City of Stirling to review and comment on the current arrangements. As the circus comes each year, you think a more permanent solution would be possible (eg running conduit under the path to allow for the hose to be feed through, or relocate the water source).

Sorry about the image, it was taken late this evening.

fixed

Re: Circus in Town - Stirling - look out for the water pipe

Postby fixed » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:11 am

speaking as a lawyer, you have got to be kidding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiIhrAVVVvY
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

shorty07

Postby shorty07 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 am

rolandp wrote:they run a water pipe from their set-up near Cedric St, to Civic Place, and like each year, you have to ride over the pipe.
AND THIS YEAR as a special bonus.....they've put it on possibly one of the worst places for that stretch - the corner just prior to the road where those coming down the hill are travelling along nicely.....it's even MORE fun when it's rained and the majority of the pipe which is not covered by deluxe carpet is wet and slippery.

Imagine the speed at which the $ity of $tirling would spring into action to ping someone if a mere commoner stretched something like that out across a road with so little thought or consideration for other users.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 am

Hi

But is that section of PSP on City of Stirling land? If so one shouldn't be doing more than 10 km/h :)

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi

I have filed a hazards report with the MRD and also raised my concerns that the City of Stirling has allowed this to take place in the first instance.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:00 am

I didn't get a response to my e-mail sent yesterday to CoS on this matter. Hopefully you will.

In regards to the 10kph speed limit, used Google Maps and Street view to find a 20kph speed limit sign for a speed hump, located in CoS car park. This car park is not restricted to the 10kph limit.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 am

Hi

Just got this response from MRD (never had this sort of response before):
Thank you for your email advising of the hose across the principal shared path at Civic Place near Hugo Street.

This is a matter for the City of Stirling to attend to, as this path, its maintenance and safety issues is the responsibility of that agency. I have forwarded this email to the City of Stirling on your behalf. Should you wish to follow up further, or make any other reports about this stretch of path, please direct toward the City of Stirling via:
Regards
Andrew
Andrew

bigacorn

Postby bigacorn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:45 pm

just cut it

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 am

Hi

Rode through this area last night on my way home. The hose has been removed from the shared path and now stretches across Civic Place instead and is at least partially covered in canvas or something similar. I think it is located better now.

Pleased to see a positive and quick response to the concerns raised.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi

Received this response from the City of Stirling:
The hose has been moved off from the Cycle Track by Aston’s Circus, it has been moved and it just goes across the verge on to the reserve, crossing the road and sleeves have been placed over it. This is the water supply for the circus so that it can operate on the reserve. That is the only connection that is available to them but we will monitor it and try to ensure that it causes no in convince to cyclists or road users.
Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:36 am

Good work fellas.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:41 am

Aushiker wrote:we will monitor it and try to ensure that it causes no in convince to cyclists or road users.
um ... "in convince"?? looks like the clowns got to the spell check

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:26 am

Photos taken this morning of the area:
Image Image

It is still the case that any cyclist travelling in the area needs to cross over the hose, ok, the hose is now not on the PSP, it is now on the road. Carpet has gone, and not too sure what is over the hose to protect it from traffic.

As I did not get a response from my e-mail to the City of Stirling from Monday relating to this issue, I e-mailed them again today with a suggestion that a water fountain could be installed on park side of the PSP, which would completely remove this issue if the fountain had a connection for this type of hose. No response back to my second e-mail.

This would be the first water fountain located on the Mitchell Fway PSP (roughly 35kms in length), so I know that this idea will be the first of it's kind for this PSP, but I have heard that other PSP's have water fountains located on them (so why not this one), and it would also supply the circus without any safety issues. Win-win suggestion I thought. And CoS could apply for some of the costs via the local government grants (win-win for CoS).

Will update you when I get a response from CoS on this idea.

PS can we get rid of that bollard to the PSP entrance?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:57 am

rolandp wrote:PS can we get rid of that bollard to the PSP entrance?
I wonder who they think that bollard will stop? The ONLY thing it can do is cause injury to a cyclist or walker - it certainly won't stop any cars from using the PSP.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

soennecken

Postby soennecken » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:12 am

If you want to irrigate your verge, and there is a footpath in the way, you just put a piece of plastic pipe under the path. It is a simple matter: you don't have to cut or dig up the path; the pipe can usually be pushed through the subsoil under the path. If you hit a rock, you change direction slightly. If you hit lots of rocks, you use galvanized pipe and a big hammer. Maybe the council needs to employ a handyman.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 am

Heard back from City of Stirling - Stirling says no to the water fountain, which I suggested could also be used by the circus.

I then asked if the City would not host the circus at this location until a permanent solution was provided for the water source. No response back to this question since asked late last week.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:04 am

rolandp wrote:Heard back from City of Stirling - Stirling says no to the water fountain, which I suggested could also be used by the circus.
Hi

I was wondering if this was in fact a Water Authority issue, in so much that it is there reticulation scheme that the circus is tapping into for the water. If yes, I wonder if the Water Authority knows and is being paid for the water.

Andrew
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Had to happen, the stupid thing sprung a leak resulting in the whole area being a little bit slippery. Take care when exiting/entering from the PSP as this is the wettest area as the water is pooling around there.

shorty07

Postby shorty07 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:52 pm

rolandp wrote:Had to happen, the stupid thing sprung a leak
and what's a bet it'll be 'those pesky cyclists' who get the blame for constantly and recklessly riding over it......

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 am

Rode past around 4:30pm and looks like the circus is packing up, main tent had no sides etc. Maybe there will be agreement next time their in town where they can stay and hopefully it will be with a closer water supply.

The hose was still leaking. :(

craigg

Postby craigg » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Rode north at 6:45 this morning and the pipe was there, rode south an hour later and it was gone :)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 pm

The circus is due back - 4th-20th March 2011:

This means we have one week to confirm where the water pipe is going, as if after 15 months since the circus was last here, Stirling should now have a permanent solution which does not impact on cyclist, or the circus should not have been approved for this site.

I'm going to be possive and say that a permanent solution has been provided.

fixed

Postby fixed » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Or we phone CoS and ask.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Steve, e-mail sent to the City of Stirling:
Circus at City of Stirling Oval - potential hazard which has been reported to CoS previously‏
Hi, there is now a sign indicating that the circus is back in town, and will be at the City of Stirling Oval (the one next to your office) from 4th to 20th March 2011.

In the past the circus ran a water hose over the shared path and Civic Place.

As this is a hazard to cyclist in the past, and was reported to the City of Stirling in November 2009, hopefully the City now has a permanent solution which will remove the requirement to run the hose over the PSP and Civic Place. Can you please let me know what that permanent solution is?

If the City has not got a solution which removes the requirement to run the hose over either the PSP or Civic Place, can one please be implemented immediately as this will be a hazard to cyclist when the circus installs the hose.

Dates previously reported to the City of Stirling:
13 May 2009 - as part of the City of Stirling's Bike Plan Survey - example of hazard that could have been avoided
26 Oct 2009 - Reported to the City of Stirling requesting what water arrangements where in place as the circus was setting up that morning
30 Oct 2009 - Reported again to the City of Stirling as no response was provided to request of 26 Oct 2009 and a hose was now located over the PSP and Civic Place - included pictures
4 Nov 2009 - Responded to the Terry Hamilton (CoS) who provided a response to my original request dated 26 Oct 2009
20 Nov 2009 - Reported to the City of Stirling that the hose was leaking
23 Nov 2009 - Terry Hamilton (Cos) reported back that 'The circus has now moved from the reserve so the hose should no longer be a problem'
30 Mar 2010 - as part of ACII website - http://www.acii.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &tableid=4

If you can't locate the images previously provided, these images can be seen in the below links:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9oqcZ-qWVPY/SuW20 ... rcus01.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9oqcZ-qWVPY/Sur0F ... rcus02.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9oqcZ-qWVPY/Sur1C ... rcus03.jpg

rolandp
Duncraig - Daily Cycling Commuter - Duncraig to Perth

fixed

Postby fixed » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Great work