Trek 1.9?

showbag

Trek 1.9?

Postby showbag » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:02 am

Hi all,
I don't really have a need for another bike (but when has it been about need) but with the great prices on the 2009 bikes, the Trek 1.9 has taken my eye. It is just so pretty!!!I was hoping to get some people's experiences on the bike, and whether I should be looking to add it to the stable.

I currently have an Oppy BolDOr (carbon frame/105). Is there any point in me getting a Trek 1.9 (alu frame/ultegra) or am i better to stick with the Oppy and save up (which could be a few years away) for a bike that is at the higher end of the market ($5000+) for an upgrade. Does the ultegra on the Trek make it a far better bike or does my oppy being a carbon/105 make it a better overall package that the ultegra/alu bike?

For the record, I love my Oppy and have put 13,000+ kms into her since i bought her as my first ever road bike last november.
any input is appreciated...

BigVin

Re: Trek 1.9?

Postby BigVin » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:20 am

Trek 1.9 is a great bike. My riding partner has had his for about 2 years, put a few k's in to it and its fine.
Running full Ultegra which he's transferring to a new CF Trek frame.
Awesome bike, excellent for the money too.
Forza Basso - Vincere per noi!

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:32 am

With 20% off all bikes in-store at Cecil Walker Cycles in Melbourne at the moment, you might be able to pick up the 2010 Ultegra equipped Trek 2.5 or the 2010 105/Tiagra-mix equipped Madone 4.5 for around $2,599 (if my memory serves me correct)

m@

Postby m@ » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:53 am

I'm not one to advise against buying a new bike ( in fact I think that would be against site policy ;)), but it kinda seems that you're doubling up on function - to me, the new bike would have to be a damn good ride to justify it's existence. Then again, you would have a 'good' roadie and a rain bike - just not certain which would be which though! 'they' do say that a top alu frame is better than cheap carbon, but at the end of the day it will come down to which one you prefer.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

showbag

Postby showbag » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:42 pm

BigVin wrote:Trek 1.9 is a great bike. My riding partner has had his for about 2 years, put a few k's in to it and its fine.
Running full Ultegra which he's transferring to a new CF Trek frame.
Awesome bike, excellent for the money too.
Thanks for the testimonial BigVin, they do sound like an awesome bike ... and the 2009's are very well priced at the moment.
I was wondering if the Ultegra is a considerable step up from the 105, or is this clearly in the 'want' category.

showbag

Postby showbag » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:45 pm

kukamunga wrote:With 20% off all bikes in-store at Cecil Walker Cycles in Melbourne at the moment, you might be able to pick up the 2010 Ultegra equipped Trek 2.5 or the 2010 105/Tiagra-mix equipped Madone 4.5 for around $2,599 (if my memory serves me correct)
cheers mate, do you have any 2009 Trek 1.9's? free shipping to perth? :D

showbag

Postby showbag » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:53 pm

m@ wrote:I'm not one to advise against buying a new bike ( in fact I think that would be against site policy ;)), but it kinda seems that you're doubling up on function - to me, the new bike would have to be a damn good ride to justify it's existence. Then again, you would have a 'good' roadie and a rain bike - just not certain which would be which though! 'they' do say that a top alu frame is better than cheap carbon, but at the end of the day it will come down to which one you prefer.
Cheers M@, You may be going against site policy, but that is the type of discussion i think i need, and is indeed the question I have been asking myself. Will i have two of essentially the same bike? It really would just be an extra bike to my Oppy, as i have an old steel Bianchi as my winter bike (is that sacrilege) and a single speed for mucking around on. That is what I am struggling with ... is the Trek alu frame on par with the Oppy Carbon frame, and is the change to ultegra from 105 worth forking out the $$$ for this bike?

So with the spec of the 1.9 am i effectively doubling up, and would i be better served to put money towards a higher end bike years down the track (i do like Willier's).

The Trek 1.9 is sooooo pretty though :oops: :oops:

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:04 pm

If it were me I wouldn't bother with the new bike. As I see it you have a well regarded frame with the MS and 105 is great running gear, the trek will not ride any nicer as it is alloy and ultegra is not a great deal better than 105.
It sounds like you just want something new and in that case you could sell your current bike and put your funds together to buy a better bike, before you do any of that think about the type of riding you are doing now and plan to do and how your current bike fits in with that. If the MS is lacking in anyway then maybe upgrade the parts on it but if it is a frame issue then move on. A set of DA wheels would transform the MS into a beast at less than half the cost of a new bike, ultegra cassette and chain will slightly improve shifting....
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

showbag

Postby showbag » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:24 pm

jaykay wrote:If it were me I wouldn't bother with the new bike. As I see it you have a well regarded frame with the MS and 105 is great running gear, the trek will not ride any nicer as it is alloy and ultegra is not a great deal better than 105.
It sounds like you just want something new and in that case you could sell your current bike and put your funds together to buy a better bike, before you do any of that think about the type of riding you are doing now and plan to do and how your current bike fits in with that. If the MS is lacking in anyway then maybe upgrade the parts on it but if it is a frame issue then move on. A set of DA wheels would transform the MS into a beast at less than half the cost of a new bike, ultegra cassette and chain will slightly improve shifting....
Cheers James,
Nothing is wrong with the MS at all ... in fact i can't say enough how much i LOVE it. I just stumbled into the Trek and it appears to be a bargain (we all know how hard it is to walk past a bargain). As i'm only a recreational cyclist, i don't NEED to improve the performance of the Oppy at all (it does me very nicely) but I may look into wheels at some stage. Selling the Oppy is out of the question, so yep i guess i am just bedazzled by the thought of a new toy ... it may pass

Thanks again for the input.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:01 pm

Can I ask what the cost is on the Trek?

I bought a Merida 905 with full Ultegra for $1900.

I was orginally only going to buy the 903 (full 105) at $1750. But they dropped a bit on the 905 and for the extra $150 it just made sense to grab the higher spec'd one otherwise I would have been happy with the 105.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

showbag

Postby showbag » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Redbull wrote:Can I ask what the cost is on the Trek?

I bought a Merida 905 with full Ultegra for $1900.

I was orginally only going to buy the 903 (full 105) at $1750. But they dropped a bit on the 905 and for the extra $150 it just made sense to grab the higher spec'd one otherwise I would have been happy with the 105.
Hey mate,
The Trek is going to come in at around $2300 at this stage but could be less.

showbag

Postby showbag » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 pm

So ... it appears the Trek is not the best of ideas as I would be doubling up (I can't believe I am saying this, even though it is a marriage saving decision :lol: )

That brings me to the question as to under what circumstances i would need to upgrade my current bike? I am happy with the carbon frame of the Oppy and I am pretty sure that if it is well maintained that 105 will do me just fine. As I do not intend to race and it is just a case of me going out for my daily spin of around 40kms each morning (and longer rides when i feel like it) what would be the need to upgrade? Is it just bling factor? Would I ever REALLY need a sexier brand of frame and higher specs? Or do people upgrade just as a reward for themselves for the time they have spent on the bike (my Oppy has done around 14,000kms in 12 months, so does amount of riding come into it)?

What rationale do recreational riders use for getting the latest and greatest models?

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:22 pm

The amount of riding you are doing is substantial. I would upgrade the wheels and tyres and the bars and seat (if needed) , that way you will be noticeably more comfortable and faster without having to fork out on a new bike.
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport