Recommend me a commuter for ACT paths...

Puma

Re: Recommend me a commuter for ACT paths...

Postby Puma » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:33 am

twizzle wrote:
Puma wrote:At the moment I have my mind set on the Defy 2 http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bi ... 299/37466/
Are you sure this is what you want in a commuting bike? Are you physically suited for riding a road bike at this time, ie. is your lower back up to it? I'd be having a close look at a touring or cyclocross bike as a commuter before going for a road bike.
Well i'm 24 years of age and about 82kg so I think I should be fine :D Really I am doing this to keep my fitness up as I sit in an office all day long. Also to save a bit of cash as parking and running costs of cars these days is rubbish :roll:

I'm going to take a defy 2 for a spin on the weekend and see how it goes, I have heard that road bikes are fairly comfortable when set up correctly.

I guess the decider for me will be how it feels to ride. I have taken a firends roady for a quick spin before and it felt pretty good compared to what I have now.

From what I have read on here I don't want to buy a hybrid/flatbar roadbike and get over it in 6-12 months I might as well just jump onto something and get use to it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:10 am

hartleymartin wrote:Touring bicycles and Road bicycles basically have the same origins of design, but Road bicycles have become more speed oriented machines, whilst tourers are a more practical proposition.
+1

Some other touring bikes to consider that would make excellent commuters include:
Masi Speciale Randonneur, or the Speciale CX
Trek 520
Vivente Randonneur
Salsa Casseroll
Cannondale T800

Some useful discussion of touring bike choice here

I think the Trek is great value and really well equipped

Of course if you want the ultimate commuter there's always the Cannondale Vintage 8 Ultra - fully set-up with rear rack, great lights, mudguards and the Alfine 8 speed internal hub gear 8)

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Puma wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Puma wrote:At the moment I have my mind set on the Defy 2 http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bi ... 299/37466/
Are you sure this is what you want in a commuting bike? Are you physically suited for riding a road bike at this time, ie. is your lower back up to it? I'd be having a close look at a touring or cyclocross bike as a commuter before going for a road bike.
Well i'm 24 years of age and about 82kg so I think I should be fine :D Really I am doing this to keep my fitness up as I sit in an office all day long. Also to save a bit of cash as parking and running costs of cars these days is rubbish :roll:

I'm going to take a defy 2 for a spin on the weekend and see how it goes, I have heard that road bikes are fairly comfortable when set up correctly.

I guess the decider for me will be how it feels to ride. I have taken a firends roady for a quick spin before and it felt pretty good compared to what I have now.

From what I have read on here I don't want to buy a hybrid/flatbar roadbike and get over it in 6-12 months I might as well just jump onto something and get use to it.
That's fine. Just warning you that road bikes today tend to have pure racing geometry - short wheelbase, twitchy steering, and low bar height relative to the seat for aerodynamics, which makes them not-the-best-weapon-of-choice for commuting.

Before you get talking into buying the size the shop has on the floor, go to the competitive cyclist fit calculator (google it), measure yourself up and get a recommended seat/top tube size so that you get the RIGHT bike. There's nothing worse than a bike that doesn't fit.

Edit : typo.
Last edited by twizzle on Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:57 pm

I was going to stay out of this but the other thing to consider is that road brakes are not up to the hazards of bike paths. Think of the pedestrian ahead who suddenly stops to tie a shoelace, the cyclist who joins the path without looking, etc. My 15km ride on Canberra paths on a MTB with knobblies is only 3min slower than on a roadie and I put this down to the brakes. In several places I cross the an intersecting path at underpasses and slowing down on the steep approach takes a lot longer with road brakes. The selection of a commuter, roadie or hybrid is not a factor of fitness or how much you are "into" bikes. It is a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. Remember, real roadies call their bikes "pain machines".

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:46 pm

DarrylH wrote:Remember, real roadies call their bikes "pain machines".
We do? :shock:

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Expert comment from a roadies magazine!! I did the Fitz 105km and by the end it was the "torture machine"

matth

Postby matth » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Puma wrote:haha

Thanks for all the recommendations guys and girls. I have made a decision and I'm just going to jump onto a road bike right away. I went into my LBS and looked at a hybrid a flat bar road bike and a proper road bike and I was really taken by the road bike plus they are quite a bit lighter than the other two.

At the moment I have my mind set on the Defy 2 http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bi ... 299/37466/

It comes with 25mm tyres and has 700x32c rims although speaking to the guy at the store he doesn't think I will be able to fit anything larger than a 28mm on there as it will hit on the frame and brakes. However it has a carbon seat post and a carbon fork so that should help and make it a little more comfortable for bumps.
Have you considered the CRX-2 Flat bar... http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bi ... 292/39057/

It's $150 more but gets higher spec groupset / wheels etc and may be more comfortable for commuting than a drop bar. I just bought the CRX-4 as that was as far as the budget stretched, but would have loved the CRX-2.

seddo

Postby seddo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Make sure you get some decent punture resistant tyres for whatever bike you decide to buy, as the "feral" contingent,which there are many, like "seeding" the bikepaths with glass.

Puma

Postby Puma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:53 am

seddo wrote:Make sure you get some decent punture resistant tyres for whatever bike you decide to buy, as the "feral" contingent,which there are many, like "seeding" the bikepaths with glass.
Yeah it's a little ridiculous isn't it. Try riding through an underpass it's like a mini recycling plant under some of them.

I have been doing a little bit of research on them not sure what I am going to go with just yet.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 am

The puncture-resistant tyres and tubes add weight and rolling resistance, but it sure beats taking your chances with spare inner tubes. I rode to Olympic Park a few days ago and one bloke had a puncture... he managed to snap the valve stem on his spare tube. Good thing he carried 2 spares!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:51 am

Yes, puncture resistant tyres and strong wheels with 32 spokes. ACT bike pahts are a bumpy experience nowadays with all the potholes and tree roots.

Puma

Postby Puma » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 am

Fletcher wrote:Yes, puncture resistant tyres and strong wheels with 32 spokes. ACT bike pahts are a bumpy experience nowadays with all the potholes and tree roots.
Well my bike is going to have Alex DA22 Double Wall 32h rims so hopefully they will be sufficient.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Good choice of wheels for the commute. Mine has DA16s, which I'm very grateful for. I think the 22s are a little narrower.
What bike did you end up buying Puma?

jungles

Postby jungles » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:02 am

I have a Scott sub 20 (me) and sub 30(my wife)and they are great.light fast and nice looking.I jump off kerbs and over roots etc at speed and the alex rims handle this no probs.

check bikes.com.au for awesome prices. 2010 sub 20 for 1099.

I took this to my lbs and Bikeforce in Perth and got an amazing deal on both.

Have to confess tho.bad boy solo is coming on monday 11 jan and I am still going to go and have a look.This was on order before I went for the Scott when we were buying my wifes bike and if I like it a lot I will buy it and sell the Scott.Ill let you know how I go.