Southern Railway - Bike Cages

Aushiker

Southern Railway - Bike Cages

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:50 pm

G'day

The BTWA has posted some photos of the new bike parking enclosures planned for the southern railway.

They are apparently fully screened with Secury Force mesh within 50 m of the station entry.

The photos are from the trial installation at Greenwood station.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 pm

Bad links Andrew.

Only red crosses everywhere.

Kev.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:59 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Bad links Andrew. Only red crosses everywhere.
Yeah. I put this up whilst at work taking a computer lab and couldn't fix it. Had to then take a lecture. Will fix it now.

Andrew
Andrew

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:33 pm

I'm confused. What is the point of those cages? One big holding area? If so, where's the security? What security?

Richard

living in his own personal reality, but that's cool, they know me here :D
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:49 am

If it works in the same way as some of the "secure" parking provided at certain train stations it means that the gates are open between a certain timeframe at peak hour in the morning and evening...and then they lock it all up during the day.

In this case you'd still want to lock your bike up to a rack when you leave it for that period that the whole thing is accessible.

Then again my whole theory could be wrong..../me shrugs.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:52 am

IAG in Sydney has something similar, to get your bike in there you need to swipe your security badge.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 am

mikesbytes wrote:IAG in Sydney has something similar, to get your bike in there you need to swipe your security badge.
I haven't seen it yet but I assume you need to use a card [e.g., SmartRider] like Mike suggests.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:44 pm

europa wrote:I'm confused. What is the point of those cages? One big holding area? If so, where's the security? What security?
my feelings exactly. Its a bicycle smorgasboard.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:19 pm

G'day

I haven't seen this one at Greenwood yet but will try and drop in next week, however, if it is setup along the lines we have at work (University) I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. If nothing else it provides far more lock-up opportunities than three or four of the boxes currently provided at some railway stations.

At work we have a cage. To gain access to the cage you have to pay a deposit and register to get the key. Each key is numbered and allocated to an individual. The cage is locked with a fairly heavy duty lock. Within the cage there is a number of D-Bars or U-Bars (not sure what they are called) which one can lock their bike to.

All up there is two levels of security here which in my view is much better than just a D-Bar outside.

Oh the cage is also located in our underground car park so there is weather protection as well.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:51 am

My main issue with these cage is that unlike a bike locker, bike cages do not allow you to leave your cycling gear with your bike, you have to carry the stuff with you. Translink in brissy is looking into providing personal lockers inside of bicycle cages so people can leave stuff with there bike.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:59 am

beauyboy wrote:My main issue with these cage is that unlike a bike locker, bike cages do not allow you to leave your cycling gear with your bike, you have to carry the stuff with you. Translink in brissy is looking into providing personal lockers inside of bicycle cages so people can leave stuff with there bike.

Donald
Why don't you use a long cable and thread it thru the gear

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:13 am

Bit hard to put a cable through lights and stuff :P

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:23 am

Oddly I leave my lights and tool bag on the bike and they have never been stolen, must be lucky

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 am

That makes one of three things
Luck
Dumb thieves
honest people
Sadly we can not rely on that always happening

It is a bizzar thing bikes being locked up. People will pull a D bolt throught the frame when they leave there bike somewhere but they will leave quick release seat posts and wheels all open to theft. :roll:

Donald

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 am

beauyboy wrote:My main issue with these cage is that unlike a bike locker, bike cages do not allow you to leave your cycling gear with your bike, you have to carry the stuff with you. Translink in brissy is looking into providing personal lockers inside of bicycle cages so people can leave stuff with there bike.
I would prefer bike locker's too but we need to be realistic I think. The amount of real estate required for a cage which locks up say 30 bikes compared to the amount of real estate required for 30 bike lockers is vastly different.

I like the idea of the personal lockers inside cages. This might be something worth exploring further. I will try and take a look at Greenwood tomorrow and see what is being done.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:46 pm

G'day

A quick update on this topic. I didn't have time on Tuesday to actually drop in to Glendalough station but did take a gander as I rode pass. I couldn't see any evidence of the new cages at this point so they may not be installed as yet. I will keep an eye on it and report any developments.

Related to this, the latest issue of Cycling in the West (Vol. 15 No. 2) has an article about the Public Transport Authority [PTA] approach to cycling.

It reports that "three levels of bike storage, modelled on European designs, will be available at each station [Southern Suburbs Railway] - U-rails, bicycle shelters (which are mass bike parking facilities) and bike lockers."

The article goes on to quote Jim Krynen, the Authority's Cycling Integration Manger who says "if more bike facilities are needed, we will install them. I encourage people to be proactive and contact me with their comments and ideas."

No contact details were provided however the PTA does have a website and its contact details can be found here.

I suggest if folks have something constructive to add to the discussion they include Jim Krynen in the discussion. We can't expect them to respond to our concerns if we just put them here in this forum.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:51 pm

Oh, one more comment. I have emailed Mr Krynen drawing his attention to this discussion and inviting him to participate. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:06 pm

G'day

Dropped by the Glendalough train station yesterday to check out the cage. All it seems to be is a covered area, with wire mesh on three sides and fancy U-Bar/racks within.

The gate was open and it appears it can't be user locked/open anyway. Really provides no more protection other than the roof of a U-Bar.

Seems to be a bloody waste of money.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:Really provides no more protection other than the roof of a U-Bar.

Seems to be a bloody waste of money.
I'll take my chances leaving the bike on the platform. With 90 kgs of Rottie chained to it. :lol:

Also don't sit at the new central Perth Station for more than half an hour. Security get nosey and ask you what you are doing :shock:

I told them to go and my own their business. I was waiting for a train to Mandurah. :shock:

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.