STOLEN: Trek 5000 carbon frame racing bike – UWA, WA

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
Aushiker

STOLEN: Trek 5000 carbon frame racing bike – UWA, WA

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:53 pm

G'day

From the BTAWA:
I rode my new (2 months old) Trek 5000 into work at UWA on Wednesday after a four week holiday to find the padlock on the bike cage at UWA had been changed for an electronic one without my knowing. I LOCKED it (with a 15mm cable lock through frame and rear wheel) to the rack nearby at the corner of the Geology building to go up to Campus Card to find out how to get electronic access. That was at 9.25am and when I returned to move it at 10.00am it had gone. At the time I locked it there were plenty of people around – did anyone see anyone suspicious at the bike rack? It seems likely that someone must have been watching me lock it up.

The bike is a standard 2007 TREK 5000 bike - except it has a women's specific Sella Italia LDY saddle, SPD pedals, lights, a TREK computer and two black bottle holders. It’s a 50” frame – that’s the smallest one. Silver colour with black carbon showing in places. Carbon seat post. Black drop handlebar. The dark grey “Bontraga” wheels are very distinctive with a lot less spokes than standard bike wheels. Frame Number WTU 2945T010B

If anyone sees it or gets offered one in near new condition, or saw someone acting suspiciously on Wednesday, please contact me, UWA security (6488 3020), or the Subiaco police (93816811). The incident is recorded under my married name: Debbie Murphy.

The bike is insured, but there may be a quibble about replacement cost. Also, any information may help to prevent this happening to someone else.
Regards
Andrew

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Man I wouldn't lock a Trek 5000 in public with just a 15mm cable.

Hopefully a witness from the campus will come up. :(

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:56 pm

I didnt even know there was a bike cage...where is it...

I think the guy who locks his Cervelo Soloist to a pole would like to know as well!