Adelaide weather - what the ?

steveoc

Adelaide weather - what the ?

Postby steveoc » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:36 am

Is anyone planning on doing some hill rides this weekend ? (Sun 29 Nov 2009)

Yesterday's relentless 50+ km/h winds and constant rain caused me to cancel my planned hill ride on Saturday .. :shock:

Its now 5:30am on sunday, and according to weather.com.au, there is no rain today, cloudy in the morning and then mostly sunny. Step outside my front door though, and the sky is a black as tar, the rain is still horizontal, and the winds are still hors categorie. The back yard is a warzone. At least its a tailwind heading up gorge road I suppose.

Anyone else taking a chance on the weather today ? Heading off into it in an hour, will be heading up Gorge Rd around 8am if anyone is keen.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

Cycotic

Re: Adelaide weather - what the ?

Postby Cycotic » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:51 am

I did an 80km round trip to McLaren Vale yesterday (Saturday). Nice tail wind on the way down and only a short shower, but coming back was very wet and windy. Good thing I decided to take the nice heavy mtb or I might have been blown away. (I don't like riding the roadie in such weather - too slippery and too much trouble to clean the bike afterwards.) While it was wet and windy it wasn't really cold, so it was quite enjoyable. My biggest fear was not being seen by motorists in the rain, but I had my brightest lights flashing.

alltorque

Postby alltorque » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:27 pm

Really over this fickle weather!! Was planning to hit the hills today on the new roadie but cut it short when some heavy clouds rolling in (also had a lack of sleep due to bogan neighbours having an all night party). Heaps of female riders coming down Norton Summit rd ..then realized it was that BikeSA Girl ride today..? Might head out again later if it clears up a bit.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:47 pm

did a few outer harbour and mclaren vale rides last week... but have been frustrated by the weather this weekend! hopefully things look up from monday onwards.... was planning a ride down to strath and back tomoz.....

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:29 pm

So Im out there rugged up to the max, beanie under the helmet, long sleeve belgian top made of some wetsuit material ... soaked through but nice and warm ... head off into the storm from Glenelg happy as Larry. As soon as I reach Norwood, there is an astounding loud PING - a puff of smoke - and suddenly the entire sky turns blue and the sun shines down with a bright grin "Welcome to summer" it says as the nearby hills beckon any lightly-clad cyclists to enter.

And there you go - its back to perfect cycling weather all week !! Not a cloud to be seen I guess until 5pm on Friday.

Didnt get very far today as far as climbing goes, but at least I shed some weight. Its really quite nice out there today now. Getting up to the resevoir was OK - better than I remembered from the last time. Coming down was no fun though with wet rims caked in gunk. I think my braking fingers are more sore than my legs.

Had a go at Coach Rd on the way home - thats a pretty interesting piece of tarmac .. and when you slow right down you really notice that crosswind. Almost ended up in someone's garden after the first bend. Nice headwind the rest of the way home.

Maybe the next option might be to shuffle my work week around and take a couple days off where the weather is promising, and only work on the rainy / windy days :D Sounds like a plan.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team

bongo

Postby bongo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:27 pm

Was supposed to head out Saturday morning but canned it,too wild for me,almost pulled out this morning,up at six and saw the drizzle,back to bed,then got out an hour later,some corkscrew therapy,a nice fifty km loop,and a beautiful morning,very quiet on the roads.

Wino

Postby Wino » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:52 pm

Had planned to do a bigger ride this morning (ate properly last night etc). Then this morning wussed out given the rain and gusty winds, and complete lack of appropriate clothing. Ended up just doing some hill repeats to make sure the heart still works! The nice thing was I think I was blown up half the hills. (does that count as cheating?)

Tomorrow should be nice, and will aim to do a big one then - still trying to get more km's into the legs. The weather over the past few weeks definetly makes it a challenge. Ahh, the joys of cycling...
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Alarm, went off a 8:30 on Saturday. All I could hear was rain on the roof so went back to sleep. Woke up a bit later and felt guilty so headed off at about 9:30. The wind was very strong and it was damp but not to bad. It was a tail wind going up Montacute Rd so I think it was abit easier going up than what I remember the last time I did it. Once I got to the top it was just sprinkley rain in the hills and the hills were providing a fair bit of cover from the wind. Took it very easy on all the decents as the roads were wet/damp/dry in some places. There were some massive gusts of wind from Lenswood and Cuddlee Creek that nearly blew me off the bike and I got caught in the biggest shower of the day. It absolutley pissed down, the rain was painful when it hit my arms and face. Then headed up to Paracombe, that climb was into the headwind and it was bloody tough. Getting back into town and the headwind all the way down North East & Montague roads was really tough. I was struggling to do 20kph downhill !!!!

On the whole it wasn't to bad. I wasn't to cold even though I was in short sleeve jersey and shorts. My feet were soaked and a bit sore from the cold by the end though.
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:23 am

guilty? Nah. Saturday morning woke up at 6am, rolled over and woke up properly at 9.15am. :roll: :roll:
Went shopping, did stuff, didn't touch the bikes.

Sunday morning: windy, a bit damp, but did a rolling 75km to the coast and along. Came home from Semaphore over the Diver Derrick bridge and up Grand Junction road doing a very easy 37kmh up the false flat with a tailwind the whole way.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Managed to get out Sunday late arvo after a Xmas picnic for the daughter.

Did a loop up Belair Rd, down Sheps hill (25km/hr slower than normal due to rain and gusty x-winds :shock: :shock: ), up to Seacombe Rd and then down to Henley via the pat. Some nicish bits of tailish winds.

Headed back up Henley Bch Rd, and zig-zagged back home. Bugger of a h/wind stretch along Marion Rd with a nice compliment of solid rain :roll:

Rolled home with 51km on the odo, a bit wet, but at least got out.

Satd'y was just nuts, especially the wind !!!

Hopefully better this week

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:16 am

Sunday morning was fantastic. Monday not too shabby. Last night before I retired, the weather report said that it would be hideous thunderstorms Tue, Wed, Thur

This morning the same weather report says that it will be cool but no rain Wed Thur.

They really have no idea whats actually going to happen, do they ?
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:51 am

After a beautiful ride up Mt Lofty and across to Norton Summit on Sunday, now this ????

Looks like I took off the mudguards on the fixed gear bike a bit early :roll:

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:40 pm

I put the rear fender on last night. Glad I did. This is what the front of my bike looked like this morning. I imagine the back of me would’ve looked the same if I didn’t have a rear guard. It’s just mainly little leaves and road grit, but still, my legs didn’t look too flash when I got to work.

Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:I put the rear fender on last night. Glad I did. This is what the front of my bike looked like this morning. I imagine the back of me would’ve looked the same if I didn’t have a rear guard. It’s just mainly little leaves and road grit, but still, my legs didn’t look too flash when I got to work.
I've only seen the roadworks/road condition along Port Rd past bonython from the ol council ute, but it looks like a bit of a treacherous stretch to be negotiating with inbound traffic at the moment.

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:01 am

I chickened out yesterday (couldn’t be effed dealing with cars + roadworks + rain + headwind) and cut through the parklands so I could do battle with dudes spinning out in the wrong gear on their squeaky MTB’s whilst wearing full lycra kits.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:16 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:I chickened out yesterday (couldn’t be effed dealing with cars + roadworks + rain + headwind) and cut through the parklands so I could do battle with dudes spinning out in the wrong gear on their squeaky MTB’s whilst wearing full lycra kits.
iv'e been wondering if it would be inapropriate to carry a small bottle of lube and offer to dribble some on peoples chains when i hear em.And don't get mestarted on the amount of numpties you s ee on old MTB's with semi flat tyres.

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Ha Ha Ha, I'd appreciate the lube. I'm one of the squeakers. (Not in lycra gear thou) But then the lubricant would be worth more than the bike. Picked it up for $5 as a hack to ride the Linear Park.
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"Shut up legs"

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Trev Campbell wrote:Ha Ha Ha, I'd appreciate the lube. I'm one of the squeakers. (Not in lycra gear thou) But then the lubricant would be worth more than the bike. Picked it up for $5 as a hack to ride the Linear Park.
Long ride from Strath to city on a POS MTB.

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:09 pm

It's a long ride on my good bike !!!!! I only use the POS MTB from the missus' place.
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"Shut up legs"