who does the longest regular commute?

danny

who does the longest regular commute?

Postby danny » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:11 am

I have done the same moderate commute, 22.5km each way, monday to friday, year round for years. I know someone who does 55km e/w 3 days a week. I'm just curious - who on the board does the longest regular commute year round?

silkishuge

Re: who does the longest regular commute?

Postby silkishuge » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Current commute 5 days a week is 30km to work, 25 km to home.

I used to live in Gippsland Victoria last year, commute 5 days a week, 40km to work and 40km back from work.

J

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Current commute (twice a week) is 83km total - 39km outbound and 44km return (via the Coast).

Cheers,

Gary

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:53 pm

Nope, not me. Mine's 11k each way.
I am still obliged to drive to carry gear on most shoot days (bought a BOB for camera and tripod only shoots). Cycling aside the key to major energy savings is people living closer to their work, I'd like to get my commute down to at most 4-5 km. Ideally work would be so close that it would be easier to walk than ride.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 am

RobertFrith wrote:Nope, not me. Mine's 11k each way.
I am still obliged to drive to carry gear on most shoot days (bought a BOB for camera and tripod only shoots). Cycling aside the key to major energy savings is people living closer to their work, I'd like to get my commute down to at most 4-5 km. Ideally work would be so close that it would be easier to walk than ride.

I enjoy my commutes. Its a great workout for me and besides, I don't earn anywhere near enough to live close to work :oops:

J

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:30 pm

My direct commute is only 7k's each way so I have to be inventive so I can get up up to 40K's in the morning. 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Most mornings I do 34km's in. At least once a week I try to do a 50+km. 21km's on the way home.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi

I have a couple of commutes but my regular long one is 43 km each way and over summer I often push it out to around 50 km one way.

Andrew

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I do 23.7km there 24.1km back pretty much every day. I only drive if I have to.

I would be interested to see how much climbing is involved with other people. Mine is ~500M vertical each way (no gps, so just going off bikely).

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:34 pm

I have been commuting pretty regularly to work and back now for 18 months
Started one way 25 kms
Then 3 days return 50 kms a day
Slowly increased to 5 days work and return
But for the past 6 months or so I have gone 5 days a week rain hail or shine and stretched my total commute to 35kms each way 70 kms total
I now also add more hills to continue to increase fitness and weightlo9ss
Its amazing how the body adapts...
Yeh I do get sleepy by 9pm but I am up at 5am every day
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:45 am

Not me. My commute is only about 30km return, but I do it every day.
However, I'm wondering if it's martinjs, coz he seems to ride one helluva commute.
Last edited by Fletcher on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cruvon

Postby cruvon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:35 pm

just begun commuting to work and enjoying the experience...do approx 26kms both ways 4 times a week..looks like some of you put in some serious kms on:)
  • *Trek 7.5 FX
    *Dunlop Typhoon MTB, my all weather trusty old steed
    *BMW 320i E90, hardly gets a workout after discovered cycling
    *Runkeeper 2.1 for iPhone

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:39 pm

I do 16km each way 5x per week. I think 32km/day is about right....you can always make your commute longer, but it's hard to shorten it. :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:19 pm

There was a time when my return commute was 48k (a triangular route) ie 240 per week, but nowadays my ride is 17k return, ie 85 per week

I'm sure there are riders out there who do 50k+ each way
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 pm

59k round trip. Should be bask into doing it both ways by next week (only doing it one way per day this week as part of the gradual return to commuting after 6ish months off). Used to do it 4 or 5 days per week...definitely plan to be back to that again...feels so good to be back on the bike :)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Mine's a reasonable 26km each way, 5 days a week. The home trip is usually into a 20 - 50km/h headwind.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:54 pm

I had quite a solid headwind today, but nothing like The Doctor. Gusting enough to make me nervous traversing Roseville Bridge this evening with panniers.

Just been starting to do some weights on the machines in my local gym the last two weeks. Nothing big, just in the preparatory / adaptation phase where I'm "training to train". More power up hills, and less discomfort/niggles with lower back and knees, I think.

My distance is about 30km each way, with a coupla decent hills to keep things innerestin'. Frenchs Forest East to Sydney Olympic Park.

I don't do it each day - in one day, home the next, currently x2 each week. Hopefully as the weights build strength and address imbalances this will up to 3 x a week each way in the next few months.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:18 am

Kalgrm wrote:Mine's a reasonable 26km each way, 5 days a week. The home trip is usually into a 20 - 50km/h headwind.

Cheers,
Graeme

That sounds a bit like my last home. Low wind day would be 20km/h, average wind day was typically 40km/h, high wind da was 110 km/h. I only rode once on a high wind day and almost ran into a cow fence. Startled the poor cow and caused it to bolt in the opposite direction. I could not get the bike up right with the stron cross wind through the valley and had to call my wife to pick me up. I had trouble standing up. Thats wonthaggi for ya.

J

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:46 am

My commute is only 5km each way but I do it every day rain or shine. Been doing it for 12 months now.
I ride a SS so I try and ride hard everyday. There's more than a few hills on my route to work but it's mostly down hill on the way home so occassionally I ride home a differant way which has some nice big hills.

Marty10

Postby Marty10 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:21 am

I started riding on 22/6/09, the shortest day of the year. Purchased my bike in the city and rode it home, 35 kms away. Took me over two and a half hours but that included getting lost in the parklands in the dark. Have been commuting average three times a week, found a shorter (30 kms each way but more dangerous) route, and managed to cut the travel time down to an hr 12 mins. Still trying to break the hour mark but there are two hills in the way which slowed me down to about 10 km/hr. This may be a silly question but is there a technique to conquer hills? I have to cross these two valleys and I have tried racing down hard to use the momentum to climb a decent way up the other side but by the time I stall ¾ up the hill, my legs have gone rubbery. I have tried rolling down and then push my way up from the bottom but I collapse at just about the same distance up the hill. Damn Newton’s laws!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:31 am

Marty10 wrote:This may be a silly question but is there a technique to conquer hills? I have to cross these two valleys and I have tried racing down hard to use the momentum to climb a decent way up the other side but by the time I stall ¾ up the hill, my legs have gone rubbery. I have tried rolling down and then push my way up from the bottom but I collapse at just about the same distance up the hill. Damn Newton’s laws!
I believe there is. Start at the bottom at relatively lower power and use a slightly higher than normal cadence. Maintain that cadence all the way up the hill by selecting the correct gear. This will conserve your legs more and you should be faster at the top of the first hill and also faster up the second.

Marty10

Postby Marty10 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly give it a try. The next hill I meet is going down (pardon the pun)!

Marty10

Postby Marty10 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:43 am

Nobody wrote:I believe there is. Start at the bottom at relatively lower power and use a slightly higher than normal cadence. Maintain that cadence all the way up the hill by selecting the correct gear. This will conserve your legs more and you should be faster at the top of the first hill and also faster up the second.
Well I tried your technique this morning. I think the first hill is a little too steep for a person in my physical condition to take no matter how I do it. I was started up quite well but slowed down to about 12 km/hr at the usual place. However on the second hill, I was able to get over without changing gears. I usually fiddle around with the gears on this hill but I am quite impressed today if I may say so myself. Although it was a windless morning, the fact that I was in the slipstream of another cyclist helped. I will try again various ways to take hills later today on the way home.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:55 am

About 70km each way. But don't get too excited, about 60 of it is on the train, with bike each end.

To work, 10km of riding. On the home trip I get off the train earlier to make 20km of riding.

So really only roughly 30km a day.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Col

Postby Col » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:15 am

Its certainly not the longest but i enjoy it 3 times a week.

Hornsby to Lane Cove is 20km each way.

trip in is easy going, trip home is all up hill so provides a bit more of a workout...