Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:00 am

Date: 21 Nov 09
Venue: Heffron Pk
Conditions: Slight headwind down straight, Hot
Grade: D - 12 Laps
Result: DNF (Lap 7 of 12)
Report:

Got there well in advance for my debut race. Was a bit nervous as i didn't really know how the racing tactics worked and how good the field really was. Years of watching TV didn't prepare me so well.

The field was quite a lot larger than a couple of weeks ago when i came down to watch (there was 5 that day). The first four were pretty tame, the field going at about 32km/hr, taking advantage of the tail wind then backing right off on the straight with the headwind. There were many lead changes and i had a go for an entire lap on the 5th. I was getting advice from an old bloke letting me know where to drop off the lead. The pace then surged with a guy from Waratah's accelerating off the front a few times on the 5th lap. The pace then really picked up from there and i was able to get on the front of the pack as it threatened to split the pack. Then just before the straight the front tyre picked up a large thorn and that was the end of my debut.

Stats:
dist - 14.26kms
time - 26min 40sec
speed - 32.1km/hr avg (47.1 max)
cadence - 91 avg (129 max)
heart rate - 171 HR avg (183 max)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

philip

Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby philip » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:20 am

Congrats on your first race! Pity about the thorn :( Good to have someone there giving advice as well, but if he made you do a whole lap at the front maybe he was having a laugh ;)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:22 am

Date: 28 Nov 09
Conditions: Headwind at bumps, Hot
Result: 1st
Report:

After the disaster of last week (getting a flat 7 laps in), i was fully prepared for this week's adventures into racing. The first lap lap was fairly tame, a large bunch this week looked fairly eager to get things moving and the pace picked up for the second lap. The start of the third lap slowed back down again and a few of the stronger riders made their way to the front to get things moving again. A lot of lead changing at the front had the field stretched out heading toward the bumps. I found myself getting further back in the pack (another large pack today).

The wind was picking up and was in our faces in the bumpy area. The group bunched up again as no-one was willing to go hard up grade and wind. As we turned for the straight, the pace was back on, and suddenly a couple of guys made an attack. I made a decision to go with them, winding up and getting across the split, encouraging one rider to stay with me as i kept going past them. I heard a voice say "I can't", so i thought i better not waste that energy and tried to hold the gap to the field.

The heart rate was red lining, but i tried to power on through the headwind. The 4th lap was pretty quick and i had established a gap on the field. I looked over the shoulder and saw a few riders working together to reel me in. They had broken away from the main field and was pressing on.

The next 4 laps were a battle. My heart rate would not go down, the pair of riders behind me were closing metre by metre, and the headwind seemed to be getting stronger. I was slowing down and one of the spectators pointed out that i had broken the field. I wasn't too sure how that worked as it looked like they were just behind! The three guys behind were then two as they picked the pace up again.

On lap 9 i was caught by the chasing pair and i was cursing. My chance had gone. Or had it? I found out after the race the two that caught me had agreed to not pass me (the $%#(AT)!!!) so i was stuck doing the work for them. I could hear them breathing quite heavily so i thought they had burnt up getting to me. I was back in with a chance. I slowed right down to regather by breath (still redlining) but the heart rate or breathing would not go down. The next 2 laps was much of the same.

We passed the bell and slowed right down. We went across the start/finish line beside each other and they still would not take the front. I have no idea on tactics so i thought i'd step up the pace a bit. They would not let go! I slowed right down with the headwind and up grade, and they were not interested in making a move. I waited and waited and nothing happened. We got to the last hill and i attacked off the front. It caught them by surprise so i put the head down and pedaled as fast as i could. There was no way i was going to let them win without a fight, i spent way too much energy & effort to give it away. I opened up a 15m lead and used all the energy i had to hold on. I looked over the shoulder and could see the larger of the two winding right up but it was too late. I rolled over the line first (emphasis on rolled) and subsequently could not pedal much more around the circuit.

Stats:

dist - 24.46kms
time - 44min 12sec
speed - 33.2km/hr avg (54.3 max)
cadence - 100 avg (136 max)
heart rate - 184 HR avg (199 max - new max HR!!!!!!!!!!)
vomits - 2
Last edited by Strawburger on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:27 am

philip wrote:Congrats on your first race! Pity about the thorn :( Good to have someone there giving advice as well, but if he made you do a whole lap at the front maybe he was having a laugh ;)
Thanks Phil. I reckon he was having a laugh although he did pull beside me for the headwind part. The tactics baffle me at the moment!

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:26 am

Great ride!

Tactics? Suck draft as much as possible to preserve oneself and then attack/push the pace to tire the competition. Solo wins are impressive but guaranteed to earn you an early promotion. So stay low if you want to hang around the same grade for a little longer to learn the craft.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Nice work. Sounds like you're doing fine so far.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Cool another red devil's racing log.

Contrat's on you win

I'm so busy with track racing at the moment, but once I get the chance I'll race with you at RBCC Heffron. Though we should have a DHBC club crit to do at DG Crit one Sunday morning
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Zabriskie19

Postby Zabriskie19 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:14 pm

vomits - 2

where abouts did it land? :P
dropping wheels.

I'm a rider not a bike mechanic

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Enjoyed both reports :) Impressive win 2nd time out 8) glad you stuck it to those wheel sucking bludgers :P
mikesbytes wrote: Though we should have a DHBC club crit to do at DG Crit one Sunday morning
Can you post on here Mike when you know of a date. I've never raced there but would like to give it a go.

Might be able to drag a few of the FPR's along too.
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 am

Nice going!...you will be shoved up into C toute suite me thinks... :lol: .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:01 am

There's a 4kph gap between D and C but I recon your up to the challenge

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks all!
Zabriskie19 wrote:vomits - 2
where abouts did it land? :P
both in my mouth, one on lap 7 i think, the other after the sprint finish! A third threatened once i got off the bike. I was not feeling too well after...
toolonglegs wrote:Nice going!...you will be shoved up into C toute suite me thinks... :lol: .
mikesbytes wrote:There's a 4kph gap between D and C but I recon your up to the challenge
I'm not liking the sound of C grade just yet, it would be a big step up but is there ever a good time to go up a grade! How do you find out if you get bumped up into C (or for that matter, any grade change)? Is it on the day of the ride, the next week or some other method?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:24 am

They probably won't bump you based on a single win. If they have, you'll find out when you turn up. But at this rate you'll be up in B grade with me before you know it :)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:10 am

Date: 12 Dec 09
Conditions: Headwind at bumps, gusty
Report:

Missed last week due to my helmet going walk about, so after purchasing a new one i was back racing and i had retained my position in D grade (Mike is right, they didn't bump me after a single win). This week saw a rather small group (over the four grades it was pretty small - must be Christmas party time!) of seven riders roll off - three from Easts, one from Sydney, one unknown, myself and a fellow DH rider. Straight away the group settled in behind me. One rider from Easts ran over a fallen branch and was out on the 2nd corner. I led the first lap and allowed the rider from Sydney to take the next two laps. The unknown rider withdrew and we were down to five. The withdrawn Easts rider made his way back to the start/finish and jumped back on the pack on lap 4 and we were back to six. The three Easts riders weren't interested in taking the front and did anything possible to not lead, the DH rider hung at the back of the pack behind the Easts riders. It was left to myself & Sydney guy to do the work. The Easts riders were planning something, so i chatted to the Sydney guy to get an alliance going. The pace was slow, dropping to 26km/hr on lap 8. If we were going to do the work then we weren't going to smash ourselves in doing so.

By the end of lap 9 i had enough of the pace and ramped it up. I jumped off the front and had the Sydney rider behind me, but he soon dropped off once we got to the headwind. I found myself in familiar territory out on my own. I put a healthy lead on the bunch (about 10 sec), the Sydney guy dropped off the back of the pack and it was left to the Easts & DH riders to chase. The pace was on for two laps but the pack gave up by the bell lap so i sat up and cruised around the final lap and the victory was mine! I rolled over the line first with a healthy 100m margin and without a sprint. Much different to the race two weeks ago. The Easts rider who had the mechanical got 2nd, with the DH rider finishing 3rd in a sprint. The Guy who got 2nd had his son debut in the race and he was a pretty happy Dad to share the race with his son! 2nd and 3rd didn't hang around for the photo so i was a lone honcho at the "podium".

Stats:

dist - 24.46kms
time - 48min 45sec
speed - 30.2km/hr avg (50.0 max)
cadence - 90 avg (116 max)
heart rate - 173 HR avg (190 max)

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:07 am

Nice win. But I think you are definitely going up with these results. :wink:

philip

Postby philip » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:22 am

Congrats, you earned that one

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:47 am

Nice one 8)
sogood wrote:Nice win. But I think you are definitely going up with these results. :wink:
+1, but it sounds like you'll handle it quite comfortably.
FPR Ragamuffin

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 pm

So are you doing the double this weekend?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:11 pm

sogood wrote:Nice win. But I think you are definitely going up with these results. :wink:
I dare say i'll be in C grade after winning again (even though it wasn't an impressive finishing time). Dunno whether i'll be able to hang on in C grade but i'll give it a shot!
mikesbytes wrote:So are you doing the double this weekend?
No unfortunately. The missus has booked us in for a trip down to Camberra to see the outlaws so i'll be missing the last races for the year :(
Plan on throwing the bike in the car and taking on the 5 peaks whilst i am down there though. Smart packing and a blanket should cover up the evidence :D

Zabriskie19

Postby Zabriskie19 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:19 pm

I dare say i'll be in C grade after winning again (even though it wasn't an impressive finishing time). Dunno whether i'll be able to hang on in C grade but i'll give it a shot!

Maybe with six vomits you will be able to Strawbuger :P .
dropping wheels.

I'm a rider not a bike mechanic

kosmiccarbon

Postby kosmiccarbon » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Nice win mate, keep it up :P
R2 Carbon Roadbike - 20 Speed Shimano 105

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 am

Date: 27 Feb 10
Conditions: Headwind at bumps, warm
Report:

After a six beer and pizza friday night, i was feeling pretty shabby and the last thing i wanted to do was to pack my bike into the car and head down to Maroubra. The missus convinced me it was a good idea... First race of the new year (rain and other events have got in the way) and unfortunately no change in grade thus far so i lined up in D grade. After a few slow warm up laps the legs were feeling good. There were quite a few riders here today, the biggest i have seen in my short history. D grade had about 12 starters. We rolled off and by 500m the pace was on. The heart rate was already through the roof so my aim was to hold on for as long as i could. I fell to 7th place before thinking i may get dropped, so i got my way up to 3rd and sat there for a lap. The same four riders kept rotating the lead - Myself and a fellow DH rider, a Sutherland rider and a kid from Norths. Others had quick goes but generally it was us four. As the laps progressed, the surges got more frequent however each surge was pulled in without anyone going off the front. By lap 9 the heat was on and people started getting a little twitchy. The surges broke the main field and it was split into about 8 riders. With 2 laps to go i decided that if i was to get a podium i needed to drag the Sutherland guy with me. I waited for him to get on my wheel and i jumped. As I went off the front i looked around... No support. Here we go again! I gave it everything i had for one lap and took the bell with a 50m lead. Around to the headwind i knew i had the win if i could get through unscathed through this section. As i climbed over the last bump, i looked over in relief as the chasing bunch stopped chasing. I rolled over the line with a healthy 30-50m advantage. The Sutherland guy beat the 16yr old Norths kid in the sprint. My fellow DH rider came in 4th. Speaking to all involved, the Sutherland guy tried to break the field with me by holding his attack to the last second but allowed me to get too far ahead and couldn't get on my wheel so he dragged the other 2 riders with him (but broke the remainder). The 16yr old kid had many chances throughout the race but with the limited gearing could not spin fast enough to get away. Finally, i thanked the DH rider for providing me with the win. He held up the other 2 riders when it was his turn at the front chasing. If it wasnt for him i would have rolled in 4th. I had a vomit during the breakaway and i was hurting the entire race. I now feel like a burglar so i hope others don't feel the same way.

Stats:

dist - 24.46kms
time - 43min 07*sec
speed - 34.0km/hr* avg (51.1 max)
cadence - 92 avg (118 max)
heart rate - 171 HR avg (191 max)

* - The garmin played up so i am missing approx 1min of the race (which the software has assumed missed time/distance). The software assumed correct on time. Damn good software!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 am

Date: 13 March 10
Conditions: Headwind at straight, Rain!
Grade: C :D - 10 Laps (weather)
Result: 8th
Report:

Debating whether i should head out with some dark cloulds looming, i decided that i better go. Turned up and went through the usual speil at rego. "D grade?" Yeah i guess so. "Did you want to try C grade?" Yes please! Woohoo, finally i get the promotion. :D
The goal was to finish the race. 20+ in the field today and as we rolled out the pace was on from the go. I didn't quite feel confident so i sat at the back for the first lap to see how better riders handle their machines. The better quality was noticable so i had to be on my game when cornering. As we went around for lap 2 the rain drops started. By lap 3 it was coming down in buckets. I felt a little more confident (or perhaps everyone was slowing) and i got myself about 5 from the tail of the field. By lap 5 the rain persisted and the officals called 4 laps to go. The tailwind down the back bumps got speeds up to 50km/hr, the surges here had the field stretched out in single file. I quickly made my way up to mid field as i didn't want to get dropped and sat in at about 12th. The pace increased and the rain stopped, by the end of lap 7 the surges were frequent. A crash in B grade got the bunch back together so it looked like a sprint finish. The bell rang and i found myself at the front of a 3 wide bunch. I was in a great position but inexperience had me slip back to 12th spot again by the bumps. We hit the straight and the sprint was on. The guys at the front shot off and i was left winding up far too late. I passed 4 sprinters and got within about 20m from the front 4 who lunged on the line for the win. Happy that i finished in the pack, happy i can keep up with the sprint, happy with 8th spot! Unhappy i let a good position slip. Next time i should keep the near the front on the bell lap to have any chance of a top 5 finish.

I also noticed that my back wheel felt like it was flat when accellerating through the corners (wobbling around). Is this my wheel flexing, the frame, or the tyre moving around? Is this normal? I haven't noticed this before.

Stats:

dist - 20.20kms
time - 34min 51sec
speed - 34.8km/hr avg (51.3 max)
cadence - 88 avg (124 max)
heart rate - 165 HR avg (191 max)

The garmin played up again. I finally fixed it hopefully for the last time.

Edit: Fixed distance/time/avg speed to 10 laps
Last edited by Strawburger on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 am

Nice and you are more than strong enough for C. That ride together to Waterfall 2-3 months ago told me that. I think you have enough power in your legs to podium in C too. :mrgreen:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:40 pm

What PSI are you running? How much do you weigh?

Having ridden with you, you are fast enough to sit in on C grade. Perhaps some sprint training would help, head for the Veldrome Mon or Wed night, Lindsay can help with a loaner track bike.