Fixed Elite Project - Updated 14/3

brendan03

Fixed Elite Project - Updated 14/3

Postby brendan03 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Tossed up between posting this here or in the fixed thread, but ultimately this bike is more about "Retro Biking" than it is "Fixed" for me.

Anyway, started this quite awhile ago, then procrastinated for a long time. Back into action now though so I though I'd start a thread to post some pics along the way. Check out this old thread for a brief history. Since then I've sold the frame I was planning to use (pictured as my truing stand) and a some of the parts previously equipped on the Ricardo Elite frame. Thank YOU eBay "fixie" frenzy! Freed up some coin to spend on the Elite!

Frame went off to A-Class Powdercoaters in Moorabin this morning. I'll report back once I get the finished product in a couple of weeks (they're flat out!) but a few guys on fixed.org.au had good things to say about their work. Decided to colour match as best I could so the powdercoat colour I chose is "Precious Silver Perl". Very similar to the current paint colour.

Decided to powedercoat and not paint. Would have liked to do a more "creative" livery utilising someone like Damhooligan but in the end chose function over form. This bike will be my all weather run around and powders hardiness to take a few knocks won out in the end.

New alloy wheelset is on its way from the US. Postage costs are killer (A$80!!) but patience won me a some new Wienman DP18's (Cheaper Velocity deep V knockoffs) for just $90. That is hundreds less than I could source a similar product from LBS or local ebay. Love that strong aussie dollar!

(generic google images - both my wheels are machined so I can run a fixed/free setup with rear brake)

Still also hoping to get some "Ricardo" & "elite" decals from cyclomondo - and will run with a red/black/silver scheme.

Thats all for now I guess - Pretty keen to start putting it all together. Have some Golden Arrow cranks, going to keep the orignal bottom bracker (still runs smooth!) and have a cool SR (Sakae) Royal seat post. Got a new headset a while back and have some chop & flop bull horns good to go.

Still to source some looooong reach brake callipers & leavers, chain, locking ring & rear cog. Will need tyres & tubes obviously, and thats about it i think. I'll update again in a couple of weeks when I have the frame back and wheels!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Update 25/11: Wheels & Decals

Received the wheels from the US they look awesome, but unfortunatly suffered some minor cosmetic damage to the front rim in transit. The eBay seller has offered to refund $10 which is a nice gesture. I got some red enamel paint from the hobby shop to touch it up but it's not a very good colour match so I'll have to get some white/yellow and try mix the right colour.

Otherwise still waiting to hear back from the powder coater, in the meantime I've re-created (and re-imagined) some decals. Just trying to find someone to produces them (cheaply) is the mission now:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Update 30/11: Waiting & polishing

Still waiting on my frame, it was due last friday so can't be too long. In the intrum I decided to polish up some of the parts I've recycled in the manor documented on this forum. Must say I'm very happy with the result, wonder how long they'll stay this shiny?

Also, introducing my costom Simano "Crimson Arrow" crank set :P

Also put in an order on this link is broken for some bits and peices. It is *AMAZING* how much cheaper it is to ship some of these things over from the UK, check out this list:
  • 2 of Velox Rim Tape (Narrow (Road))
  • 2 of Vittoria Road Inner Tube (700x1923)
  • 2 of Vittoria Rubino Road Tyres (700x23)
  • 1 of Pro Lite Riscone Cork Bar Tape (Black Carbon)
  • 1 of KMC Kool BMX Chain (1/8")
  • 1 of Charge Poacher Saddle (Black)
Grand total /w free delivery = AU$100.06 (spend over AU$90 for free delivery)

Haven't found anyone to produce the decals for a reasonable price yet, so that hunt continues.

Update 4/12: Frame's back baby.

Frame is back, and I'm very happy with the job A-Class in Moorabin have done. The colour is not as bright and vibrant as I was hoping, it's a bit flat and plastic-y but thats the difference between a quality spay paint job and powder I suppose. Overall, the still happy.

Since I had some enamel paint left over from the rim touch up I decided to try my hand at some lug line work. The result is not bad for a first effort, not sure I'm 100% in love with the job it may or may not stay (some turps will make short work of it if I decide to wipe it off).

Also confirmed my fears, I do in fact need to find brake calipers with a 70mm reach. :?

Also had to file back the front-fork dropouts just a touch to get the front axels to fit in. I think I'll also sand the powdercoat off the rear dropouts so I don't have the messy scuffs from adjusting the wheel back and forth. Love the track nuts on these hubs though - they make life much easier!

Update 14/3: Update

Been on the road for a while now, but just today I added a 700c front fork. New fork means I can use a much better brake and it looks heaps petter with the 700c wheels.

Last edited by brendan03 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rustychisel

Re: Fixed Elite Project

Postby rustychisel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:45 pm

let me offer just the one piece of uninvited advice. When the wheels arrive take the time to examine the grease and smoothness of the hubs and service as required; and especially check rims are true, spokes are bedded correctly and of close to correct tension etc. A number of those cheap shops (many of them) do an appalling job of building wheels, largely 'cause the wheels are cheap and they don't give trying truck. The components are all okay though (nothing wrong with Formula or rebadged hubs IMO) so some attention with a spoke spanner will likely save a lot of grief.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:16 pm

rustychisel wrote:let me offer just the one piece of uninvited advice. When the wheels arrive take the time to examine the grease and smoothness of the hubs and service as required; and especially check rims are true, spokes are bedded correctly and of close to correct tension etc. A number of those cheap shops (many of them) do an appalling job of building wheels, largely 'cause the wheels are cheap and they don't give trying truck. The components are all okay though (nothing wrong with Formula or rebadged hubs IMO) so some attention with a spoke spanner will likely save a lot of grief.
Fantastic advice and most welcome. I've built just the one wheel in my time, but learned enough that I'll have no problem truing up any quick & shonky exports. From experience, new wheels need a decent recalibration after the first few rides anyway - which is why i dished out a massive $15 for a spoke wrench. :P

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Had similar plans for my Ricardo, but have now decieded to go for a Rivendale inspired touring design. Just a question what type of headset has your's got? I pulled mine the other day to take it to the powder coaters and found that it is a JIS steerer race. As for brakes I am going get some Tektro R358's which are apparently avalible in a nutted version and are the duck's nuts.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:07 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Just a question what type of headset has your's got? I pulled mine the other day to take it to the powder coaters and found that it is a JIS steerer race.
I found the frame and fork on a kerbside hard rubbish pile and it was missing everything including the headset. Someone else suggested I might find JIS stamped on my fork but i couldn't find any markings on it - not even a tange stamp. I have picked up a new headset for it (standard 1" deal) and hope it will fit. I've previously ridden it with a random headset I had from another frame - needed to space it up with some bottom bracket lockrings though. This time I'll trim the stem to fit.
singlespeedscott wrote:As for brakes I am going get some Tektro R358's which are apparently avalible in a nutted version and are the duck's nuts.
Someone else mentioned Tektro brakes today - I must learn more. My reach on the front calliper is a ridiculous 80mm (unless i miss-measured or measured from the wrong points) so I'm having a tough time finding a calliper to fit. Once I have the fork & wheel I'll take it to the folk at Abbortsford Cycles, I'm sure they'll sort me out with something to suit.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:47 pm

[quote="brendan03 My reach on the front calliper is a ridiculous 80mm (unless i miss-measured or measured from the wrong points) so I'm having a tough time finding a calliper to fit. Once I have the fork & wheel I'll take it to the folk at Abbortsford Cycles, I'm sure they'll sort me out with something to suit.[/quote]
Seems strange that the reach is that much. Your frame looks very similar to mine other than the shifter bosses, mine used a suntour synchro shifter, and I have brazed on shift cable guides. I think your's will only require a 57mm reach like mine.

saintdarth

Postby saintdarth » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Brendan can you hit me with a link,

"New alloy wheelset is on its way from the US. Postage costs are killer (A$80!!) but patience won me a some new Wienman DP18's (Cheaper Velocity deep V knockoffs) for just $90."

I'd like to have a look at those! :shock:

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:00 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I think your's will only require a 57mm reach like mine.
Where do you measure the reach? I assume from the caliper centre bolt to the braking surface? I'll need to re-measure when i get the fork back.

Hey Saint, this is the eBay store I bought from. For some reason he had about a dozen wheels of varying styles, colours & makes all ending within minutes of each other. I just had all the ones I was happy to purchase (the red, blacks & silver) in my watch list. When the auctions were ending I worked my way down the list, bidding my max a minute or so before each ended. These red ones were about 5th down the line. I was bidding upto $120 as well, got lucky - guess no one wanted red wheels that day :P

Here is another seller with the same item for US$130. You might get lucky using the "make an offer" option and get em cheaper.

These wheels from eightInch were also on my short list. US$99 including tires and tubes sounds like a good deal though I can't vouch for their quality.

Dxs

Postby Dxs » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:39 am

this will look aesthetically pleasing...

how much is the powder coat costing you.. they stripping the old paint off too?

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Dxs wrote:this will look aesthetically pleasing...
I hope so :D

I was quoted blast & powder for $90. For the exotic colours like mine (metalics, pearls) $130 is the damage. Good deal IMO - especially since these guys have a good track record with bikes. Will let you know how it turns out.

eon

Postby eon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 pm

brendan03 wrote: New alloy wheelset is on its way from the US. Postage costs are killer (A$80!!) but patience won me a some new Wienman DP18's (Cheaper Velocity deep V knockoffs) for just $90. That is hundreds less than I could source a similar product from LBS or local ebay. Love that strong aussie dollar!
where abouts can i get such wheelset ? can you PM me please.
been looking for a decent not too costly wheelset for my build...

thanks.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Hey eon, scroll up a few posts - All the details are there including the fruits of my research that lead to buying those wheels. :D

eon

Postby eon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

brendan03 wrote:Hey eon, scroll up a few posts - All the details are there including the fruits of my research that lead to buying those wheels. :D
ok, sorry.. got a little excited when you posted the pic and prices.. :D

thanks.

Dxs

Postby Dxs » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:04 am

brendan03 wrote:
Dxs wrote:this will look aesthetically pleasing...
I hope so :D

I was quoted blast & powder for $90. For the exotic colours like mine (metalics, pearls) $130 is the damage. Good deal IMO - especially since these guys have a good track record with bikes. Will let you know how it turns out.
yeah sounds good,
seeming as though if you were to do it yourself, materials and labor would exceed that cost anyway.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:18 am

sixx

Postby sixx » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:25 pm

nice job on the decals.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:58 pm

Yeah, gonna look lovely

Dxs

Postby Dxs » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:49 pm

got the frame back yet??

have u had to recontact Aclass to check how it is going/nag them?

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:14 pm

It's not back yet - but today was "D" day. Dropped it off two weeks ago today and they said "about two weeks".

I'll chase them up on Monday, it can't be far off now but I was warned they were busy.

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:12 pm

brendan03

Re: Fixed Elite Project - Updated 4/12

Postby brendan03 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:51 am

Frame is back, (updated first post) - newest bits at the bottom.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:23 am

looking good mate, awesome job on the polishing, spesh the cranks :wink:

im assuming your waiting on a tool for the headset?

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 am

I have the "tool" (long arsed bolt, nut and washers from bunnings :P) but just slapped everything together quickly last night to get a glimpse at how it's coming together.

Still want to rust protect the inside of the frame before I bolt everything on too.

Dxs

Postby Dxs » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:08 pm

so are you happy with the powedercoat in the end?

I just dropped off my bike at Aclass, i have no clue when to expect it back (hopefully they call) :p

And how do you plan to rust protect the inside?

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Very happy with the job. The colour is not as vibrant as a spray job would have been (that was a slight disappointment) but I did know that before I started.

For rust proofing, I grabbed an aerosol can of linseed oil ($12, bunnings) and sprayed away. Swung the frame around my head (billy-can style) and let the excess run out.

In other news, this morning I left my new (used, 50 year old) Cinelli Unicanitor soaking in leather conditioner. Stock image:

Also, who ever invented this style of double bolt seat post clamp trickery is now my mortal enemy: