Police issuing tickets to cyclists at Woody Point

beanspropulsion

Police issuing tickets to cyclists at Woody Point

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Just a heads up. Out cycling today I saw a copper issuing tickets to cyclists who ran the stop sign on Hornibriook Esp heading east before Anzac Ave.

All I could say out loud as I blasted through the junction was "You have to be kidding!". The police must of solved all the other crime on the peninsula.

I don't know any cyclists who stop here for the sign, it is safer to keep going. The alternative is to stop dead do a track stand if you are able check you are clear and then carry on. By the time that you have done that you get cleaned up by the speeding bogan in his riceracer who think's he's Mark Webber.

This junction should be give way, it has good visibility up into Anzac Ave. Maybe the police should look at the speeding motorists who are the real cause of the problem.

Fair go if you get caught you have to cop the fine but I thought it was a bit petty.

Pax

Re: Police issuing tickets to cyclists at Woody Point

Postby Pax » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:22 pm

He/she must have made the Qld govt a fair bundle of revenue then, that spot has a pretty high volume of cycle traffic! Be interesting to see what happenned when some of the bigger bunches came through, which unlucky cyclist from the bunch would be the one that police decided to pull over ??

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Looked to me that it was just a normal weekend cyclist they pulled (flat bar bike, gym clothes).

Wonder if any others today or just a random?

Hopefully won't be a regular occurance because this junction would be a goldmine if the police wanted to be difficult and issue infringements for a stop sign that shouldn't really be there.

As I said I blitzed through and was lucky that the solitary copper was already booking someone or I would be wearing a fine too.

soc

Postby soc » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:27 pm

I must admit that I do try to stop at this intersection before going through. A couple of times I've rolled through if i'm with a group or a group is coming up behind, but generally I'll slow down to as much of a stop as I can without unclipping (mainly cause I can't track-stand for !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!) then take off. I've had a few instances when I'm driving coming around from Oxley Ave and nearly collected some idiot (driver, not cyclist) blasting through the stop sign, so I treat this intersection with caution when both driving through it and riding through it. Just my 2c worth...

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:22 pm

Im sure the cops will also fine drivers who fail to stop - I dont see what the problem is :roll:

If we want to use the road - we should abide by the same rules that cars do.

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:Im sure the cops will also fine drivers who fail to stop - I dont see what the problem is :roll:

Have you ridden there drunkmonkey? I've no problem with a fine if I do the wrong thing but this is blatant revenue raising.

I sort of like my little pink innards to stay inside my little pink body so i'm not a great risk taker, so believe me it is safer to go through this junction than to stop.

I'm usually law abiding and stop at red lights etc. Talking to people at work today who drive down there regularly say they don't stop there either.

Yes the law is the law but the law is an ass.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:55 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:Im sure the cops will also fine drivers who fail to stop - I dont see what the problem is :roll:

Have you ridden there drunkmonkey?
Drunkmonkey might not've, but I have. More than once, stopping at that intersection has saved my bacon. I find it difficult to judge the closing distance of a car coming around that long sweeping bend. If I'd blown through the intersection, I'm sure I would've got cleaned up.

Who cares if it's revenue raising? It's just a bloody stop sign. Stop, start again. Two seconds. Is losing two seconds of your life really that much of an impost?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:

Have you ridden there drunkmonkey? I've no problem with a fine if I do the wrong thing but this is blatant revenue raising.

I sort of like my little pink innards to stay inside my little pink body so i'm not a great risk taker, so believe me it is safer to go through this junction than to stop.

I'm usually law abiding and stop at red lights etc. Talking to people at work today who drive down there regularly say they don't stop there either.

Yes the law is the law but the law is an ass.
I am not familiar with that intersection so i will not comment further on it specifically.

But having been a regular motor-car driver since1978 and regular cyclist since1981 i have spent lot of time on the roads.

How our Police justify some of their activities is very difficult to understand.

There is intersection near where i live, police are often there pulling up drivers who turn left at the stop sign without fully stopping.
I have lived near this intersection for almost 9 years and i don't think there has EVER been an accident of any significance at this intersection, due to this or any other type of sloppy driving.
So why do they sit there pulling up naive motorists ?
It beats me why, when there are plenty of other intersections and streets in the Bardon/Ashgrove/Milton area where significant or serious accidents have occured due to bad driving.
Now i concede that Police Officers are perhaps often INSTRUCTED to do things which THEY perhaps think is a bit dubious.

For example, there were quite a few police cars/motorcycles present in and around Suncorp stadium on Sunday night.
Goodness only knows why, because the total "crowd" (Soccer game Bris. Roar versus NZ Phoenix) was only 6307 !!!
And most of those dedicated and resolute persons came on public transport.
No wonder the "traffic controllers" looked incredibly bored, there was no traffic to control !

Thats the smart state for you, our government has generic policies and protocols that are often completely inappropriate for what is actually happening at Suncorp stadium, or Oxley avenue at Woody Point or perhaps lots of other places on the ground in Queensland.
Oh yeah years ago MSO got pinged for doing 90 km/hr in an 80 km/hr zone on the Deagon deviation or whatever you call it just before the Hornibrook bridge.
A few weeks later the speed limit was officially changed from 80 km/hr to 90 km/hr !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

soc

Postby soc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:03 am

In the local newspaper this morning, under the Crime Stoppers police reports, etc -
Redcliffe Herald 02/12/2009 - Redcliffe police have noticed an increase in cyclists taking risks on roads in the area.
Officer in charge Senior Sergeant Darryl Keys said traffic enforcement action was being taken and all cyclists caught breaking the law would be fined.
He reminded cyclists a $100 fine applied for failing to obey a stop sign or failing to give way at a pedestrian crossing.
It would appear that the local coppers will be on a naughty cyclists blitz around Redcliffe...

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:59 pm

They were also out (last weekend) booking cyclists (and car drivers) running the stop sign at Morgans up at Scarborough, not stopping at the pedestrian crossings in Redcliffe shopping area and warning cyclists for speeding in 40 km zones

I would say that the locals have complained about the poor behaviour of SOME cyclists in the area and the police are showing that the complaint isnt falling on deaf ears.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista