Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

matth

Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby matth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Can anyone recommend good commutes from Glenelg (start near Brighton Road tram stop) to Greenhill Road (near Glen Osmond Road). I am just starting riding again and am not 100% confident with busy roads, however may try them if they have bike lanes.

Thanks in advance.

shiv

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby shiv » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:03 pm

The obvious one is straight up Anzac Hwy which has a bike lane the whole way, but can be quite busy at certain times of the day (and may be prone to random !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! in cars as i found out on Wed). Any other option would involve snaking through back streets that are a lot quiter but would make for a much longer slower ride. Back roads also dont always have bike lanes either. Maybe try tackling Anzaz at a quite time of day like mid morning and see how that goes.
Good luck and enjoy your riding

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm

There is a linear park that follows the route of the old glenelg railway line through Plympton and Mile End. It's twisty and you have to give way to lots of cross roads but if you want to stay off the roads and you're not in a hurry, it's not a bad option.

A better option would be to follow the tram line, you should have secondary roads and bike paths the whole way to greenhill road (although the south road crossing might be an issue while they're building the tram bridge).

I've only nearly-been-killed twice on Anzac Highway, it's not that bad!

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Biffidus wrote:There is a linear park that follows the route of the old glenelg railway line through Plympton and Mile End. It's twisty and you have to give way to lots of cross roads but if you want to stay off the roads and you're not in a hurry, it's not a bad option.
Quite a nice path that one.
If you hook up with it behind Camden oval it will spit you out at the the bottom of london rd and Sth rd.Or jump off at Richmond rd and it's a short haul to g/hill.
google maps will give you an idea.A few roads to cross(back streets) and a couple of mains with lights.Give it a go on a w/end maybe.

shiv

Postby shiv » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:28 pm

brauluver wrote:
Biffidus wrote:There is a linear park that follows the route of the old glenelg railway line through Plympton and Mile End. It's twisty and you have to give way to lots of cross roads but if you want to stay off the roads and you're not in a hurry, it's not a bad option.
Quite a nice path that one.
If you hook up with it behind Camden oval it will spit you out at the the bottom of london rd and Sth rd.Or jump off at Richmond rd and it's a short haul to g/hill.
google maps will give you an idea.A few roads to cross(back streets) and a couple of mains with lights.Give it a go on a w/end maybe.
I didnt know this track existed!! Might be a good one to get the traffic shy missus onto to get her ks up

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:41 am

A better option would be to follow the tram line, you should have secondary roads and bike paths the whole way to greenhill road (although the south road crossing might be an issue while they're building the tram bridge).

I've only nearly-been-killed twice on Anzac Highway, it's not that bad!
The old train line route is okay. Kinda twisty and you gave to constantly give way to cross roads. I'm not really a fan of that route.

Following the tram line is a much better way, pretty easy (once you know your way) and it'll bring you up near Wayville Showgrounds. We rode this route yesterday from Gelnelg (Jetty road) and it's fine (and quicker) than the linear park.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

bepboy

Postby bepboy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Check this site out - it shows all the bike tracks, lanes etc
http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport% ... cling+maps
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Following the tram line is a much better way, pretty easy (once you know your way) and it'll bring you up near Wayville Showgrounds. We rode this route yesterday from Gelnelg (Jetty road) and it's fine (and quicker) than the linear park.
which way did you go around the Morphetville Race Course?

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 am

Along the tram line, kind of between Anzac Highway and the racecourse. There’s a new path that goes behind McDonald’s.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

matth

Postby matth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Which side of th tram line is it (Anzac or Racecourse side). Googlemaps doesn't show the path ?

You wouldn't have a Bikely map by any chance. I'm planning on taking a couple of test rides over the Xmas break, but with the detail on Googlemaps it is hard to pick the best path. This is one I did but not sure of the accuracy http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/370524

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Along the tram line, kind of between Anzac Highway and the racecourse. There’s a new path that goes behind McDonald’s.
lovin' that new run behind maccas. i can get from home in unley to work at glenelg, now without hitting a main road in roughly same time as anzac 'death race' highway.

matth

Postby matth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Which route do you take from Unley... I'm currently using Cross Road then the new path behind Maccas and along the tramline but am looking for alternatives to mix it up ?

Do you have a bikely route ?

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:26 pm

matth wrote:Which route do you take from Unley... I'm currently using Cross Road then the new path behind Maccas and along the tramline but am looking for alternatives to mix it up ?

Do you have a bikely route ?
uhh,no i have a street directory...
from greenhill/kw rd usually take bike path to goodie rd, cross to the right of the tramway (railway tce) to south rd using train station subway. then glengyle to beckham, switch back to left of tram tracks and ever onward to race track. 22 mins best time to jetty rd. where do you work?

matth

Postby matth » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I work just off Greenhill Road but comute to Glenelg to pick up my car. I'm just looking at alretnatives to break it up.