Need Help - Looking at getting a recumbent trike

TJE

Need Help - Looking at getting a recumbent trike

Postby TJE » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 am

Hi. I have no idea where to start, but I am looking into the possibility of purchasing a recumbent - most likely a trike. The reason that I am thinking of this is that due to me having rheumatoid arthritis, I can't ride a normal bikeas my knee can't bend too far back, and my knee is bone on bone (I need a knee replacement), but think I may be able to ride one of these. I thought the trike might be best, as I haven't ridden a bike for years and balancing might be a problem on my sore knee.

Can these be legally ridden on the footpath (I think I read somewhere that you can get a letter from your doctor to say that you need to do this for medical reasons). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I live in Adelaide. Where is the best place to buy one and is there anywhere where you can try one before you buy? If not, is there anywhere where you can hire one and test it out.

I'd appreciate any advice that anyone wishes to share with me!

froodh

Re: Need Help - Looking at getting a recumbent trike

Postby froodh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi TJE,

Not sure riding a 'bent will help your knees, but many people choose a bent because of back/neck/wrist problems.
Having a trike will help if you have balance problems.

You can buy a 'bent from at least four companies in Oz:
www.justbents.com.au (Perth)
www.flyingfurniture.com.au (Canberra)
ww.trisled.com.au (near Melbourne)
www.ooocycles.com.au (Brisbane?)

I live in Adelaide too (western suburbs) but I have a recumbent bike, not a trike. You are welcome try mine if you want. Email me on froodh@gmail.com

I remember seeing a post from someone else in Adelaide with a trike, but I can't remember who.

cheers,
Jeremy

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I know of Bernie Jones Cycles, Diagonal Rd just up from the Marion Shopping Centre. They don't seem to generally keep any in stock but prefer to order in so probably not a good place to try first off. I asked about bikes, they gave me a conversation that was patently about Greenspeed trikes even though I stressed 'two wheels' so I'm sure you'll have fun there. http://www.berniejonescycles.com.au/bik ... ories.html
And Lifecyle Bikes in Kensington Rd, Norwood (near Vic park). They've had Greenspeeds out the front but last time I checked there an Anura delta trike was it. Considering your knee problem perhaps this is the better trike for you as (and someone will probably shoot me down here) I think that you need to consider entry/exit with the trike. I'd had a Greenspeed tadpole trike for the last decade and last year I suffered a nasty accident, have real trouble with getting and out of the trike and it now hangs on the wall awaiting my recuperation, darn thing is too low for me right now. Perhaps you might also look at having shorter cranks for the same of your knee? The Anura I think also works better for Adelaide given its narrowness, it has more of a dart profile that the tadpole's crab. Up to you, go try it. http://www.lifecyclebicycles.com.au/

If you were considering a SWB there are issues for the injured (trust me) in that at traffic lights you can find the bike rolling back because of the weight being laid back on the low-angled seat. Something that calls for a bit of knee work to keep from rolling back, or having to sit up and put both feet on the ground, then have a cold start at the green light every time.
Really I would see if balance really is a concern otherwise try something LWB (or CLWB like a BikeE design), tall bike, very open cockpit, upright seat, shortened cranks, perhaps even pedal extenders. You want to just get the pedals turning, you're not after speed and great performance, just a bit of a workout for your health, right? So a comfy LWB.

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:53 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:I know of Bernie Jones Cycles, Diagonal Rd just up from the Marion Shopping Centre. They don't seem to generally keep any in stock but prefer to order in so probably not a good place to try first off. I asked about bikes, they gave me a conversation that was patently about Greenspeed trikes even though I stressed 'two wheels' so I'm sure you'll have fun there. http://www.berniejonescycles.com.au/bik ... ories.html
And Lifecyle Bikes in Kensington Rd, Norwood (near Vic park). They've had Greenspeeds out the front but last time I checked there an Anura delta trike was it. Considering your knee problem perhaps this is the better trike for you as (and someone will probably shoot me down here) I think that you need to consider entry/exit with the trike. I'd had a Greenspeed tadpole trike for the last decade and last year I suffered a nasty accident, have real trouble with getting and out of the trike and it now hangs on the wall awaiting my recuperation, darn thing is too low for me right now. Perhaps you might also look at having shorter cranks for the same of your knee? The Anura I think also works better for Adelaide given its narrowness, it has more of a dart profile that the tadpole's crab. Up to you, go try it. http://www.lifecyclebicycles.com.au/

If you were considering a SWB there are issues for the injured (trust me) in that at traffic lights you can find the bike rolling back because of the weight being laid back on the low-angled seat. Something that calls for a bit of knee work to keep from rolling back, or having to sit up and put both feet on the ground, then have a cold start at the green light every time.
Really I would see if balance really is a concern otherwise try something LWB (or CLWB like a BikeE design), tall bike, very open cockpit, upright seat, shortened cranks, perhaps even pedal extenders. You want to just get the pedals turning, you're not after speed and great performance, just a bit of a workout for your health, right? So a comfy LWB.
++1
If you are after a bike have a look at the new Australian design Sigma. I have ridden it and it is so comfortable, effortless yet sporty.

http://www.sigmabike.com/main.html

cheers
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:25 pm

I suffer arthritis of the feet and worn cartilage in one knee, and find a trike is marvellous, especially since I can rest my feet/knees at any time without even taking my feet from the clips.

I think the possible difficulty with entry and exit is likely to become more a matter of technique. One of my trikey mates has had a stroke some years ago and has only got use of one arm and leg, but he seems to manage quite well, and his outfit has 16" wheels all the way round.

I've got an old Greenspeed GTR 20"/26" from the early 1990s fitted with a Heinzmann 200 Watt motor to help get me up the steeper hills.

I got an email yesterday from Greenspeed in Melbourne saying my new GTIII (with 16" wheels all round and a Heinzemann motor) is on its way to Perth. Hopefully get here before Christmas but I'm not hanging out for it.

Total cost $5637, incl freight to Perth but (as they say on the toy packaging) batteries not included.

http://www.greenspeed.com.au/trikes.html

Good luck.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:29 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I'd had a Greenspeed tadpole trike for the last decade and last year I suffered a nasty accident, have real trouble with getting and out of the trike and it now hangs on the wall awaiting my recuperation, darn thing is too low for me right now.
I noticed while surfing 'round the Greenspeed site, they have an option for a "grab handle" which seems to sit on top of the steering post, with the mirror out to side. Have you seen those?

http://greenspeed.com.au/webimages/gt3_ ... gt3_3.html

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell