Advice on Folding Bikes

sallyc

Advice on Folding Bikes

Postby sallyc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi, I would like to buy a folding bike to assist with my commute to work, which involves a walk and a train trip. The walk is a couple of kms and there are some hilly bits and I have lost some fitness in recent months, so I figure I'll need low gearing to start with.

I have looked around and found the Dahon range, but have also found another brand called Holstar, which sells for a lot less. Is the extra money worth spending on the more expensive bikes? I have only seen photos of Dahons but I have seen a Holstar for $600 and it was light and looked pretty well made, but it only had 6 gears. I am considering buying the Holstar as it is available just up the road from me, but I thought I'd ask around in case I'd live to regret not going the extra expense for the Dahon.

Thanks for your help!

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 pm

Some folding bikes are awful, some are okay, some are great.

I have one in the "okay" range, a "Yeah" 20 inch wheel, 6 speed Steel framed folding bike. These frames are much the same as the low end Dahons but the bike has cheaper running gear and brakes. It's perfectly adequate for the occasional 10-20km ride but there are compromises. Mine cost $400.

IF you intend to use your bike a lot, it's worth spending more. I can't really guess more than that without knowing the bikes in question. If the Dahon bike you're considering has a SRAM Dual Drive system (3 speed hub + 7/8 speed deraileur) it's worth the extra, especially since you want some low gears.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:31 pm

I can't comment on folding bikes at all, though be patient, we do have a couple of owners of them on the forum. Maybe a search would produce some results.

However, I own a Holstar tag-along bike. Not the same thing I know, but it is well made and does everything it's supposed to. Maybe you can extrapolate to their folders, maybe you can't, but based on this unit, I would certainly look at Holstar products.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

triode12

Re: Advice on Folding Bikes

Postby triode12 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 pm

sallyc wrote:Hi, I would like to buy a folding bike to assist with my commute to work, which involves a walk and a train trip. The walk is a couple of kms and there are some hilly bits and I have lost some fitness in recent months, so I figure I'll need low gearing to start with.

I have looked around and found the Dahon range, but have also found another brand called Holstar, which sells for a lot less. Is the extra money worth spending on the more expensive bikes? I have only seen photos of Dahons but I have seen a Holstar for $600 and it was light and looked pretty well made, but it only had 6 gears. I am considering buying the Holstar as it is available just up the road from me, but I thought I'd ask around in case I'd live to regret not going the extra expense for the Dahon.

Thanks for your help!
You really have to try them out yourself to know.

I bought a $200 Cell Magnesium folding bike (8.9kg) with the intent of riding to the station but it too is too flexy and without gears, will not allow me to make it up two hills along the way. So it now sits unused in my garage.

I've tried the famous but expensive Brompton and it was terrible. Too Flexy (like a wet noodle).

I tested a Bike North member's Aluminium Dahon last week and it was much stiffer and lighter than the Brompton. He is able to maintain an avg speed of 21-22 km/h with it, even up moderate hills.

If you are in Sydney, Cheeky Monkey in Newtown will allow customers to try out their folders. They carry both Bromptons and Dahons.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:28 pm

triode12 wrote: If you are in Sydney, Cheeky Monkey in Newtown will allow customers to try out their folders. They carry both Bromptons and Dahons.
my friend works at cheeky monkey in newtown and she gave me a rather wierd look and told me i was retarded when i asked if they sold folding bikes...are you sure it is cheeky monkey that sells the bikes???
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:18 pm

Probably 'cause you asked a stoopid question
http://shop.cheekytransport.com.au/stor ... Category=4

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:56 pm

alchemist wrote:Probably 'cause you asked a stoopid question
http://shop.cheekytransport.com.au/stor ... Category=4
i'm sure she would have understood what i was talkin about

Mitch
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

sallyc

Postby sallyc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks all for your advice. I ended up with the Speed 8 Dahon with SRAM gears for $695 from Cell bikes in Stanmore. It was definitely worth the extra money because it feels like a normal bike, no 'wet noodle' effect at higher speeds. Only difference is you feel a little higher because the wheels are smaller. I looked at the Holstar and Giant folding bikes that were a little cheaper, but the Dahon is definitely the way to go.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

20 inch wheels

Dahon Speed P8

Postby 20 inch wheels » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:59 pm

I have to give my vote too for the Dahon Speed P8. It is probably the best value for money in the Dahon range, and the Dahon's are probably the best value for money in the "serious" folding bike market.

I've covered thousands of km on this model bike (including the NSW Big Ride and the Great Victorian Bike Ride) and it has been brilliant.
life is unfolding

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:41 pm

triode12 wrote: I bought a $200 Cell Magnesium folding bike (8.9kg) with the intent of riding to the station but it too is too flexy and without gears, will not allow me to make it up two hills along the way. So it now sits unused in my garage.
If you've got a garage, what do you need a folding bike for :?: Forgive me if that's a stupid question.
The older I get, the better I was...

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Not everyone has a big enough garage for their car let alone a bike as well.

Also i think i recall it was folding whilst at work because they don't have bike lockups or any place for parking.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Mitch.

Until next time...

triode12

Postby triode12 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:54 pm

Blybo wrote:
triode12 wrote: I bought a $200 Cell Magnesium folding bike (8.9kg) with the intent of riding to the station but it too is too flexy and without gears, will not allow me to make it up two hills along the way. So it now sits unused in my garage.
If you've got a garage, what do you need a folding bike for :?: Forgive me if that's a stupid question.
Because I can't ride to work from where I live - too dangerous and it would take too long to get there. So I have to use the train.

I want to ride to the station and bring the bike with me instead of leaving the bike locked up at the station all day.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:02 pm

Doesn't it feel awkward when you put a bike on a crowded train.

The looks on peoples faces. It is like you are commiting a crime, when all you are doing is getting to where you need to be, you pay for a ticket as well.

Mitch.

Until next time...

triode12

Postby triode12 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:30 pm

Birdman wrote:Doesn't it feel awkward when you put a bike on a crowded train.

The looks on peoples faces. It is like you are commiting a crime, when all you are doing is getting to where you need to be, you pay for a ticket as well.

Mitch.
That is why I bought the folder so that it wouldn't take up so much space. But it wasn't made to crest steep hills.

But I understand what you mean. :)

Grev

Postby Grev » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Rejuvenating this old thread. Has anyone had any hands-on experience with a Fortis Urban Traveller 20" Folding Bike from Kogan. Very attractive price, sometimes marked down to around $100!