What to do with shirts?

Ozchuck

What to do with shirts?

Postby Ozchuck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:05 pm

I wear business shirts for work.
Sometimes I get to copout and wear a polo, but most days I'm in the thin fabric'd long sleeve shirt.

I've been trying to fold, or even "roll" my shirts up after ironing in the morning.
I'm currently experimenting with tonnes of starch.

Still cant get my shirts coming out of my bag respectable. :(

What do you find works, and how do you do it?

ForkinGreat

Re: Say What to do with shirts?

Postby ForkinGreat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:11 pm

take a week's worth to work (maybe not ride to work that day) & store them somewhere hanging up, if possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Sadly, they have a habit of dissapearing when night shift works.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:22 pm

I iron my shirt, then fold and then slip it into a plastic shopping bag (stiffer, thicker variety) with my trousers and then put it all in a flat sort of way into my backpack.

I find that my shirt comes out pretty well.

Trick is not to over pack your backpack, if you do, then everything gets crushed.

I leave my work shoes at the office, so my backpack is pretty light...

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Right. I've been experimenting with packing them between 2 stiff panels, but it seems no matter what I do, I get squishyness happening.

I've heard some people have a sweet rolling technique, and I'm keen to learn about that.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Ozchuck wrote:Sadly, they have a habit of dissapearing when night shift works.

Lobby your work to install lockers for people who get changed at work.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:25 pm

I've tried rolling, doesn't work for me. There may be some trick to it though. When backpacking I definitely used rolling as you can pack more in... but for pressed shirts, the less folds the better...

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm going to try a flat piece of hinged board shaped like an upper body if this keeps being an issue.
Dress the torso, and then fold him up.
Theory seems sounds at this point in time.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Ozchuck wrote: Still cant get my shirts coming out of my bag respectable. :(
Look at the packaging the shirt is sold in - and try to copy the folding/packing technique with possibly a wider backing board if your bag allows room. Pack the shirt in your bag so that it can't move around. Shirts packed this way in suit-case sized bags can travel thousands of miles and still look good on arrival. Will be more difficult with a back-pack sized bag, less so with larger panniers.

If you need any better result, maybe buy a small travel iron and iron them at work. Can be done on any table/desk with a suitable blanket or similar mat rolled out under it.

Ironing a shirt should only add a few minutes to your commute (i.e. two traffic light changes !), particularly if you heat the iron while showering.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:45 pm

take an iron with you :wink:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:32 pm

This isn't a cheap option in the short term, but different fabrics handle differently, so think about it next time you buy a new shirt. I now get my folks in the UK to buy me "Non-iron" shirts from Marks and Spencer and post them over - one or two a year for Christmas and birthday keeps me going. They really are non iron too. Wash, hang dry or tumble, then roll / fold in the bag, shake and hang if possible in the shower and then wear.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Ultimate ... b/59548031

I'd love to find something similar here, but I've been looking for ten years and not found any.

justD

Postby justD » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:00 pm

rhancock wrote:This isn't a cheap option in the short term, but different fabrics handle differently, so think about it next time you buy a new shirt. I now get my folks in the UK to buy me "Non-iron" shirts from Marks and Spencer and post them over - one or two a year for Christmas and birthday keeps me going. They really are non iron too. Wash, hang dry or tumble, then roll / fold in the bag, shake and hang if possible in the shower and then wear.

I'd love to find something similar here, but I've been looking for ten years and not found any.
That's very sad!! I've still got "iron free" shirts from back in South Africa, but only 2. I thought I'd just been looking in the wrong shops in Australia, but then obviously they don't have them here :( In that case I'll be asking mom-dearest to send me some over soon. They work like a dream!!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm

I'm lucky, I get to wear a polo shirt that don't crease easily 8)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 am

justD wrote:
rhancock wrote:This isn't a cheap option in the short term, but different fabrics handle differently, so think about it next time you buy a new shirt. I now get my folks in the UK to buy me "Non-iron" shirts from Marks and Spencer and post them over - one or two a year for Christmas and birthday keeps me going. They really are non iron too. Wash, hang dry or tumble, then roll / fold in the bag, shake and hang if possible in the shower and then wear.

That's very sad!! I've still got "iron free" shirts from back in South Africa, but only 2. I thought I'd just been looking in the wrong shops in Australia, but then obviously they don't have them here :( In that case I'll be asking mom-dearest to send me some over soon. They work like a dream!!
Van Heusen business shirts, Myer. Check the labels - some of the lines aren't non-iron.

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:54 pm

What sort of bag are you using?

I used to have panniers and just rolled the shirt and placed it on the top. No probs there as there was no weight on the shirt. Now I've switched to a messenger bag I still roll it and carefully position at the top. Depending on how much stuff I'm carrying, sometimes I'll get a light crease, but it's usually not too bad and comes out with body heat. Shirts get wrinkles and creases once you sit down in a chair anyway!

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:30 pm

These shirts sound awesome.

mcketi

Postby mcketi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Another option that I have been using for some time is to keep an iron and board at work. Stuff the shirt in a pannier and fix it at the destination.

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:07 pm

As there is an issue with leaving shirts, so too is there an issue with leaving an iron. ridiculous, I know.

I'll try more resilient shirts.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Lockers are the go.

That sucks that your stuff gets nicked. :evil:

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:32 pm

This
look at the packaging the shirt is sold in - and try to copy the folding/packing technique
Plus
Van Heusen business shirts, Myer. Check the labels - some of the lines aren't non-iron (also Gloweave)
Plus

Hanging the shirt in the shower cubicle and letting the steam get to them takes some wrinkles out

equals

Almost presentable :D
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:04 pm

twizzle wrote: Van Heusen business shirts, Myer. Check the labels - some of the lines aren't non-iron.
+1. My reference to shirts surviving thousand of suit-case miles was in fact to Van Heusen business shirts. Only ones that have sleeves long enough for a tall skinny bloke, as well as being non-iron.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks for the tip. Here's the Van Heusen page on their 3 non iron shirts: http://www.vanheusen.com.au/www/497/100 ... 01176.html

Hope you like white! There's white, white, white and three shades of white!

I'll look out for these in the post Christmas sales. I've bought Van Heusen before, but I've never found non iron.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:41 pm

rhancock wrote:Thanks for the tip. Here's the Van Heusen page on their 3 non iron shirts: http://www.vanheusen.com.au/www/497/100 ... 01176.html

Hope you like white! There's white, white, white and three shades of white!

I'll look out for these in the post Christmas sales. I've bought Van Heusen before, but I've never found non iron.
I only buy the non-iron ones, and I have a collection of about seven shirts - and only one of them is white. Mind you, they are all a few years old now - I have a hatred of shirts and pants, give me shorts and t-shirts any day. :)

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:22 pm

In the US I wore shorts, polo shirt, and jesus creepers to work every day, when I moved to Australia I had to start dressing up. I commute 5 days per week and found that buying the more expensive non-wrinkle shirts and pants is the only way to roll. I throw my stuff in the bag in the morning, and when I get to work and get dressed it all looks fine. I must admit I do look pretty good.

srl

Postby srl » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:42 pm

One approach is to lay the shirt (I go with a poly-cotton mix; cotton crushes) flat, front side down, then lay tissue paper or kitchen paper across the back. Fold sleeves in to collar and then down the centre line of the shirt. Fold the sides of the shirt in to the center and, finally, fold the tail up one third and again up to the collar. The folds have to be neat and really taut. Finally, stick the folded shirt in to a plastic bag and tuck the plastic bag tightly in to the shirt without crushing it. I tried this a few weeks ago and the shirt came out in reasonable shape. I then just hung it up while I had a shower so the steam could take out the creases. You won't get the same result as you would with a freshly ironed shirt, but really the only person who notices the crush marks is you.