netherland

dean_86

netherland

Postby dean_86 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:47 am

hey folks was heading over to the neatherland in april for a music festival but was thinking of taking my bike with me and plan a trip to england and up to scotland ,but the problem is i am not sure if i want to cycle down to france then get across to england or just fly to england from netherlands.anybody got any ideas or some good routes to take.one more thing i should ad the bike i have is a fuji 2009 tourer im hoping with a few added things it should be a good enough bike to take any thoughts?

cheers
dean
Last edited by dean_86 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Re: netherland

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:27 am

Might depend on the weather...April can be still pretty cold and wet...Hope so..time for a wet Roubaix!.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 am

damhooligan hails from the Netherlands if I'm not mistaken... I could be wrong, but I'm sure its there.

He's away at the moment, I'll mention that your after info when he returns.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm

it depends upon time and money and weather.
i had a working holiday in the UK many yrs ago, in those days you could easily fly with bicycle to london from aussie.

Caught a train London to Dover and then it is a nice boat to Ostend in Belgium.
Easy bike ride to Brugge but need to start riding on the R side of road. :shock:
Brugge - what an awesome place to start a european holiday. :D
Then a quick pedal into Netherlands and fantastic time pedalling through the south of Netherlands to a really nice place called Maastrict and then went to the top of a mountain about as big as Mt Coot-tha where the borders of Netherlands, Belgium and Germany meet (Dreilandenpunt)
Then did a bit of cross-country "mountain-biking" (on our road bikes) downhill into Germany (city of Aachen)
All of that took about a week so i think you probably cannot do bits of England, France and Scotland in this much detail.
I would be very wary about Scotland in April. It might still be seriously cold/wet.
My Netherlands trip was in September 1990. The weather was good, sometimes bit hot but then a bit cool when it rained.
Some of the smaller towns then you couldn't buy anything to eat during the siesta (midday till 2 pm)
Accomodation in cheap hotels or bed and breakfast usually very good and in those days not very expensive.
But fair dinkum, Scotland fascinating history and some great scenery but just the thought of the place makes me start shivering.
I would stick to parts of England (western parts) and Netherlands (southern parts) for the most user-friendly option.
Regards, Steve

FAMILYONWHEELS

Re: netherlands

Postby FAMILYONWHEELS » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:11 am

Hi , if you fly 2 Amsterdam take a train or bike to Hoek van Holland,you can take the boat from Hoek van Holland to the UK, it;s cheap and it's no problem 2 bring your bike.
Here in Holland in April the Weather is most of the times nice, you already have a lot of sun and you can swim in the sea it;s ok to do not to cold.
If you stay some time i play on The Hague Jazz Festival with my band Mister Rain & The Sunny Summers with Bandoneon,Sax,Guitar,Percussion,Sousafoon&Bass .

And there are many roads to cycle.

Happy Vibes

David
Last edited by m@ on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed in line with forum guidelines

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:16 pm

dean_86 wrote:hey folks was heading over to the neatherland in april for a music festival but was thinking of taking my bike with me and plan a trip to england and up to scotland ,but the problem is i am not sure if i want to cycle down to france then get across to england or just fly to england from netherlands.anybody got any ideas or some good routes to take.one more thing i should ad the bike i have is a fuji 2009 tourer im hoping with a few added things it should be a good enough bike to take any thoughts?
cheers
dean

G'day dean

Wich festival would that be??

How long are you going to travel, and how much riding are you planning to do?

If you riding wil be minimal, renting a bike could be an option.
for riding in the netherlands any bike wil do, so your fuji is perfect, as for france/england, haven't cycled there before.
If you planning to do a lot of riding, looking at bikely would be a good start.
The infra structure can get very confusing so doing some research is not a luxury.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

FAMILYONWHEELS

Postby FAMILYONWHEELS » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:05 am

You can take a boat from Stena Line from Hoek van Holland

cyles you can rent in The Hague: www.fietsverhuurzuidholland.nl
it;s in de keizerstraat in Scheveningen

Enjoy your stay

David
www.davidsamsonart.com