Glass on roads - whose responsibility?

Cycotic

Glass on roads - whose responsibility?

Postby Cycotic » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:14 pm

With the warm summer evenings comes the increase in broken bottles littering the streets. I rode between Brighton and Henley Beach last weekend and was horrified at the amount of broken glass in the bike lanes. Even in the hills on my usual rides there has been a definite increase in broken glass. It got me wondering, who would be responsible for cleaning it up?

First thought is that it's a local council issue. Has anyone had success reporting broken glass to a local council? Once they know of the problem, is it a 'public health and safety' issue for them, or do they treat you like a time-waster?

Dr_Mutley

Re: Glass on roads - whose responsibility?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:37 pm

i would be interested in hearing the responses to this as have thought much the same.... guess an email shot off to bikeSA would give good results....
i concur with the amount of glass littered around at the moment, as in the last 2 weeks it is amazing how much glass there is on the roads etc.... i have had 5 punctures in the last 2 weeks (2 on my last flagstaff hil to outer harbor ride), compared with 1 in a few months....

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:36 pm

If the glass is on a major road then it becomes the responsibility of the main roads department in your state. However, if the glass is on a back street, or a street maintained by your local government (council) then it is their responsibility.

I usually ring main roads first and tell them the street. They can then say whether or not it is a council street or a one of theirs. If you explain that there is heaps and heaps and heaps of rubbish including glass on the road, they usually get around to cleaning it up within a week or os.

The broken glass is an occupational health and safety (OH&S) issue because someone could cut their feet and develop an infection. Then a compensation claim could be made to recover damages.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:54 pm

You can also complain about rocks on the road as it can flick up off a car or another cyclist and hit someone in the face :|
Same goes with metal and others

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Colin_T wrote:
The broken glass is an occupational health and safety (OH&S) issue because someone could cut their feet and develop an infection. Then a compensation claim could be made to recover damages.
My understanding is that OHS is an internal issue for employees, hence the Occupational in the title.
Public liability covers the other external stuff.
reporting it to a council should see it attended to in a reasonable time, but still doesn't mean that they are totally responsible for every little bit of stuff on the road.
if it's ACC and you report it a pathway request is generated that electronically logged and recurs until it's closed off by a TL, which makes them the responsible person.You should ask for and recieve a reciept type number specific to your complaint if you ask.
it also helps to leave your contact details as some of the stuff handed on is so vague as to location or problem that a quick call can help to get it sorted faster.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:20 pm

The RTA are generally responsible for highways or 'classified' roads. Council are responsible for 99% of the rest.
Council's will respond quickly if there is any chance of them being liable for an accident, incident or injury.
Generally, this will mean a street-sweeper will be sent out to the site - which will pick up glass, rocks or any small loose impediments.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:10 pm

What we need is less idiots smashing bottles on the road (or anywhere really) to begin with...
*** insert signature here ***

shiv

Postby shiv » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:08 pm

We just need less idiots full stop! The world is littered with them these days and the number appears to be growing

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 pm

shiv wrote:We just need less idiots full stop! The world is littered with them these days and the number appears to be growing
Sadly, as much as I hate to say it, the concentration of idiots in Australia is very high compared to the rest of the world (the parts I"ve seen anyway).

shiv

Postby shiv » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Cinder wrote:
shiv wrote:We just need less idiots full stop! The world is littered with them these days and the number appears to be growing
Sadly, as much as I hate to say it, the concentration of idiots in Australia is very high compared to the rest of the world (the parts I"ve seen anyway).
Agreed. Why is it that a developed country has so many more idiots then non developed countries? Why is common sense such a rarity these days?

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:11 pm

It's like guns(murder) who do you blame?
The man who makes the gun?
The man who makes the bullet?
The nut behind the bolt?
Cheers,
George.

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:03 am

Cinder wrote:
Sadly, as much as I hate to say it, the concentration of idiots in Australia is very high compared to the rest of the world (the parts I’ve seen anyway).
It’s all the alcohol they drink when growing up and when they are adults. The country is full of alcoholics, many of them young males aged between 15 & 50. And unfortunately the problem is getting worse due to the availability of alcohol. You can get it at any shopping centre these days including Woolies and Coles. At least years ago you had to get it from a bottle shop and they asked for id. These days you see school kids in their uniforms walking out of supermarkets with 6packs under their arms.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

bongo

Postby bongo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Colin_T wrote:
Cinder wrote:
Sadly, as much as I hate to say it, the concentration of idiots in Australia is very high compared to the rest of the world (the parts I’ve seen anyway).
It’s all the alcohol they drink when growing up and when they are adults. The country is full of alcoholics, many of them young males aged between 15 & 50. And unfortunately the problem is getting worse due to the availability of alcohol. You can get it at any shopping centre these days including Woolies and Coles. At least years ago you had to get it from a bottle shop and they asked for id. These days you see school kids in their uniforms walking out of supermarkets with 6packs under their arms.
Availability is not the problem,in central europe you can get your booze anywhere yet they dont seem to have as many problems,I believe its a generational cultural issue,that wont go away in a hurry.Look at all your local footy/cricket/social clubs where it has been accepted for years that it is ok to get ploughed after a game,mates laughed and thought it was funny.Have personally seen this at my country footy and cricket clubs.Education and continual reinforcement that boozing to extreme is not good for you is the answer,and it is going to take a long time to see the results I am afraid.As for the topic,vittoria rubino or zaffiro,two years no punctures(touch wood)plenty of glass!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:33 pm

I notice that the most common place for glass on my regular rides is under the curving overpass onto the freeway at bull creek station on the drivers side. It's got so regular that I now carry a small pan and brush.

My concern is that, by it's location, I believe that motorists toss there bottles out of the moving car there. So be cautious around such locations that are tempting for rubbish disposal. And certainly wear those helmets.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

shiv

Postby shiv » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:51 am

+1 for Vittoria rubino. I just removed one off the rear of my bike today, had it on for a year (dunno how many ks but a fair few) and not a single puncture. Also withstood plenty of ks on the trainer to the point it is almost squared off. Not a bad tyre

Also Ive played, and still play, at local footy and cricket clubs and spent the majority of my life at country clubs, and I dont see them as the problem. Its the non sporting types that seem to give more grief. Dare I say it, the bogans of our world

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 am

Availability is not the problem,in central europe you can get your booze anywhere yet they dont seem to have as many problems,I believe its a generational cultural issue,that wont go away in a hurry.Look at all your local footy/cricket/social clubs where it has been accepted for years that it is ok to get ploughed after a game,mates laughed and thought it was funny.Have personally seen this at my country footy and cricket clubs.Education and continual reinforcement that boozing to extreme is not good for you is the answer,and it is going to take a long time to see the results I am afraid.As for the topic,vittoria rubino or zaffiro,two years no punctures(touch wood)plenty of glass!

Yeah, I've just come back from Germany where you can get booze anywhere, it would be quicker to explain where you can't get alcohol, here is a list...

1 - ...

Anyway, sadly, this is a problem we have to deal with (as in cyclists vs broken glass & bogans).

So far, the Continental Travelcontatcs on my MTB come A to Ber are yet to let me down....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi

With the drink bottles depository scheme, do those in SA feel that they get less glass on the roads? It is put forward as a justification for a similar scheme here in the West.

Andrew

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

With the drink bottles depository scheme, do those in SA feel that they get less glass on the roads? It is put forward as a justification for a similar scheme here in the West.

Andrew
It definitely helps with litter(cans bottles,FUIC* containers)
Certainly made a noticeable difference as to the volume I collect as a council gardener whn it recently raised from 5 to 10 cents.You will never stop the dopy drunk dude or kids from chucking their bottles and stuff, but this certainly gives an incentive for someone to pick it up before it does get squashed or broken from a stray boot or car wheel.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:03 am

Andrew
with the amount of glass on the road i couldnt imagine the recycling incentive with the 5c refund has made any difference whatsoever... general rubbish in the community yes, glass on roads, no....

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:55 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:

Andrew
with the amount of glass on the road i couldnt imagine the recycling incentive with the 5c refund has made any difference whatsoever... general rubbish in the community yes, glass on roads, no....
Take it away though, and I reckon it's be a whole lot worse. :|

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 am

brauluver wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:

Andrew
Take it away though, and I reckon it's be a whole lot worse. :|
u think there would be less glass on the roads? possibly i guess, but from where i see it, the glass mainly comes from cars, pissed idiots, teenagers, and idiots throwing things from cars, neither of which/whom seem to be influenced much by 5c.... its however a great thing for general rubbish in the community...

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:43 am

Dr_Mutley wrote: u think there would be less glass on the roads? possibly i guess, but from where i see it, the glass mainly comes from cars, pissed idiots, teenagers, and idiots throwing things from cars, neither of which/whom seem to be influenced much by 5c.... its however a great thing for general rubbish in the community...
It's very difficult to assess realistically as I've never ridden on interstate roads or in capital cities.Anecdotally it seems that it's eastern states forum members who talk more about glass related punctures than most on this forum which kind of helps form my unscientific judgement :oops: .In general litter terms and in the routes I ride I'd have to say that glass is at a minimum,and doesn't really cause me as much grief as branches/leaf debris, gravel/sand from truck loads and debris from car accidents as well as the oil and kitty litter mix.All of those things are far more common for me.75 k's of riding this morning from golden grove rd along lower ntheast, newton rd green hill, portrush and I only saw the remains of one well pulverised bottle on the track up to eagle on the hill.Not bad considering it's the festive season and the first day after the w/end.
What areas are you fellas finding the worst, is it a southern suburbs thing?
Must admit I hav'nt ridden through the outposts in the North either(salisbury Elizabeth and beyond)but imagine the higher ratio of Commodores and bogans could possibly effect the glass scenario.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:55 am

brauluver wrote:Must admit I hav'nt ridden through the outposts in the North either(salisbury Elizabeth and beyond)but imagine the higher ratio of Commodores and bogans could possibly effect the glass scenario.
My commute takes me through Salisbury and Elizabeth and I can't remember the last time I saw any broken glass. Lots of other rubbish, sure, but not glass.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Biffidus wrote:
brauluver wrote:Must admit I hav'nt ridden through the outposts in the North either(salisbury Elizabeth and beyond)but imagine the higher ratio of Commodores and bogans could possibly effect the glass scenario.
My commute takes me through Salisbury and Elizabeth and I can't remember the last time I saw any broken glass. Lots of other rubbish, sure, but not glass.
brau: u mite be right and it may be just a southern thing atm.... i rode from flaggy, thru hallett cove then up along the coast to the roundabout at outer harbor, and back yesterday... i was amazed i didnt puncture given the amount of glass there was south... i rode a short section on lonsdale hwy and found a 100m stretch of it... having said that the coast section from semaphore to OH is ok heading out, but coming back, especially closer to semaphore is rife with glass atm...

interestingly, i emailed BikeSA on the 17th with a question about whos responsibility it is regarding hazards and glass, witht any reply so far. email was directed to: office@bikesa.asn.au as per here: http://www.bikesa.asn.au/servlet/Web?s= ... SA_Contact
must be off to xmas early....

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:00 pm

resent my original email and received a prompt response minutes ago....

Quoted Email:
Harry,
Yes would suggest DRT (Dept Roads & Transport) in the first instance & also your local council (& even letting your local MP know)
We are also looking at a website in the future where people can upload/mark danger spots & the councils/DRT can action accordingly.

Kind regards
Chris Hutchinson
Administration and Registration Liason
BICYCLE SA
111 Franklin Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
t 08-8168-9999
f 08-8168-9988
office@bikesa.asn.au