Powertap Drama's

toolonglegs

Powertap Drama's

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:26 pm

So what would you do...powertap is off to the UK yet again.3rd time lucky :| .Cost's so far have been about 100 euros in postage.Had it 8 months now...at least 6 weeks of that has been away been fixed.At this time of year it will take at least 3-4 weeks to get it back.
So would you ask for your money back? (is there actually a chance of that)...but then would have to go with SRM if I want to keep training with power.
Ask for postage to be reimbursed and try your luck?.
After all we are talking about 1200 euros of equipment here!.Service in the UK has been very helpful but I suppose I need to talk with Saris in the US.

RobRollin

Re: Powertap Drama's

Postby RobRollin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:37 am

I think at the least you should ask for possible reimbursement of postage. Document the dates and how much postage you have spent and see what they say, alternatively ask for a complete new unit? presumably it is under warranty. With 3 different problems then you could ask for a replacement unit.

Good luck with it!

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:42 am

So what's the drama? Electronic fault or another fatigue failure under your legs?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:15 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Service in the UK has been very helpful but I suppose I need to talk with Saris in the US.
If it's not fixing the problem, then the service might be friendly but is it actually helpful?

Document what you've been through and tell both Saris and your supplier. I would be looking for a warranty replacement.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:33 pm

From what the guy in UK tells me he replaces the entire torque hub each time...as far as I know that is pretty much an entire new electronics package.Also had the battery holder replaced last time.I have two heads so I know it is the hub.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:19 am

Bike shop down the other end of town is very unimpressed with the ANT+ PT's. They have pulled 'several' out to send back to the US for warranty work. My Comp now has 2,616 Km without a fault. I run it up on the Kinetic occasionally to check the calibration, and it all seems good.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:17 am

this is what it did...locked up signal then after the reset nothing.Weird thou because if you walk away from the hub with the head after 15 feet or so(with both heads) you get the hub search display.So the hub is transmitting something.But if you try and relearn the hub it won't register.Oh well off in the mail on Saturday...won't get in back at this time of year for a while!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:59 am

My PowerTap is playing up now.... the batteries in the hub need replacing. :P

Took me ages to find the explanation for why the transmission icon was flashing. I reckon I've put less than 110 hours on the hub, and the batteries are supposed to last for 250 - 300.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:19 pm

twizzle wrote:My PowerTap is playing up now.... the batteries in the hub need replacing. :P

Took me ages to find the explanation for why the transmission icon was flashing. I reckon I've put less than 110 hours on the hub, and the batteries are supposed to last for 250 - 300.
Some batteries are better than others.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:07 pm

I checked the batteries on my expensive tester/charger... and they both came in at 70% charge. :? I'd already bought replacements, so I chucked them in and I'll see what they get down to before the icon starts flashing again.

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 am

Mine is playing up as well.
Worked fine for two weeks and now no reading on power, speed. only cadence which is a seperate pick up.

Anyone had this problem before?

Alex, do you know of a local bike shop that can look at these PT's as I brought this from Comp/cyclist and am not keen on sending it all the way back to the States?

Grant

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:14 am

Grant W wrote:Mine is playing up as well.
Worked fine for two weeks and now no reading on power, speed. only cadence which is a seperate pick up.

Anyone had this problem before?

Alex, do you know of a local bike shop that can look at these PT's as I brought this from Comp/cyclist and am not keen on sending it all the way back to the States?

Grant
No, but what sort of batteries are people using? Silver Oxide usually better than alkaline.

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:51 pm

toolonglegs wrote:So what would you do...powertap is off to the UK yet again.3rd time lucky :| .Cost's so far have been about 100 euros in postage.Had it 8 months now...at least 6 weeks of that has been away been fixed.At this time of year it will take at least 3-4 weeks to get it back.
So would you ask for your money back? (is there actually a chance of that)...but then would have to go with SRM if I want to keep training with power.
Ask for postage to be reimbursed and try your luck?.
After all we are talking about 1200 euros of equipment here!.Service in the UK has been very helpful but I suppose I need to talk with Saris in the US.
Hopefully you've got a resolution by now but your story is similar to that recalled by my LBS owner back in the UK recently
Seems either you get a good one or get stuck in a loop of continual returning them for service. One client has apparently had his replaced 5 times before he got one that worked for a reasonable period of time. Others have had similar problems.
Given the experience of others he purchased an SRM unit for his own use.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Yeah no word yet...warranty dept is off till tommorow in the UK (and who knows with the weather at the moment!).Haven't tried US yet,sent an email but not really surprised to get no answer.Timing is the problem ringing.
We have 30 cms snow outside so I tried to get on the trainer...nope.Indoor training with a powertap is so much easier!.

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:29 pm

My folks are in the UK and say the weather is slightly improving up to almost 0degC :lol:

Good luck with your Powertap but if not I hope you still have that contact to get some 'cheap' SRM gear.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Yep still have the contact...how did you win on the weekend and get back to Sydney so quick?... :D .Better tell your fan's off as well!...he broke a rib :shock: .

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:40 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yep still have the contact...how did you win on the weekend and get back to Sydney so quick?... :D .Better tell your fan's off as well!...he broke a rib :shock: .
Whoooops. They were only meant to throw some abuse, frites and Trappist at him, not knock him off the bike! :oops:

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Im tempted to buy a Wireless Powertap with the USD so strong, but im just wary of the warranty factor. Prices are very decent from US / UK, but if it breaks im in strife trying to send it back. Crazy prices at the moment though, can get a cycleops powertap pro + with the Ant etc.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:55 pm

snedden9485 wrote:Im tempted to buy a Wireless Powertap with the USD so strong, but im just wary of the warranty factor. Prices are very decent from US / UK, but if it breaks im in strife trying to send it back. Crazy prices at the moment though, can get a cycleops powertap pro + with the Ant etc.
Yep,
Just brought the dura ace Di2 electronic shifting kit and dura ace crank set for $2800, which is cheap as chips but the warranty is a factor. Little chance of the cranks breaking i'm more concerned with the Di2's, local shimano rep recons they are really reliable though. Fingers crossed.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm

I will break your DuraAce cranks for you :D ...still check mine for cracks monthly after the last time.
Snedden,I think I got a bit of a lemon...every one else here seems to be doing OK with theirs.Just my luck!.

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Yeh i know, its very tempting with the AUD at the moment. Just not sure if its more than i need at the moment, i know itl be a great training aid, but spending money on getting to races etc is likely to be more beneficial for me in the long run.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

smitsone

Postby smitsone » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Not sure if you have checked out http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/ free postage to Aus and and extra 17.5% off the SL model at present !

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Cheaper from ExcelSports methinks.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Talked to the guy fixing it yesterday...he is a bit stumped I think as he says that he puts a whole new torque tube in each time (which he says is basically everything electronic)...I have also had a new battery pack,bearings and free wheel body last time...he also said that the new SL+ like mine have been much better than the earlier model and they have no problems :roll: ...should have it back next week.

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Mystic Meg sees a set of SRM cranks in your future... :lol: