NzO 12 hour

Bnej

NzO 12 hour

Postby Bnej » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:20 pm

Anyone going to be in it? I'm going to see if I can join with a couple of people I know are going, failing that I might try it as a solo just to see how far I can go.

http://www.brightorangeevents.com/BOE_12_Main.htm

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:39 pm

Not sure yet, but will probably turn up to help out the WSMTB Crew.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Okay I think I'd like to find someone to ride with to do this. The locals I know have already booked their team, and while I think I can ride 6 or 8 hours I'm not sure I can do 12. I'm quite capable of pushing myself but I don't know what my limits of endurance are.

Can anyone tell me about the first 12 hour race they did and what sort of preparation they had before hand?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:45 pm

I did my first (and only) 12 hour as part of a 3 person team. No special preparations - just lots of MTB riding (in other words, having fun ....).

Keep your energy levels up during the race by consuming everyday, low GI foods like pasta, bread, potatoes etc and also keep your electrolytes up (I use Endurolyte capsules, but go with what works for you). And water - lots of water!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:27 pm

I'm waiting for the all clear (from my doctor) to take part in what looks like a fun event.

toolonglegs

Re: NzO 12 hour

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Bnej wrote:Anyone going to be in it? I'm going to see if I can join with a couple of people I know are going, failing that I might try it as a solo just to see how far I can go.

http://www.brightorangeevents.com/BOE_12_Main.htm
Might be keen... 2 or probaly 3 man,as long as you don't want to win.Way out of shape!.But my mate who can't turn up till 2'ish is an elite rider so he will make up for my lose :wink: .

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Been down today and did a lap covering a good part of the course, + some of the 4 hour course.

Don't know if I'm game to enter now, some of it's a bit beyond my ability, though I'm told the 12 hour course is not usually as technical. Could do 95% of the lap no trouble, just shied at a couple of the nasty little surprises on there.

Still got 2 weeks to make up my mind though!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:12 am

I haven't been out there for many years...but the 12 hour course is never as hard as the x-country course...has to be rideable for the masses and at night.Unless it's wet then will be a different kettle of fish.The last time I did the 12hour it started raining really heavy about 5pm and 50% at least pulled out,includng me.Last year they helicoptered someone out...the joys of mtb...still safer than sydney roads!!!!

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Doing this event for the first time was a lot of fun. I killed the uphills but was swarmed on the downhills courtesy of inexperience on a mtb on trails. I still prefer my road bike, but it was a nice change.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:42 pm

KillerHeadWind wrote:Doing this event for the first time was a lot of fun. I killed the uphills but was swarmed on the downhills courtesy of inexperience on a mtb on trails. I still prefer my road bike, but it was a nice change.
How was the weather?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:29 pm

I was going to go and have a look, but it was cold and wet so I gave it a miss.

The circuit is close to where I work so I'm going to get some more practice before I actually enter an event there.

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:28 pm

The weather wasn't too bad .... an odd shower here and there. Most of the rain fell Friday night. The worst part about it was the cold.