Eating before morning rides

Max

Re: Eating before morning rides

Postby Max » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:15 pm

I need to eat within 30 minutes of waking up. If I leave it any longer than that, I feel dizzy and sick. I've found that my choice of breakfast really affects my performance on my morning rides. If I eat a bowl of baked beans with toast, or a banana with peanut butter toast, I generally do pretty well. :) If I eat corn flakes or weetbix, I can be guaranteed a bonk 10Km in :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Max wrote:I need to eat within 30 minutes of waking up. If I leave it any longer than that, I feel dizzy and sick. I've found that my choice of breakfast really affects my performance on my morning rides. If I eat a bowl of baked beans with toast, or a banana with peanut butter toast, I generally do pretty well. :) If I eat corn flakes or weetbix, I can be guaranteed a bonk 10Km in :(

Max
Note.....bonks are NEVER guaranteed. :D :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Max

Postby Max » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:Note.....bonks are NEVER guaranteed. :D :D
LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:13 pm

For short weekday morning rides (~30 km) I eat a banana 30 mins before leaving, mainly just to stop my stomach complaining that its empty. I could ride without eating anything but I usually wake up hungry, so putting something in stomach makes me feel more comfortable. Upon returning I drink an Up and Go Energise and then a bowl of cereal when I get to work.

On weekends I get up at least 90 mins before setting off on a long ride so I can eat a full breakfast. In doing this I find that I only need to eat on the bike for rides longer that 2 hrs. If I plan to ride longer than two hours I start to eat in the first hour and continue to eat small amounts of food every 30 mins. Again, Up and Go Energies always follows immediately after finishing a long ride and then something more substantial (chicken sandwich for example) an hour later.