Commuter world, post your ride here.

hoboct

Re: Great Commuter Bikes

Postby hoboct » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Fletcher wrote:Love that Ti commuter. Can totally understand why you ride it the most. Ti is fantastic frame material. Are you tempted to put some carbon forks on it, or would that make it vulnerable to monsoons?
I was considering adding a carbon fork to the Ti bike - but figured there wasn't much point going for weight savings on something already heavier than usual due to the rack/panniers and luggage, and the steel fork on it now is perfectly comfortable. If it's a light no-luggage ride I'm after, may as well just take the road bike...

I'm never going to live that monsoon comment down :lol: The Moose showed me a weatherproof bike was possible, but brought with it compromises I wasn't prepared to deal with for an all-year dirt road commuter. It was a great problem solving experience (lots of manufacturer instructions were broken, and needed workarounds, in the process of keeping everything smooth yet watertight), and for that reason don't regret it for a moment.
Peter
Steel may be real, but even both sides of the Cold War agreed titanium is better

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:47 am

hoboct wrote: I'm never going to live that monsoon comment down :lol:
All's good :lol:

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:10 pm

OK i felt jelous that other people have posted pictures of there bike's so I decided to take a photo of mine.
Ok what makes my bike a commuter
- heavy duty wheels (double wall)
- Smart (automatic) Lockout Suspention (I would not have suspention if it was not lockout)
- Long frame so I don't hit my feet when I turn.
- mudguards I have to say these I would now consider essential

While hybrids are not the pick for many I have no trouble maintaining a good speed, Mind you with the heavy wheels it takes some time to accelerate.

BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:32 pm

beauyboy wrote:- Smart (automatic) Lockout Suspention (I would not have suspention if it was not lockout)
Hi

What do you see as being the advantage of having suspension which is locked out on your commuter? Would it be better to not have suspension at all?

Regards
Andrew

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:20 am

That is a fair point. The fact is for the majority of my ride I do not need it, hence why it is locked out. However there is three to four times on my ride where i need it to engauge(eg look at shock and you will see a grease line), hence why I need smart (automatic) lockout suspension. Eg Brisbane City Council Crossovers with there 2inche jump in concrete. :x you will hit these with an allmight thump.

Basicly the advantage.
No lose of energy on smooth surfaces(thru transfer into shock)
Reduced potential to damage front wheel rim(shock engauges when needed to)
No need to stop when I need to engauge suspenstion for a one off bump.(eg dropping off kerb)

Disadvantage.
Makes my bike heavier.

While this is all personal preferences it works for me.
I have noticed alot of Brisbane Commuters run Mountain Bikes as there commuter bikes this i my way to get a bit of both worlds. Either us Brisbane commuters are hard on our bikes or the conditions are on the hard side.

I hope this all makes sense.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:19 pm

beauyboy wrote:That is a fair point. The fact is for the majority of my ride I do not need it, hence why it is locked out. However there is three to four times on my ride where i need it to engauge(eg look at shock and you will see a grease line), hence why I need smart (automatic) lockout suspension. Eg Brisbane City Council Crossovers with there 2inche jump in concrete. :x you will hit these with an allmight thump.
Hi

Understand now. It seems you have a commute which is even worst than our northern PSP, which is considered pretty bad.

I am glad the bike works for you, which is what counts at the end of the day :)

Enjoy
Andrew

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:57 pm

MlugerBill and hoboct:
How'd you guys fit your front mudguards with your disc-brakes?
I still haven't come up with a good solution for fitting my front SKS to my Cannondale Bad Boy.
It's not as "required" as the back (which fitted easily) but it's getting close to the wetter seasons and I don't like the spray hitting my face. :P

Cheers. 8)
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Front was easy Runjikol, the eyelets are pretty low.
The rear required some creative stay bending over an hour or two to clear the calliper. Would you like some pics?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Yeah: some pic's would be great. :)
Thanks.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Righto mate, probably have them up tomorrow.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Gawd I hate imageshack, gave up after tryin' for 20 minutes to upload the first pic. :roll:

Anyhoo, here you go Runjikol, pretty self explanatory but questions are always welcome.

Cheers
Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

hoboct

Postby hoboct » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:14 pm

I have SKS Chromoplastic mudguards on my bikes, which have a different attachment to Mulger Bill's. These ones have two stays coming up from the eyelet mount, which causes more strife with disc brake calipers getting in the way. Nonetheless bending the stays is the way to go. BTW - you can bend the stays cold, I once tried getting them red-hot before bending and it doesn't really make it any easier.

Pics below of the donkey, which happened to be in the stand for a new chain/cassette...

Front end

Rear end
Peter
Steel may be real, but even both sides of the Cold War agreed titanium is better

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:37 pm

hoboct wrote:I have SKS Chromoplastic mudguards on my bikes, which have a different attachment to Mulger Bill's. These ones have two stays coming up from the eyelet mount, which causes more strife with disc brake calipers getting in the way. Nonetheless bending the stays is the way to go. BTW - you can bend the stays cold, I once tried getting them red-hot before bending and it doesn't really make it any easier.

Pics below of the donkey, which happened to be in the stand for a new chain/cassette...

Front end

Rear end
I think your bike needs a clean :lol:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

hoboct

Postby hoboct » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:25 am

It's a workhorse bike that sees a lot of dirt roads... it doesn't get cleaned :) (well except for the chain)

You should see what it looks like in winter! :oops:
Peter

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 pm

MulgerBill (Shaun) & hoboct:
Thanks for the pics.
The Bad Boy fork is a little more complicated because the eyelet is quite recessed compared to the surface of the brake-unit. Down-side of the oversize fork-section.

I've got a mate who is getting me some 25mm M4 button head bolts.
Next thing I need to find is a 40mm of 4mm inside diameter tubing, either stainless or aluminium, to use as risers.
I'll mount the SKS front stays to the top of the tube fastening the whole lot with the 25mm long M4 bolts and washers.

Bad Boy is in getting its rear wheel fixed. Had two spokes just pop on me: shearing off in the thread and the nipple falling in the rim. Tad annoying. If it happens again wheel has to be rebuilt.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Finally attempting to post a pic of my 'muter. If it fails, too bad. I seem to be utterly incapable of getting my bikejournal stats up, despite joining the club, adding my goals, adding my bikejournal name to aushiker's thread and adding all my rides so far this year. Not that it's irking me, or anything :evil:

Here goes nowt..

I opened a picasa account, uploaded pics, tried to post them, and the best I could manage after an hour of stuffing around was a red X, then a url link which happened to include my gmail address, which is not good. What a PITA. I'm giving up for the day. As he stalks off fuming...hate being defeated by stuff like that....fume....

Apologies anyone who happens to see this, it frustrated the bejeezuz out of me.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Attempt no. 3

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Fletcher wrote:Attempt no. 3

No pic Fletch, it looks like the code is flawed, but I don't know how picasa works. I'm a photobucket or cyclebucket fan.

Typical syntax runs like this...

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/download/file.php?avatar=494_1256872361.jpg[/img]
Does picasa provide a direct link? Copy Pasta and yer good to go.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Cheers MB. Think I'll do meself some homework. Soz for the big girl's blouse outburst.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 am

What's going on? I thought we had already established my bike was the best commuting bike around, therefore the thread should be dead. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:23 pm

martinjs wrote:What's going on? I thought we had already established my bike was the best commuting bike around, therefore the thread should be dead. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Martin
Given the number of k's you clocked up last year, it's a pretty sure bet that your frame is dead. You've killed it. No response, or responsiveness, left. It dead set needs replacing. :roll: :D

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Here's my rig - 1988 Cannondale ST700. Comfy, strong, reliable.

I bought her new in La Mirada, California, rode around LA for a bit, flew it to Amsterdam, and then cycled through Holland, Belgium, and down into Paris. She's a bit dated with a mix of Shimano 600 and Deore 3x6, but I still love her to bits. Since I've started commuting to work a bit she's received a few mods - kick stand, guards, mirrors, and new Shimano dual pivot brakes (big difference, and I still have replaced the cables).

I'm contemplating removing the downtube shifters and going the STI path. I have my eye on a Sora equipped bike that might be a suitable donor. Only thing is that it's not a triple, so maybe I'll leave the front mech as is. I'm also thinking of putting the front rack back on and moving the pannier (I only use the one) forward to better balance the bike.

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:13 pm

BIOPACE FOR THE WIN!

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Safari, how much stuff do you carry to work :shock:

Donald

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:02 pm

beauyboy wrote:Safari, how much stuff do you carry to work :shock:

Donald
Well, the rack bag is pretty empty - only has a lock, spray jacket, small toileteries bag, keys wallet etc. The anoying thing about it is that it;s not quite big enough to fit a change of clothes without jaming them in there. The pannier fits a change of clothes and pair of shoes.

I used to put everything in the pannier, but it made the bike quite pendulous, and was really noticable when out of the saddle. This way I take a bit of a weight hit with the additional bag (maybe 400-500g), but the bike is more pleasant to ride. If I had a locker at work things would be a lot easier...

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!