Do you stand up around corners?

Chaderotti

Do you stand up around corners?

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Well, do you stand when sprinting around banks? This only really counts for small velodromes as the banks on larger concrete velodromes aren't as steep.
I've never attempted to stand and sprint on the banks because of my horrible pedalling technique when I'm sprinting (not spinning at speed). Most memorable close call was when I was sprinting down the straights I had the rear wheel sliding and even the front wheel was bouncing into the air :shock: . And for that to happen on the banks almost certainly means some nasty bruises and burns :shock:
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

alchemist

Re: Do you stand up around corners?

Postby alchemist » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 pm

Most definitely

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 pm

The cornering makes no difference at all, as to whether you are standing or sitting
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fats

Postby fats » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:23 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The cornering makes no difference at all, as to whether you are standing or sitting
I'd like to agree with you, but I honestly have trouble standing on a sprint around the bends. Call it my head or lack of experience but I still only get 1/3 of the way around before I sit down. I am getting closer to going all the way but I haven't yet. :oops:
I know what your saying Chaderotti

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:27 pm

It all has to do with, whether you are wound up to your maximum flow rate.if you have reached the point, where you can increase your speed without real effort,then you should be back in your saddle.if as you say,you are having trouble with smoothness,then you should spend more time on a velodrome practicing your technique. :idea:

It is like,when you come into the bend, and hit the apex,that is the point to drive even harder, as this will give you a huge advantage as you come onto the straight. :wink: If you have a fear of the banks, you will always be at a disadvantage, on a velodrome :!:

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:34 pm

If we are talking, match race sprinting?
You could be (out of your seat)-
1. Foxing, in the lead, with the ability to accelerate (up or down) to
block an opponent.
2. Slowing, in the lead, to block an opponent, to the point of balancing (on the bank)
3. Preparing to accelerate down the bank, to gain momentum, from the back position,
to then come under, and take the opponent up to the fence, to block his progress.
4. Just straight accelerating off the front, leading up to the 200m mark.
There are many more scenarios... if I think I understand what you are asking?
Bike control is what it is ALL about.
FME- these thoughts may help?
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

fats

Postby fats » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:09 pm

At the risk of hijacking Chaderotti's thread...
I would consider brentono's examples 1,2 and 3 quite advanced skill's learnt through years of experience. Example 4 is where I'd like to be and understand that bike control is the key. Smooth and balanced with complete confidence in the bike yeah?
I say that, as if I get out of the saddle and sprint I can get a fair bit of twitch through the head stem from the change of weight distribution. Not uncontrollable or dangerous, just a bit disconcerting enough to add to the mind games. I suppose a 110kg (honest!) bulk through an average alluminium frame would encourage this. Again smoothness is the key for me.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Even spinning at speed I can't stand.
I'll try it out next track session.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Chaderotti, its a skill well worth learning, as at times you may wish to attack mid corner

Fats, now I know when to attack when your sucking my wheel :) Jokes aside, what frame are you running? I recall Hinz'e (who is similar weight to you) saying that his alloy frame was a bit flexy
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fats

Postby fats » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:31 am

I made it 3/4 of the way around in my 1 lap screamer last night. Not sure why I didn't go all the way but I'm nearly there. The things you do to try and catch Alchemist!

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:18 am

You've got one more chance this arvo :P ...

Less confident of the win with Brian in there.

fats

Postby fats » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:01 am

I think I've gained a lot more confidence over the past week from riding the steep boards of DGV so much which is great. The only time I get concerned though is when the pace drops to around 25kph which can sometimes happen in D grade. Thats when I go round.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm

I am jealous of you blokes that have ridden on a board velodrome. :cry: Left a lot of skin on asphalt ones though. :lol:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

fats

Postby fats » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:07 pm

We're very lucky here in Sydney Foo. We were scheduled to have round 4 of the Christmas Carnival at the outdoor Tempe velodrome, but when we arrived it started pouring down so we all just jumped in the cars and drove 15km to Dunc Gray and only lost 45min. How goods that.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:13 pm

That's what I call a real bargain Fats. Hope they didn't charge you more, for the entry fees? :wink:
Goal 6000km