Any info on the Gateway Bridge Cycle Path?

DionM

Any info on the Gateway Bridge Cycle Path?

Postby DionM » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 pm

I've been digging around but can't seem to find much info?

The new bridge is set to open next year, so I imagine the cycle path will be around the same time.

I'm curious though as to how it will be accessed - does anyone know? On the Northside, will it link up with existing bikeway - such as from the Toombul - Nudgee Beach path? Or maybe from the Airport Roads? Or maybe via the Golf Club road or something like that? Where does it go on the southside? I see on the bikeway maps there isa bit of a path that goes to Lytton Road from under the existing bridge - maybe it will link up with that? Or perhaps more wishfully, to the Murrarie Recreation Grounds or Minnipi Parklands ...

I ride from Coorparoo to Virginia on my commute. If they linked it up with the Toombul - Nudgee path and Minnipi Parklands, it would be great and create a very long offroad path (albeit with a big hill in the middle).

ClownBoy

Re: Any info on the Gateway Bridge Cycle Path?

Postby ClownBoy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:50 pm

Run a search man. I was on here the other day when I heard about it for the first time.

I ran a search and found out all about it in 15 minutes.

DionM

Postby DionM » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah I know all that, but I read it and it sounded all "we plan to" and "we might do". Just wondering if anyone knows for sure what is happening.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:44 am

This is the time when you ring up Main Roads and ask where is the example of the proposed path, adding that the website said it would be up for display early last year (2009)

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

DionM

Postby DionM » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 am

Yes I have emailed Main Roads about the northern side (to the existing bike path Toombul-Nudgee), and Council about the southern side (to Minnippi) as they are the responsible entities for those parts. Documents said they would be ready for the 2010 opening of the bridge, so lets see what has really happened.

This is the site:
http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/Project ... oject.aspx

Last newsletter June 08.

DionM

Postby DionM » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Finally got a reply to one of my queries.

Looks like we will not get the full link into Nundah (Albert Bishop Park is where the crit circuit is, I think?) to begin with (funding unavailable ...) initially it will go into Lancaster Rd and they claim it will be finished by the opening of the bridge. Not bad, but I'm sure it would be much better to avoid that stretch from Ascot through Chermside and Toombul).

Waiting to hear back about the southern side works.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the status of the Gateway Bikeway North Project.

Detailed Design for the proposed Gateway Bikeway North Project is now complete. Once constructed the Gateway Bikeway Project will form a missing link in the Moreton Bay Cycleway which will provide 150km of continuous bikeway along the Moreton Bay Foreshore, stretching from Bribie Island to Redland Bay, providing a safe and convenient route for both recreational and commuting cyclists and pedestrians. The Gateway Bikeway North Project will provide a link between the duplicated Gateway Bridge and the existing pedestrian and cyclist facilities in Albert Bishop Park, Nundah.
Funding is currently unavailable for the construction of the ultimate alignment of the Gateway Bikeway North Project, however stage 1 interim works will be undertaken in early 2010 in time for the proposed opening of the New Gateway Bridge. These interim works will connect the new cycle/pedestrian facility on the New Gateway Bridge to the existing Brisbane City Council Interim Moreton Bay Cycleway facilities on Landcaster Road, Hamilton, including improved cycling infrastructure on Nudgee Road and a bridge over Schulz Canal.
I trust this information has been of assistance.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks for the update.

To tell the truth I am not surprised. The Government is broke from spending to much money on road (vote) projects and not enought on things for a real future.

I will be interesting to here what the answer will be for the Southern Side.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

DionM

Postby DionM » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:33 am

From BCC:

So looks like the northern side will be done in May, and the southern side in June. Sounds like the southern side will be the 'full' version all the way to Murarrie Recreation Reserve and Lytton Rd bikeways, so kudos to the BCC for doing what it promised.
Thank you for contacting Brisbane City Council regarding the bikeway connection from the southern side of the Gateway Bridge to the Murarrie Recreation Reserve.

The Queensland Government is currently constructing a bikeway as part of the Gateway Motorway Upgrade which is due for completion in May 2010. Subsequently, Brisbane City Council is constructing two bikeway projects at Lytton Road and Queensport Road to link existing bikeways at Murarrie Recreation Reserve and Lytton Road, at the Metroplex on Gateway site.

The bike lane you refer to along Queensport Road will connect the Gateway South bikeway to the Murarrie Recreation Reserve and is scheduled for completion in June 2010.

I trust this information is of assistance and thank you for your interest in these projects.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 pm

just a bit of an update: on my way home from work the other day I noticed what looks to be the bikepath running down the side of the new bit of the motorway. Looks like it just dumps out on to KSD though. At least it's nice and wide.

gordy

Postby gordy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Word from inside says the bikeway will be open on May 19.

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Wed May 19, 2010 11:17 am

Anyone been to the opening ceremony last weekend? Are there bikepath connections on either end of it? Is it open for cyclists already?

It may be a nice option for my "slightly extended commute"...

DionM

Postby DionM » Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 pm

This page shows the northside of the river plans:
http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/Project ... -link.aspx (link to pdf file shows the staging).

This is the only info I can find for the southside links at this stage.
http://south-east-advertiser.whereilive ... -murrarie/

I'm wondering how to get from Minnippi parklands to the bridge. Seems you will have to go back to the Creek Rd / Lytton Rd junction then into the industrial park, then loop around under the bridge; and use a combination of paths and on-road to get from parklands to the bridge. Disappointing they didn't put the bikeway beside the roadway like they do with the SE Freeway, as the parklands are right next to the gateway.

rsea

Postby rsea » Wed May 19, 2010 8:45 pm

Their doesn't appear to be a map as such yet

This is interesting
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/l ... 0-2010.pdf

Seems odd that they've done the Bikeway on Garret st and now they're doing Queensport / Lytton as well

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 am

Went there this morning - couldn't find the ramp entrance (though it didn't look open anyway - there was a van parked in the bikeway halfway up on the bridge and people working). The bikeway looks fantastic - will definitely use it when it opens.

Riding on the Kingsfordsmith drive is not much fun though - need to find an alternative route.

DionM

Postby DionM » Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 am

RepcoMonaco wrote:Went there this morning - couldn't find the ramp entrance (though it didn't look open anyway - there was a van parked in the bikeway halfway up on the bridge and people working). The bikeway looks fantastic - will definitely use it when it opens.

Riding on the Kingsfordsmith drive is not much fun though - need to find an alternative route.
What about the route on the PDF above? According to that you should be able to take a back way across to Albion (not a bikeway, but backroads). Or does that not exist either?

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 am

DionM wrote:What about the route on the PDF above? According to that you should be able to take a back way across to Albion (not a bikeway, but backroads). Or does that not exist either?
Do you mean the route marked Zillman Road on that map (the green one)? I believe it goes to Toombul, not to Albion. Going Albion (where I live) - Toombul - Zillman rd may be an option but it adds a few extra kms (which is not such a bad thing by itself :) )

Google maps shows lots of other possible routes too... some of them should be quiet enough for a pleasant ride.

DionM

Postby DionM » Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 am

RepcoMonaco wrote:
DionM wrote:What about the route on the PDF above? According to that you should be able to take a back way across to Albion (not a bikeway, but backroads). Or does that not exist either?
Do you mean the route marked Zillman Road on that map (the green one)? I believe it goes to Toombul, not to Albion. Going Albion (where I live) - Toombul - Zillman rd may be an option but it adds a few extra kms (which is not such a bad thing by itself :) )

Google maps shows lots of other possible routes too... some of them should be quiet enough for a pleasant ride.
Taking the light blue dotted, then orange (Stage 1) then green (existing on-road bikeway) route from the bridge to Ascot (and yes sorry, I meant Ascot, not Albion) :) Just a short hop on KSD. Until they build Stage 1B (dark blue).

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu May 20, 2010 7:55 pm

RepcoMonaco wrote: Going Albion (where I live) - Toombul - Zillman rd may be an option but it adds a few extra kms (which is not such a bad thing by itself :) )
if you turn right at schneider rd (over the bridge), then turn right and hook down the little road parallel to the bridge back the way you came (toward the tracks) there's a back road (lamington av) that ends under the bridge, you can follow that back to nudgee rd - would leave you with only a few hundred metres on KSD. Only trouble is:

a) there's an unsealed section
b) there's a fence with a gate in it that might get locked sometimes (it's always been open when I've been there though)

(personally though I just ride on KSD, it's not that bad, though I do try and minimise my time on there)

DionM

Postby DionM » Thu May 20, 2010 8:18 pm

So do we think the bikeway will open on the weekend (which is when cars will start using the new bridge)?

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu May 20, 2010 9:24 pm

DionM wrote:So do we think the bikeway will open on the weekend (which is when cars will start using the new bridge)?
Not going to hold my breath..... but I'll keep a watch on the fence they have set up on the KSD entrance.

hopefully though, wouldn't mind a look, and it (might) even be a reasonable way for me to ride to work (2k longer, but maybe quieter)....

rsea

Postby rsea » Thu May 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Not looking good for this weekend

Q8: Is there pedestrian and cycle access on the new Gateway Bridge?
The new Gateway Bridge features a 4.25m shared pedestrian and cycle path with
four viewing platforms (rest stops) that offer views east to Moreton Bay.
Construction and fit-out of the new shared pathway is progressing and it is
expected to be opened by late June 2010. For further information a community
notice will be available on the project website shortly.

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au ... 001788.pdf

DionM

Postby DionM » Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Bummer. I was thinking of giving it a whirl.

rsea

Postby rsea » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 am

Same. I think I'll still go for a cruise past and see where it's up to

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri May 21, 2010 11:50 am

I cycle-commute from Mt Gravatt to the Airport precinct, so am really looking forward to this path opening!!

However - I do catch the Great Circle Line bus once a week (or when it rains), and have been intently watching the progress of the path each time I cross..... On the southern side - the bike path connection from the end of the new Gateway to Lytton Rd still has about 100m of construction to go (its still just a dirt trench - at least it has some boxing ready for concrete pour....). So I think we are still a couple of weeks away (at least!).....

Have seen though all the bike path works on Viola St (sp?), and that looks like its all done...... :D

Someone mentioned acesses earlier from MInnippi Parklands?? As you ride back down Wynnum Rd, you don't have to go all the way to Creek Rd. You'll be able to cut through the bike path at Murarrie Rec Reserve (where the cycling crit track is), which will take you up Queensport Rd. Queensport Rd has nice wide onroad bike shoulders newly marked, which look great... :D

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

DionM

Postby DionM » Fri May 21, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Abby,

What's the route you plan to take from Mt Gravatt to the bridge?

I'm at Coorparoo (and work at Virginia) so I'm also thinking of the Gateway (as an alternative to going via the city).