Sigma 1606L Bike Computer Prob

julsian

Sigma 1606L Bike Computer Prob

Postby julsian » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:19 am

Bought a 1606L Sigma Bike computer the other day with the optional cadence doodah. All good except the thing never shows me an average speed. Shows Trip Time increasing and Trip Distance increasing but there is no average speed data and no arrows to show me that i'm going slower or faster than the average.
Any clues as to what I need to change/adjust on the computer in order to get the average speed working? It always sits on 0.000.
It really is quite bizarre.
Thanks in advance !

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:23 am

Don't quote me on this, but one of my speedos requires that the timing mode be turned on for the average speed to work. Look in the manual and see if there is an option for enabling "ride time" or something to that affect.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:30 am

There's sure to be some obscure piece of text buried within the manual that makes it all perfectly clear. I know that's of no comfort to you, but it's the way of things designed by nerds who never have to use the bloody things (I suffer from a Polar)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:50 am

There is an option in the manual for timer and activate time. If it's like my speedo, one of these needs to be activated for the average speed to work. Unfortunately the manual for the Sigma doesn't state how to get the average speed to work.

Mine is a different brand, shows ride time, but if the timer isn't enabled the average speed doesn't work. It might be something similar in your case.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:11 am

No idea I'm afraid.

My 1606L DTS worked fine out of the box, except for the bloody cadence magnet. Praise be to MacGuyver :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Matty

Postby Matty » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Sounds very odd, like Shaun's, mine worked fine out of the box. You shouldn't need to turn on the timing mode to get it to show average speed. Is it showing your instantaneous speed properly at the moment?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:58 am

G'day

I have just had a look at mine and went through the settings menu. Nothing there to "turn-on" so to speak. Me thinks you have a faulty unit.

Regards
Andrew

beebleb

Postby beebleb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:52 am

Yup. Sounds dodgy to me, I've never had a problem with that.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 pm

BUMP

One of the bloody buttons fell off today :x Dunno where, but naturally enough it's the one used the most :roll:

Too late to get hold of the LBS at the time so I've emailed Sigma and I'll have a yarn with Tim tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:20 am

How does a button just "fall off"???

I'm not sure what sort of quality these things are but by the sound of this it isn't too good.

It is rare and unfortunate to have something come out faulty, they are put through pretty rigourous testing. Hope all works out.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Waiting for feedback...

Not impressed, a closer look reveals the buttons to be held in by small moulded lugs on their ends which just press into the housing. Pretty flimsy, the other three Sigmas I've had have been bloody sturdy, surviving plenty of OTBs and other stacks without a whimper. I reckon I might have snagged the edge with a glove as I've hit the light switch :?

Can't even figure out a MacGyver for it except for a paper clip :roll: Keep thinking...

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:20 pm

Now I'm thoroughly impressed :D

Got a call from the GLW at 0755 today, she just got handed a priority paid satchel from Bikecorp with a complete new head unit for the 'puter inside.
That's what I call service.

Now I gotta dig out the manual so I can programme the bloody thing.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:44 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Now I'm thoroughly impressed :D

Got a call from the GLW at 0755 today, she just got handed a priority paid satchel from Bikecorp with a complete new head unit for the 'puter inside.
That's what I call service.

Now I gotta dig out the manual so I can programme the bloody thing.

Shaun
When I had a problem with mine, I put in the data on the Sigma website and had a phone cal;l from the Bicycle Corp (Aussie agents fro Sigma) the very next morning. In the end, mine came good, but i have retained their contact details, and will happily look at Sigma for the next computer update.