Beginer Tri - What to wear

topaz

Beginer Tri - What to wear

Postby topaz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:40 am

I am looking at doing to beginner tri's in this year but dont know what to wear?

I know a tri suit would be the obvious thing but at this stage I cannot really justify spending $100 on something that I might not get a lot of wear out of.
I have heard that some people wear compression shorts so I was thinking about ordering a pair of http://www.this link is broken/p/triathlon/10/ ... 360038105/ with my next wiggle oder?
I know you can get tri shorts but the look a bit short on the length side (being over 6ft4 - I dont look good in short shorts) so if anybody has any recommendations for longer length shorts that would be great

Top wise I was just going to get a tri top.

tripstobaltimore

Re: Beginer Tri - What to wear

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:22 pm

If you are getting a tri top and shorts, why not just get a suit? A tri suit is a god send in the triathlons.

apv

Postby apv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Trisuit or tri top and shorts/compressions, either option at a starting price is likely to cost you $100 or higher.

topaz

Postby topaz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:18 pm

My idea behind getting shorts and separate top was that I will be able to use the shorts when I go for runs / other exercise - can use the top as another cycling jersey..but a tri suit can only really be worn when competing in tri (and I guess some training)

triduck

Postby triduck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Tri shorts should not be used for training. The design is a compromise so you can use it for all three legs. It needs to be light so it doesn't get water logged. The chamois can't be too thick or you can't run it in. Tri shorts won't stand up to long term training use.

If you are not sure if triathlon is your cup of tea, try a regular pair of shorts or bathers first. I did my first tri with bathers (rode and ran with them) and got a pair of tri shorts and a tri top later when I got more serious.
A wise man once said “The human spirit can overcome any obstacle.” That man had obviously never run a triathlon.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:53 pm

triduck wrote:Tri shorts should not be used for training. The design is a compromise so you can use it for all three legs. It needs to be light so it doesn't get water logged. The chamois can't be too thick or you can't run it in. Tri shorts won't stand up to long term training use.

If you are not sure if triathlon is your cup of tea, try a regular pair of shorts or bathers first. I did my first tri with bathers (rode and ran with them) and got a pair of tri shorts and a tri top later when I got more serious.
I have heard of people using normal compression shorts (I own a couple of pairs for run training) with speedos on underneath for additional padding on the bike. Did the job for them.

What I did was compete in the BRW Corporate. So work bought some (cheap and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!) branded tri suits for the corporate team. We all nicked them afterward.

peter.k

Postby peter.k » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

We are talking short distance here, so if you have normal cycling nicks they will be ok. I know the chamios will get wet, but we are only talking 10-12k's for the ride.

Normal cycling nicks have never bothered me. Now if I want to get into longer distances, then an investment in some proper gear is in order. A tri top would be a good idea, it's a bugger trying to pull a shirt on over a wet body. You can also use the tri top for training.

Just get out there and give it a go!

The_Fat_Controller

Postby The_Fat_Controller » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:04 am

peter.k wrote:We are talking short distance here, so if you have normal cycling nicks they will be ok. I know the chamios will get wet, but we are only talking 10-12k's for the ride.

Normal cycling nicks have never bothered me. Now if I want to get into longer distances, then an investment in some proper gear is in order. A tri top would be a good idea, it's a bugger trying to pull a shirt on over a wet body. You can also use the tri top for training.

Just get out there and give it a go!
What the difference between a tri top and a cycling top? They both have pockets, breathy material and easy on off :?:

The only difference I can pick is ones double the price of the other, it seems tri = +100% price difference