CBear - Adelaide.

CBear

CBear - Adelaide.

Postby CBear » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased a mountain bike as a way to get out and keep fit. I have cycled parts of various tracks around Adelaide as well as up and down the coast on weekends when I can. Are there any social bike groups in SA anyone can recommend please? I am not into training for the tour down under, just want to get out there, meet people (I am 40 something - female and fit) and share the tracks.

Cheers.
I used to play sports. Then I realised you can buy trophies. Now I'm good at everything.

steveoc

Re: CBear - Adelaide.

Postby steveoc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:09 pm

This is good fun :
http://www.bikesa.asn.au/servlet/Web?s= ... =560067848

Will be going up there with the MTB, some friends and the 4WD support wagon for 2 wheel fun and a bit of camping. Huge atmosphere. But thats in June.

Jan 2010 - I think 15th-17th ??? There is a big MTB festival up at Eagle Park (just above the tunnels on the freeway along the old Devils Elbow road) .. should be a big crowd of people and lots of trails from easy to deadly.

Anywhere up and down the coast is good fun. Wed mornings (some - not exactly organised) we have a small group to roll along the beach roads somewhere between Seacliff and Grange for a 'recovery ride' - slow talking pace, take in the sites, stop whenever someone wants to stop, etc. Rolling and chatting not training ! Mix of medical conditions, but same age group as yourself - Im pretty sure we all stopped counting at four-zero :) There is nothing organised for this week, due to the current holidays, but will see .....

Cycling does tend to bring on a bad case of upgradeitits before too long though - and as you take it up a few notches over time, there are very large and well organised groups that do regular runs all across town, including some killer hill climbs.

Hope that helps ...
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi

Moved this to the SA sub-forum so hopefully you get more replies.

Andrew

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Hey, if getting off road is your thing. Be sure to check out Mitcham Mountain Bike Park. Miles of progressive trails on the edge of the city, and as mentioned above "Eagle MTB Park" 15 minutes out the city.

Once you have mastered that. You will progress on to "Fox Creek".

If you rather the flat stuff. There is "Linear Park". The length of the Torrens. Or Sturt drain from Darlington to West Beach.

djc

Postby djc » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:00 pm

Adelaide mountain bike club http://www.amtbc.com run regular events(races) but have a recreation class. They also have weekly social rides and there's always members heading out to the trails. Escapegoat http://escapegoat.com.au/run tours and skills days. They are really friendly and run great events.

Eagle park has a great range of trails, great views and is well marked.

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 am

the linear park track is good for a spin, it's my regular warm up track and being devoid of cars its relaxing

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:51 pm

CBear, what type of riding you want to do?
on road, or off road?
what pace and distance do you like to ride?

BikeSA has many and varied group rides in its Rides Program, ranging from gentle to very hard.
For each ride there is a contact person. Call them and check that it is what you are looking for/capable of, then join in.

CBear

Postby CBear » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Cheers for the link, something to think about.
steveoc wrote: Wed mornings (some - not exactly organised) we have a small group to roll along the beach roads somewhere between Seacliff and Grange for a 'recovery ride' - slow talking pace, take in the sites, stop whenever someone wants to stop, etc. Rolling and chatting not training ! Mix of medical conditions, but same age group as yourself - Im pretty sure we all stopped counting at four-zero :) There is nothing organised for this week, due to the current holidays, but will see .....
I work full time Mon - Fri so riding during the week is out unfortunately.
steveoc wrote: Cycling does tend to bring on a bad case of upgradeitits before too long though - and as you take it up a few notches over time, there are very large and well organised groups that do regular runs all across town, including some killer hill climbs.
This is not my first bike, it is actually an upgrade. I have decided in the name of keeping fit and keeping the kilos off to ride more often. As I am out there more, I decided a better bike was in order than the cheap Target one I had for a while.
djc wrote:Adelaide mountain bike club http://www.amtbc.com run regular events(races) but have a recreation class.
Thanks for the link.
robbie d wrote:the linear park track is good for a spin, it's my regular warm up track and being devoid of cars its relaxing
I have ridden the track a few times now in various stages.
Clydesdale Scot wrote:CBear, what type of riding you want to do?
on road, or off road?
what pace and distance do you like to ride?
I prefer off road as riding on the roads is pretty scary. The trails through the country side are very scenic, last weekend I did Seaford to Willunga, and in April went to Riverton for a weekend and rode the trail to Clare on the first day and the second day along part of the Heysen Trail. Most weekends I slam up and down the coast between Somerton and Henley Beach. Distance is depending on the mood really. The pace varies also. I don't like to ride too slowly. When on my own I push my limits as I am doing it for cardio, those rides are between 30 mins and an hour. I ride a bit with my parents (Dad is 74 and I struggle to keep up with him) along the various tracks at least one Sunday a month. We usually do around 25ks but that is with stops waiting for Mum to catch up lol.
Clydesdale Scot wrote: BikeSA has many and varied group rides in its Rides Program, ranging from gentle to very hard.
For each ride there is a contact person. Call them and check that it is what you are looking for/capable of, then join in.
I joined BikeSA after finding their magazine in the goodie bag after completing the City to Bay fun run (I walked) and get their newsletter emailed to me.

Thanks all for the replies. I might bump into some of you (hopefully not literally) along the tracks.
I used to play sports. Then I realised you can buy trophies. Now I'm good at everything.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 pm

CBear,
good informative replies.
I ride with Bike SA's Cobwebs on Sat mornings, a 50km group ride, with average speed between 25kph for the slowest group, then 28 average, 30, 32, 34 and 36+.
It is on the road (Glenelg to Outer Harbor and back), BUT each speed group is large enough to be very visible to motorists.
It is not in the Rides Program at the moment as we are discouraging new riders until AFTER the TDU ride.
New riders AFTER the TDU are most welcome. As your fitness improves and group riding skills increase you can advance to the next fastest group.

CBear

Postby CBear » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Clydesdale Scot,

That sounds really good to me. I will wait till after the TDU and join in for sure.

I assume the route is along the beach front? I don't mind those roads as I use them myself. It's the main roads I like to avoid. Back streets and quieter roads are fine though.

Have a good one.

C.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Cobwebs route
our information guide for new group riders. I highly recommend reading it before you come along. The slowest groups tend not to rotate, so it is less daunting.
when you come look for a Clydesdale sized rider riding a Scott Addict bike.
bring money for coffee after.
I will introduce you to others.
Philip

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 am

Some of the main roads in Adelaide are far better maintained than most of the backstreets. The only way to get some confidence is to ease yourself onto them, even just a few blocks at a time instead of taking backstreets. I used to hate roads for cycling, and stuck to the bike track. Now I commute up to three times a week (hot weather prevents more) and I feel comfortable on the roads.

Cycotic

Postby Cycotic » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Hey CBear, try this one: http://www.mudsweatandgears.org.au

CBear

Postby CBear » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:28 pm

robbie d wrote:Some of the main roads in Adelaide are far better maintained than most of the backstreets. The only way to get some confidence is to ease yourself onto them, even just a few blocks at a time instead of taking backstreets. I used to hate roads for cycling, and stuck to the bike track. Now I commute up to three times a week (hot weather prevents more) and I feel comfortable on the roads.
The reason for not riding on the road is not my lack of confidence, it's more I prefer to go flat out and not have to worry about cars and traffic lights by stopping and starting so often. Also the exhaust fumes are sickening at times. If I could commute to work I would, but I have a Company car that has to be at work for the staff to use each day.
Cycotic wrote:Hey CBear, try this one: http://www.mudsweatandgears.org.au
Thanks, I have already hit this site previously and sent off an email enquiring about their rides.
Clydesdale Scot wrote: when you come look for a Clydesdale sized rider riding a Scott Addict bike.
Now the TDU has been put to bed I assume rides will start again soon? There are none in the planner from bike SA up till end of Feb.

Thanks again all for the advice and information. Hope to meet some of you out and about.

Clair.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:46 pm

we are riding each Sat, and now that the TDU ride is over new riders are welcome.
read the ride guide and come along
Philip

CBear

Postby CBear » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:we are riding each Sat, and now that the TDU ride is over new riders are welcome.
read the ride guide and come along
Philip
Will do. Cheers.

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 pm

great ride guide :)