Mt Wellington

Baldy

Mt Wellington

Postby Baldy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:17 am

Gday all,

So, lately Ive added more hills in my rides. Claremont/Fern Tree/Sandy Bay and return being the one I do the most, I go up Strickland Ave. and down Huon road mostly.

Anyway the reason I started this thread was just as a place to put my ramblings and a few photo's of the mountain and anything interesting I come across. Ive only started taking the camera on the last couple of rides,nothing real flash :roll: between the camera and the operator it gets a bit dodgy[struggles in low light/twilight]

Today being a nice mild evening I detoured from Fern Tree[after a couple of dimmys and potato cakes at the shop..lol plus a caffene fix with a coke,dont like coffee]and rode up to the Springs on the mountain, it was about 7.30pm when I got there and not too cold, well its fine going up but I know to judge the temp going up on what its gonna feel like coming down ! I only had the armwarmers in the jersey pocket because I hadnt planned going past ferntree, so I stopped there. Rode around looking for a spot to take some photos but in road shoes its a bit tricky, so just got a couple at the lookout beside the road a couple of hundred meters down the road from the springs site. Last trip up there was much colder and I just turned around and rode back down without stopping and bloody froze untill I was clear of the pinnacle road. So I'll come prepared next time, the people I saw coming down today had some kind of ear protection in a beanie/skull cap. Ive got stuff I can use its just getting to know when to take it is the part im learning.Plus I need to get some kind of lights,not to ride by but just so people can see me better on dusk, now its warming up a bit its a nice time to ride I think.

Heres some of todays photos, bit rough but you get the idea :oops: :lol: Next update will be more photos and less jibberish I promise :P

cheers
Baldy.

RobRollin

Re: Mt Wellington

Postby RobRollin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Nice looking photos thanks for sharing. Steve and I are riding Mt Wellington next Wed all things being equal. Looking forward to the ride. Hopefully we get some nice weather as you have!!

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm heading down for xmas / new-years so I'll be going up at some stage

Matt

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:03 pm

Well if you in Hobart give me a text if you want to go for a ride. Im sure I can arrange a group ride!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:56 am

I'll be down there from the 22nd Dec through until about the 6th Jan guys. I'm going to try and squeeze the bike in and would love to join you if you're going to organise a ride.

As Matt has said my plan is to ride up it at some stage, would be cool to have some company.

Any idea how long it is in kms and how tough it is ??

Nice pics Baldy and nice bike 8)
FPR Ragamuffin

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:46 am

Distance 18.9kms
Total Ascent 1175 m
Starting altitude 96 m
Finishing altitude 1271 m
Avg Gradient 6.2 m

Start point
Round About cnr Darcy and Lynton Street, rolling start
End point
Lookout on left

You can get my mobile number and I will be riding from the 22nd through to early Jan apart from when I go to Launceston for the Launcestion Int Criterium. Join us on a group ride or I'll meet you in Hobart. There's different levels, different rides, hills, flats, hill intervals, long climbs, scenic routes etc.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks for the reply Rob, sounds like a tough climb.

I've PM'd you my mobile number.
FPR Ragamuffin

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:50 pm

No worries. Ive sent you a PM as well. I believe a couple of us are riding it next Wednesday, weather conditions permitting. I will put a post in the Tas forum about it. I need to get up there before Dec 31st ;)

Rob C

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Hmm, I'd like to be in... removalists have taken the Cell away though so I'm left with a broken Repco. Hoping to pop into the Hobart bike kitchen on Sunday and borrow a wheel - in which case I may be in for Wednesday. Definitely need to hit the mountain before I depart for the north island in January!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Managed to get up there yesterday :D

Rode down from Orford into a hellish wind where I struggled to average over 20 for the 80 odd k's into Hobart. A flat on the 2nd bridge between Sorrell and Hobart made me think that it wasn't going to be my day :x Changed it and limped into Hobart where I was stung to the tune of $14 :shock: for a spare tube and got the rear tyre back up to 120psi. From there it was onward and upward, literally.

The climb was definitely more enjoyable than the ride down. Hope to post up some pictures in the New Year when I get back to Sydney.
FPR Ragamuffin

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:00 am

Thats tough! Riding from Orford and up the Mn. Well done that's a great effort. What shop did you go to? Did you ride back again?

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 pm

Geezars!! thats some effort Chuck :o And here I am hoping one day I'll be fit enough to just ride from my place to Orford with gear for an overnighter/fishing trip.

Great work, look forward to seeing the photos.

cheers
Baldy

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 pm

Chuck wrote:The climb was definitely more enjoyable than the ride down. Hope to post up some pictures in the New Year when I get back to Sydney.
Hi

Interesting comment. What made the climb better?

Regards
Andrew

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:17 pm

I reckon he means the ride down from Orford into the headwind?....well, thats how I read it anyway.

If it is the decent on the mountain my guess would be too cold, rough and narrow!! But I doubt it because thats enjoyable because its a bit of a challenge, your pretty much switched on the entire decent of the Pinnicle road.

cheers
Baldy

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:15 pm

I don't really enjoy the Mt Wellington descent - just too hairy if you go fast but you really have to work the brakes to keep at a sensible speed. The ascent isn't exactly a picnic either, though...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Chuck wrote:The climb was definitely more enjoyable than the ride down. Hope to post up some pictures in the New Year when I get back to Sydney.
Interesting comment. What made the climb better?
Baldy wrote:I reckon he means the ride down from Orford into the headwind?....well, thats how I read it anyway.
Spot on Baldy, but having reread what I posted I can see why Andrew was asking.

But I do agree with this....
m@ wrote:I don't really enjoy the Mt Wellington descent - just too hairy if you go fast but you really have to work the brakes to keep at a sensible speed. The ascent isn't exactly a picnic either, though...
....I'm a nervous descender at the best of times, but a long, tight, bumpy descent like that had me on the brakes most of the way. I didn't enjoy it like you'd think you might after such a long climb.
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:52 pm

RobRollin wrote:What shop did you go to?
I think it was called Bikeride :? it's the first one on your left as you enter Hobart from the Tasman Bridge and follow the North Hobart signs, right near the mall. The young guy that served me was friendly enough, but the price of a tube....
RobRollin wrote:Did you ride back again?
It was in the back of my mind when I set out Rob, and it would have been a good opportunity to rack up my first double ton (I hit 101kms at the summit). But my back is giving me alot of grief at the moment so I took the soft option and the Mrs picked me up back down in Hobart.

A shame really as it would have been a tail wind most of the way back.
FPR Ragamuffin

Releng

Postby Releng » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Wow, Chuck you are a legend. I would struggle to do that ride on my MOTORCYCLE.

Mick.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:10 am

The Mt Wellington climb is my ultimate goal/challenge in my riding escapades. I dip my lid at anyone who can nail MtW... I have driven up there and its a tough drive let alone climb!

I assume u guys are nailing it on standard gruppos as well...

When I have mastered the Adelaide Hills I will bring the trusty steed down to tassie and have a crack at "Everest" :)

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 am

You inspired me Rob and Chuck.... I made it up there today...woohoo :lol:

Didnt plan to go right up just went to check out some more of the yachts and do my normal loop but felt good at Fern Tree so started up the hill to see how cold it was, turns out the weather was perfect. Well it was for long enough to get up there and have a look around, timed it well because it started to cloud over on the way down[brrrrr :shock: ] Couldnt believe I had actually ridden a pushy to the top of the mountain :o :lol: The other thing that surprised me was all the people who said something to me up there, it was busy with tourists and locals and quite a few said stuff like well done, did you ride all the way up, how long did it take, are you insane ect ect :mrgreen: It was cool, couple of friendly cheers from some cars in the last couple of Kms and then some of them approached me at the top to say good on yer 8) Like the vibe riding in parts of Europe... not that ive been there its just something I read and heard and thought that must be nice. I was on a bit of a high at the thought of making the summit so the last few km's were surprisingly easy, plus I was only crawling :oops: :lol: I made up for it on the way down, only touching the brakes for the blind corners, even overtook a few cars :P ....woooshkaa!!

I know I know, proof or shut it right!!
Thats a slideshow of photos from the sumit.

And one of the terrorists was kind enough to take a couple for me

It was also my first logged ride on bikejournal so here are the stats for anyone interested in that stuff.
http://www.bikejournal.com/journal.asp? ... jyear=2010

cheers
Baldy

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Congrats mate thats a great effort. Nice Trek as well! Nice pics! The few kms after the Chalet I found the worst, the last 1.5kms I rode at my maximum increased my average only because of the finish was so near, pure exhilaration!

When your going to Fern Tree next let me know and I might come along.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks mate, we are lucky to have plenty of hills to pick from huh, most cars gave me a wide berth too which was good, wish I could say the same for the peds on the shared path between the domain and wharf :roll:

I found the hardest bit was in the trees between the springs and chalet, once I started to get some views it was easier to put up with a bit of pain. The last few k's I was just crawling along in the smallest gear while checking out the view I couldnt get the stupid grin off my face :lol: Got to the top fully recovered from the efforts down in the trees. I dont exactly do intervals, I just try and keep a steady pace but sometimes I missjudge it and cook myself and other times I'll finish with plenty left in the tank.

I'll try and give you enough notice, though most of the time I dont plan far ahead and change my mind mid ride :roll: I still havnt got around to joining a group ride yet, I think I might be able to keep up now so I'd like to give it a go. The guys at the shop kept on asking so I might find out if theres anything on next week.

cheers
Baldy

edit : Forgot this http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cadbury-Summit

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:31 pm

Super effort Baldy :D you look like a climber :wink:
FPR Ragamuffin

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:27 am

Join the Ken Self ride on Monday nights at 6pm. Takes on a 46km loop, relatively easy, along the bike track t turn off to go up Marys Hope Road, out to Granton, up Ten Mile Hill, up Cadburys Estate for a sprint and back to Ken Self along the bike track. Chris's wife runs the ride it's a nice easy pace between 28-35kmh/r. In a group it's easy to sit in 3rd wheel and ride.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks Rob I needed a bit of motivation, so I went on my first one tonight. Was running late and spotted them coming down towards the mall and I caught them up. They were going to Kingston so I tagged on the back. It was good fun, the hardest part of it I found was riding to someone elses pace and not being in control of when and how much effort to put in. I dont do intervals or anything like that when I ride and I dont need to, my only goal is to tour so a nice steady pace is what I like.
Of course I got blown away by most of them, fit/strong bastards :shock: :lol: Allthough I only blew up once :oops: I thought they were slowing up so I dug in to get over a rise went pop!! :lol:

I might go again, not sure. Dont laugh but I actually felt bad for leaving people behind when all of a sudden it seemed like it was every man/woman for themselves going back over the hill, I felt like I should ease up and ride with them so they dont feel left behind :oops: :roll: Silly I know because I didnt mind the fitter people going off and we all met up at the top anyway. I guess they do it so everyone has a chance to blow the cobwebs out and sounds like its just part of bunch riding.

cheers
Baldy