Vitus 979 Dural

4Flares

Vitus 979 Dural

Postby 4Flares » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi all,

This is my 2nd post, and hello to everyone. I've enjoyed reading your threads as a lurker for a couple of months now.......so it's about time I come out!! I thought I'd share my latest purchase with you.

I rode as a teenager, but a bad accident, on the Great Ocean Road, one training trip, put the shitter up me, and well, I've probably ridden 4 or 5 times since then, which was nearly 20 years ago.

However, during the last tour, I got the urge to get back on the bike, and subsequently have been looking for a classic steel bike, 80s or earlier. My missus reckons it's the beginning of my mid-life crisis, god love her. It probably is.

I'm still searching for a steelie, but I'm pretty happy with what I've picked up. I remember these, well, I had a friend who had one of the earlier Carbonfibre Vitus - which had the problems with the glued lugs - they would come undone. This happend to him. At that time, there was only a guy in Perth who could fix them, anyway, he made it worse, and sent all the pieces back to us in a box. :lol:

I've found a little bit of info on the net inregards to the 979 Dural, but was wondering if anyone had any extra info?? Or stories about Vitus', etc. I would be most appreciative. Hopefully, one day I'll have a classic steelie to talk about.

(As I do not have a sufficient post count, I can't post the image links - is there a way around it? Edit : I've just read the sticky post. Doh.)

I'm really happy with the condition. It is apprarently from 1988. Mavic Rims, Shimano 600 (with the Biopace chainwheel). I must admit, the more I look at it, the more I fall in love.

Lets hope the top tube doesn''t breakway, when I'm going around the corner. :lol:

cheers,
damian

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:17 pm

Send the links to me Damian and I'll put them up for you.

Mid life crisis? The woman's nuts, there's no crisis except the lack of time and money :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

4Flares

Postby 4Flares » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:29 pm

europa wrote:Send the links to me Damian and I'll put them up for you.

Mid life crisis? The woman's nuts, there's no crisis except the lack of time and money :D

Richard
Cheers Richard.

Links forwarded.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:34 pm

And here they be :D

Last edited by europa on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Lovely. Far too many gears of course, and I bet those pedals spin backwards as well :shock: but she's a gorgeous old bike :D

Richard

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:54 pm

Nice looking bike. Anodised blue I'm assumng. Any chance of getting a closeup of the seat tube lug, it looks interesting.

4Flares

Postby 4Flares » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:50 pm

tallywhacker wrote:Nice looking bike. Anodised blue I'm assumng. Any chance of getting a closeup of the seat tube lug, it looks interesting.
No problem, I'll take them tomorrow.

The seat post (25.0mm) is secured, not by a clamp, but by a single bolt.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:39 pm

G'Day Damian

Geez she's pretty :D

Welcome back to the two wheeled obsession, the more the merrier.
Don't go listening to the odd types here and put a track hub on her.... well not for a while anyway :lol:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:G'Day Damian

Don't go listening to the odd types here and put a track hub on her.... well not for a while anyway :lol:

Shaun
Ignore him, he rides a mountain bike. FIX it and be done with it, you know you want to :twisted:

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:25 am

europa wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:G'Day Damian

Shaun
Ignore him, he rides a mountain bike. FIX it and be done with it, you know you want to :twisted:

Richard
Didn't even need to bait the hook :twisted:

You're forgetting Deni Richard, then there's the projects in the shed, one of which will be fixed. IF I can sufficiently sweet talk the GLW :roll:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:21 am

I just love these frames - in fact one of my main incentives for lossing some (read lots :oops: ) of kilos is so that I can find myself one to restore and ride it without breaking it!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:10 am

I'd love to have a Vitus 979 like yours. Sean Kelly rode one in the 80's but I suppose you know that. I have heard that they can become 'soft' with age. I believe the bonding loosens but I've never actually seen this for myself. I also believe a bikeshop called Action Cycles in Melbourne imported the frames.

Wouldn't it look great with 'drilled out' components as was the fashion in the 70's and perhaps an Omas replacement titanium bolt set. A real lightweight bike.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:26 am

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:05 pm

More Vitus images. This bike is stunning - I think I hate him 8)

Richard

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:27 am

I never thought I would see myself drooling over a pushy, but this one has style and charisma and, and.... I like it... lots.

I spotted the cadence magnet on the crank arms, but saw no other wires or bits and pieces. Does this bike sport one of them fang-dangled wireless jobbies?
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:43 am

like the seat cluster, very unusual. I take it the screw at the back screws into the seatpost. Shimano 600 group set, very nice

4Flares

Postby 4Flares » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Thank you for your kind words, and not so kind words, Richard. :)

I took her to a local track the other night and she just wants to go. Off the saddle, the flex is very noticably, nothing alarming though. I'm about 85kgs, so I reckon someone in the 70-76kgs range???, would be perfectly suited to the Vitus and would fly around.
Double-Gee : spotted the cadence magnet on the crank arms, but saw no other wires or bits and pieces. Does this bike sport one of them fang-dangled wireless jobbies?

It came with a Cateye Astrale - plenty of wires. I have an old Cateye TM100 cordless that I will eventually put on.
tallywhacker : I take it the screw at the back screws into the seatpost.
Correct. The image is not clear, it's just an allen-key bolt. I'm going to adjust the seat, so I'll see if there's anything else unusual about the set up.