Bikes and Spikes Carnival [Tas] *now with 2011 pics*

Baldy

Bikes and Spikes Carnival [Tas] *now with 2011 pics*

Postby Baldy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Gday speed freaks :twisted: :lol:

Went to my first track race today for a look, its actually more fun to watch than I thought. Watching it on tv doesnt do much for me but live it was good, I found myself clapping them around and geez they are fit :o I know 2/5th of sweet fa about track cycling but I'd go again.

Anyway the reason for posting is just to put up a couple of photos, for anyone who is interested. The riders are all out of focus At least you can see most of the track :oops: :lol:

If you squint your eyes you might be able to make out a rainbow jersey on the front there!! Amy Cure. Bit too much class for the other ladies, riding on the front the whole race but they did make her earn the win in the end.

Not much of a bank on that side, plus there are no straits.

Mens A-Grade scratch race, 2 guys went off the front but didnt survive.

Newtown track, with views of Mt Wellington.

Thats it, pics are a bit dodgy but better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick eh :mrgreen:
Cheers
Baldy
Last edited by Baldy on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats

Re: Bikes and Spikes Carnival [Tas]

Postby fats » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:52 am

Nice work Baldy. I've never seen the Newtown track being from Sydney but it looks great, nice and smooth wide, fairly long over 400m I'm guessing? and a great looking day. Was it warm and much breeze? Thanks for the shots.

Baldy

Re: Bikes and Spikes Carnival [Tas]

Postby Baldy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Gday Fats,

Sorry mate ive got no idea how long it is but yeah its a nice smooth hotmix. I overheard one of the riders bemoaning the fact there were no straits but I guess that works both ways, some must prefer the bends.

It was pretty warm,25C+ I think. But the sun has a real bite to it down here so I think it would have been a bit tough out there. It was bloody hot standing in the sun just watching :roll: :lol:
I dont think there was any wind, it gets some shelter from those line of pinetrees from the arvo sea breeze. I was only there for the last couple of hours[finished at 5pm]

My camera is only an old 4mp thing[olympus mju mini] but I took a short vid of the final lap of the mens a-grade scratch. Pretty average quality vid but I thought I'd put it up anyway. For those that follow the racing at least you can hear the riders names which I forgot. Plus it gives you a rough rolling view of the track which I thought might mean something to people who ride track.
Im on dialup so a 19mb vid took quite a while to upload :oops: :lol: So I hope someone likes it !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLcQ2gEwVAc

Cheers
Baldy

Baldy

Re: Bikes and Spikes Carnival / Updated with 2011 pics

Postby Baldy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:32 pm

So I went and watched the racing again this year. Started off a windy but pretty nice day but just as they were lining up for the Hobart wheel race[which I think had been moved forward to avoid it] it started pouring with rain. Thunder and lightning....the works :roll: So that was it for the bikes and it wasnt much fun riding back home in it!

Saw some good racing anyway, the young guys and girls get stuck into it and I was surprised at the number of girls racing. The clubs are obviously doing something right and good on them.

Here are the photos, I cant help with ID on the most of the riders. The only ones I know are Ockerby because of his bigger profile and a couple of blokes I have ridden with Keuwn[not sure on spelling] and Simon.

cheers

foo on patrol

Re: Bikes and Spikes Carnival [Tas] *now with 2011 pics*

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Yeah, becomes a bit treacherous in the wet on the track. :)
Last edited by foo on patrol on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toppity

Re: Bikes and Spikes Carnival [Tas] *now with 2011 pics*

Postby toppity » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:00 pm

thanks for the photos. I've wanted for years to get down to the Tassie carnivals. Looks like fun.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.