New Farm Bikeway missing link under construction

beauyboy

New Farm Bikeway missing link under construction

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:41 pm

I have just come back from the Gym and noticed that the Missing link In the Riverwalk at New Farm is finally under construction.
Locals (me included) have been complaining that this need to be done for years and finally it is getting done. While it will not add many commuters (except for the very green) it will certainly help to increase the number of cyclists in the suburb. The missing link will link the death trap dead end boardwalk bikeway infront of the 'Cutters Landing' apartments to the powerhouse.
This is the first picture. I will take some more when the construction workers are no longer there.

Donald

Here is the media release about it from mid last year
www.campbellnewman.com.au
New Farm’s ‘missing link’ to be filled
Written on the 18 May, 2009

The missing link in Brisbane’s popular RiverWalk shared pathway will soon be filled, with the design of the new Cutters Landing section ready to go to tender, Public and Active Transport Chairman Jane Prentice said today.

The project, which continues the existing RiverWalk pathway at Teneriffe past the Powerhouse and into New Farm Park, is part of Lord Mayor Campbell Newman’s record $100 million four year commitment for new bikeway infrastructure.

Cr Prentice said the $2.6 million Cutters Landing project would fill a vital 300m missing link in the important pathway and encourage active transport in Brisbane.

“Once this new section is completed, pedestrians and cyclists will be connected to more than 20km of scenic RiverWalk pathways,” she said.

“This is about linking communities and providing access to bridges and riverside parks.”

The project will see a 3.5m-wide shared pathway constructed from Cutters Landing to the Powerhouse, connecting to the existing New Farm Park pathway.

It will include a 40m-long, 5m-wide boardwalk at Cutters Landing.

“RiverWalk has become an important social and cultural connection between the people of Brisbane and the Brisbane River,” Cr Prentice said.

“A completed RiverWalk will provide for nearly 20,000 trips each and every day.”

Cr Prentice said Council would keep the community informed about the project and will continue to provide updates as the project progresses.

The Lord Mayor’s $100 million program represents a quadrupling of shared cycleway funding over the four year Council term.

[Ends] May 18, 2009
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

ValleyForge

Re: New Farm Bikeway missing link under construction

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Will it go through to Vernon tce, or will it fall short at the Catalina development?
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 pm

No your thinking of the wrong end. This will link to the Powerhouse/New Farm Park. Vernon Tce is a whole other set of issues.

I will post some more pics soon

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 am

Just wish it was sorted out through to Newstead, rather than having to detour onto Breakfast Creek Rd.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:28 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Just wish it was sorted out through to Newstead, rather than having to detour onto Breakfast Creek Rd.
I was dawdling around Newstead a few weeks ago and there seems to be a bikepath and road under construction linking the northern end of Teneriffe with Newstead.
:?:

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:15 am

OK I got around to taking some more pics
piles for the short boardwalk section that is taking most of the money
barge with piles
The construction sign (in case you would like to ask questions of the BCC (note on completion date shown)

as for the other end. I expect that will not open until mid next year. The CityGlider bus service will use that road and that is not due to start until mid next year. The problem is when that opens there will be a huge amount of Rat Running :x

Donald