Typical newbie asking for advice thread...

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:06 pm

coolrider wrote:I am finding that the 07 Smoke may not be in stock anymore. I was told by the shop i called that the 08 version was 4-6 weeks away. I want my new bike sooner than that. I will try other places, but in case i can't manage to find one...

He suggested the Kona Dew, and then the Deluxe model when i asked about wheel durability. So what do you guys think about the Dew for me, and is the upgrade to Deluxe of much benefit given the extra $$$?
From your original post, it sounds like you are not going to do any serious off-road riding. So chances are your money is going to be wasted on the Dew and Deluxe with their suspension forks etc.

Stay with a simple bike like the Kona Smoke first, the more you ride, the more weight you will lose. Then you will start to think abt riding longer and faster, which a road bike will address.

Wheel durability can be simply addressed by just asking for some strong wheels to be built for you. The shop might do an upgrade deal for you. Just ask.

coolrider

Postby coolrider » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Thank you everyone who offered me advice. The Kona Smoke is what i decided on, and i am very happy with it. I haven't had much of a ride yet (weather not too good today) but i had so much fun on the short spin i took up and down the street that i felt like i was 10 years old again. Thanks again everyone! :D

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolrider

Postby coolrider » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:23 am

Thanks for the encouragement MG. I am loving it at the moment (besides some saddle soreness).