Best tyres for commuting?

Baalzamon

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 am

Fletcher wrote:I've been running a 32 Conti Sport Contact on the rear wheel of my flat bar for 3,300km so far - they're a bloody excellent tyre. It's quite squared off now, so might replace it soon. When I bought them I wanted 28mm, but the lbs said conti didn't import them to Oz in that size, so I bought the 32s.
Nonsense, I've got a set of Conti Sport Contact 28's that are spare right now that I picked up from my lbs for the Great Escapade
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:02 pm

^^ fan of the wheel of time there, Baalzamon?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Ozchuck wrote:^^ fan of the wheel of time there, Baalzamon?
Yup, I snatched the latest book as soon as it was out. Also a fan of that tyre. I had it on my MTB and they were great, just wish I had a fatter tyre on the Great Escapade. They were great on that, no flats, ran very well.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Fletcher wrote:I've been running a 32 Conti Sport Contact on the rear wheel of my flat bar for 3,300km so far - they're a bloody excellent tyre. It's quite squared off now, so might replace it soon. When I bought them I wanted 28mm, but the lbs said conti didn't import them to Oz in that size, so I bought the 32s.
Nonsense, I've got a set of Conti Sport Contact 28's that are spare right now that I picked up from my lbs for the Great Escapade
:evil: and :roll:
Not happy about that. That particular lbs would be unimpressed to know that. I think I'll tell them about that tomorrow, as I was planning a lunch time spend at the lbs.

I put a Vittoria Zaffiro on the rear last night. What a nice piece of rubber. It handles very well. I want to get another for the front, as my front tyre is total rubbish - a Serfas Seca. It has a so-called puncture resistant strip in the middle, that has been pierced twice by the tiniest pieces of glass. It has really steep sides and encourages the bike to really drop into corners.

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Sun May 16, 2010 8:49 am

I have had no problems with Vittoria randoneur but I dont fang it on the corners in the dark.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Currently pondering on what rubber i should get to turn my 26" MTB into a commuter...

Current thinking is:
Conti Gatorskin 1.1"
Conti Sports Contact 1.6"
Maxxis Hookworm 2.5"

Love the grip and big bag of air of the hookworms, but they're heavy++. Certainly secure for the winter riding though, and makes curb jumping fun, rather than enduring pinch flats!

Had some gatorskins on my surly for a while, turned it into a super-fast commuter.

Mate has the Sports Contact on his XTC 2, for use as a commuter... Love the look of them, and the handling isn't bad either...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 am

Have a look at Continentals Town and Country Caelum, used 'em for years as a commuter tyre on me MTB.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:39 am

I had seen them... but i'd get worried that there's not enough rubber contacting the road when cornering, is all.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Can't say I had a problem with mine that way Caelum, except for one incident on wet brick pavers. Otherwise, avoid wet grass.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Loving Conti Sport Contact 700c 28s on my CX commuter. Also use Specialized Armadillo 28s on the SS extreme weather commuter. Both good tyres with very good puncture protection.

Picked up the Contis from Wiggle without bothering to look locally (and under $30 each with free delivery). Fletcher's experience is a great example of why to buy what you want online :).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Runjikol

Schwalbe Dureme??

Postby Runjikol » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Any Schwalbe Dureme users that can give a ride report, preferably after a few months, for us? :?:
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Caelum wrote: Mate has the Sports Contact on his XTC 2, for use as a commuter... Love the look of them, and the handling isn't bad either...
Got a few more k's on my sports contacts (32-622) now, and in a wider range of conditions. They seem to do pretty much everything I need them to do (that is not go flat and have nice levels of grip).
*** insert signature here ***

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:28 pm

For the record, i went with hookworms, 2.5"...

Awesome tyres... but there are positives and negatives to them...

You can run them as low as ~10-15PSI if you feel the need, for offroad use... i'd be more comfortable at 20 though.

I run them at 40-65 for road use, and have not yet found the limit to their grip, which is obviously a good thing.

Yes, they're heavy. But on the flipside, i've ridden over LOTS of glass, not even a sign of a puncture as yet.

Curb hopping etc, lovely... big fat bags of air ;)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 am

I've just thrown on some Vittoria Randoneur 28's, coming from GP4000 23's I noticed the resistance and weight difference instantly, I usually only get 2mths puncture free on new tyres no matter what they are, then at about 3-4mths they need replacing due to being sliced to pieces (gotta love a commute through some ghetto London suburbs).
I'll be disappointed if get a puncture within the first 3mths with these Randoneur's.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:27 am

Has anyone had any experience with Kenda Kwick Trax? My wife will be using them for commuting on her Cannondale and I'm hoping they will be tough as I'm not sure what she will be like at changing tubes on the side of the path :shock:

If they are no good I'll use them on my commuter.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Sports contacts have been good for me. No glass punctures at all, whereas I was getting one a month or so on specialized armadillos.

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 pm

I can't believe in 4 pages no one has mentioned maxxis "refuses" I went 12 months on these before I got a flat and that included about 10-20 commutes (80km each) in all weather and glass etc. plus another 5-6000kms they arent super grippy but amazing what you can ride over, I know a few guys running them and they are cheap!
Been affected by cancer? Know somebody who has been? Read about what I am doing about it http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=37465

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:51 pm

i'm running michelin speedium 700x23 on the road bike and michelin city semi slick 700x28 on the giant cypress and these have been very good so far,have had the michelin city semi slick's off road from jewells to belmont along the old sand mining track quite a few times and they have stood up to some beatings with some sections of that track with some big stones from a quarry,those stones are a very good test for even the proper mtb knobbly tyres

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Looking for a replacement tire for my Orbea as the OEM front tire developed a "wobble" (damaged bead) and has been getting worse of the past few weeks. Not sure how much longer it will hold out (switched it to the rear and the good tire to the front).

I need a 700x35 tire, and I am deciding between the Schwalbe Marathon Plus which goes for around $42 at most stores, or the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper City which is around $44. The Marathon+ seems to be a 'tougher' tire, however it is considerably heavier, weighing in at 895gm compared to the Hyper City which is 390gm.. that's a 505gm difference in weight! Half a kilogram, unless that weight chart is wrong!

Can anyone offer advice on this, or another alternative option for a 700x35 city/commuting tire.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:30 pm

elStado wrote:I need a 700x35 tire, and I am deciding between the Schwalbe Marathon Plus which goes for around $42 at most stores, or the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper City which is around $44. The Marathon+ seems to be a 'tougher' tire, however it is considerably heavier, weighing in at 895gm compared to the Hyper City which is 390gm.. that's a 505gm difference in weight! Half a kilogram, unless that weight chart is wrong!
Hi

And that is per tyre so you would be riding with an extra 1 kg. Personally I would go with the Vittoria out of those two choices.

Andrew
Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

And that is per tyre so you would be riding with an extra 1 kg. Personally I would go with the Vittoria out of those two choices.

Andrew
True, although one of my stock OEM tires is fine, so I only need one replacement. But ~500gm extra weight is quite excessive.

Only issue is I have the typical online store conundrum, evans have the particular road tyre I want for my project bike, and wiggle have the commuter tire.. I have to order $80 worth of gear to qualify for shipping.

Might go back and have another 'last chance' look at my LBS in case they got new stock, would be much easier if I could just buy it there and then and physically see what I am buying, I don't mind if there are a little more expensive either.

the grid

Postby the grid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 pm

elStado wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Hi

Andrew
True, although one of my stock OEM tires is fine, so I only need one replacement. But ~500gm extra weight is quite excessive.

Only issue is I have the typical online store conundrum, evans have the particular road tyre I want for my project bike, and wiggle have the commuter tire.. I have to order $80 worth of gear to qualify for shipping.

Might go back and have another 'last chance' look at my LBS in case they got new stock, would be much easier if I could just buy it there and then and physically see what I am buying, I don't mind if there are a little more expensive either.
STOP!!
I have two unused (well maybe 30km) schwabe marathon plus 32s that I had on my Giant Seek ( now running 700x28 Specialized All Conditions).
I don't think they weigh 800g+ That seems excessive.
I can send to you for say postage cost +$20. PM me if interested. :D

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:37 am

Just put in my Wiggle order the other night, ended up getting the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper City tire for my commuter and some other gear for my project bike.

Looks to be the goods for a wider city tire.

Thanks anyway for the [late] offer. :)

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Just managed to wear out my continental city contact 26x1.5. 7000km from buying near new 2nd hand.
Impressively long life and no punctures, I had the feeling they were a bit slow and seemed to transfer every bump even with lowish pressures.
I decided I was imagining that and have persevered with them for 2 years, but now have put sport contacts on and they feel much nicer, and I seem to go a couple of kph faster.
I did change the size slightly (now 1.6 rear and 1.3 front) but I think it is just the tyre model that makes the difference.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 am

Crawf wrote:I've just thrown on some Vittoria Randoneur 28's, coming from GP4000 23's I noticed the resistance and weight difference instantly, I usually only get 2mths puncture free on new tyres no matter what they are, then at about 3-4mths they need replacing due to being sliced to pieces (gotta love a commute through some ghetto London suburbs).
I'll be disappointed if get a puncture within the first 3mths with these Randoneur's.
My Randoneurs have just made it to over 4000km since mid Aug, the only punctures (5!) have been in the last week. They went 5mths without a puncture before that.
They are coming off very shortly as they are slashed to the shizen. I think it'll be tough to find a match for these tyres.
Definitely the best value/resistent/performance mix out there that I have used.
http://www.this link is broken/vittoria-randonneur-city-tyre/

Have a set of Specialized All Condition Armadillo's ready to go on, the dead of winter is really going to test these.