Best route to Willunga from South Terrace

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 am

Hi. I'm planning to ride to Willunga Hill from South Terrace to see the TDU stage on Saturday, January 23. Could anyone suggest the best route? I ride on the road often but try to avoid arterial roads. Thanks in advance for any help.

Verbs & Nouns

Re: Best route to Willunga from South Terrace

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 am

Try this…

But yeah, keep heading south on backstreets til you hit the southern expressway "veloway" and your home free.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:06 am

I'd go Anzac Highway (bike lane), left onto Marion Rd (bike lane) then cross onto the Veloway. You can follow the Veloway to Mclaren Vale and then ride down the road to Willunga. Thats the way we are going to go. Arrive early at Willunga Hill to secure a spot...last year it was heaving!
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 am

Dahondude wrote:I'd go Anzac Highway (bike lane), left onto Marion Rd (bike lane) then cross onto the Veloway. You can follow the Veloway to Mclaren Vale and then ride down the road to Willunga. Thats the way we are going to go. Arrive early at Willunga Hill to secure a spot...last year it was heaving!
Much appreciated. I'm coming from Sydney so this route description will help a lot.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Dahondude wrote:I'd go Anzac Highway (bike lane), left onto Marion Rd (bike lane) then cross onto the Veloway. You can follow the Veloway to Mclaren Vale and then ride down the road to Willunga. Thats the way we are going to go. Arrive early at Willunga Hill to secure a spot...last year it was heaving!
Actually, if you keep on the bike track from McLaren Vale, it takes you to the main st in Willunga, just short of the TdU arch finish line !!!

A bit safer than on the road to Willunga than suggested by Dahondude, but by no means like Sydney street traffic !!!!

Have a good time. It's a good ride down to Mclaren vale and back. The veloway track is a bit rough and coarse chip bitumen most of the way, but no cars !!!!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:42 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Actually, if you keep on the bike track from McLaren Vale, it takes you to the main st in Willunga, just short of the TdU arch finish line !!!

A bit safer than on the road to Willunga than suggested by Dahondude, but by no means like Sydney street traffic !!!!

Have a good time. It's a good ride down to Mclaren vale and back. The veloway track is a bit rough and coarse chip bitumen most of the way, but no cars !!!!
Thanks for that tip. Hopefully I'll have the legs after the Mutual Community Challenge ride of 160km!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:56 pm

biker jk wrote:
Thanks for that tip. Hopefully I'll have the legs after the Mutual Community Challenge ride of 160km!
Depends on how hard you ride the 160km, and what you are used to.

Good thing is that you can take it easy, and plenty of spots for breaks. There are no long hills, just short ones, and some that have a bit of bite. The return journey from Willunga will be the test, especially with the headwind that usually happens.

The trip to McLaren Vale and back from my place (pretty close to Sth terrace) is 82km, with 930m of climbing, and just over 3 hrs taking it easy. To Willunga adds abaout another 10km each way, and Willunga Hill is about 3 - 4 km long at about 6.5% average. So a good 110 km round trip for you.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Here is a map showing the veloway route, but also an alternate route up through the hills that is much more scenic, but with tougher climbs and a perhaps more traffic (given that the veloway is totally separated).

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Wi ... ckham-Hill

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:20 pm

DanielS wrote:Here is a map showing the veloway route, but also an alternate route up through the hills that is much more scenic, but with tougher climbs and a perhaps more traffic (given that the veloway is totally separated).

Just a bit more climbing :D

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 pm

DanielS wrote:Here is a map showing the veloway route, but also an alternate route up through the hills that is much more scenic, but with tougher climbs and a perhaps more traffic (given that the veloway is totally separated).

Thanks for this option but I'll probably take the flatter route after a 160km ride the day before, much as I enjoy climbing (spent a month in France last July and did Mont Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez among others).

Axel Brawn

Postby Axel Brawn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Guys - I want to get on Willunga hill for the two climbs on stage 5 - whats the best way to get to the top via bike?

I will be driving from Adelaide with the Mrs and a bike each so the plan is to park as close as possible and ride the rest.

Any tips would be appreciated

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Axel Brawn wrote:Hi Guys - I want to get on Willunga hill for the two climbs on stage 5 - whats the best way to get to the top via bike?

I will be driving from Adelaide with the Mrs and a bike each so the plan is to park as close as possible and ride the rest.

Any tips would be appreciated
Ummm, ride...

Not sure what you are asking. It also depends where you park, but if you follow all the others, it will be pretty obvious on the day

Axel Brawn

Postby Axel Brawn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Is there a certain road I should come in on? Is the ride from carparking to the hill far? How long before the race do they shut the roads for other cyclists? Sorry for all the rookie questions - it's my first time

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 pm

The road from McLaren Vale to Willunga will be closed from 6am. So the best bet may be to take Victor Harbor Rd or Main South Rd and getting on to Aldinga/Biscay rd and park on the street. I'm fairly familiar with this area but am not speaking from experience of doing it on a TDU day. That should get you closest to the bottom of the hill.

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/jayco-stage-5

road closures

Happy to be corrected though.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:00 pm

I have driven to the top on the road from Meadows past Kuipto. We got there less than 30 minutes before the peleton came up the hill. Parked within walking distance of the top of the hill.

Gavin

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:15 pm

SeanB wrote:The road from McLaren Vale to Willunga will be closed from 6am.
This is just closed to cars right? Does 'total road closure' actually mean that?

I'm planning on riding to Willunga and get a spot on the hill about 9am. I wont bother otherwise and just park it in McLaren Vale.

Tim