how much time

jagguy

how much time

Postby jagguy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi,

How much time can you save with quality parts for a bicycle on a time trial (triathlon) (20-40km).

If currently I have a base entry road bike with toe clips ?
It is I have read varying times for pedals, wheels frame etc

jules21

Re: how much time

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:34 pm

not much, if your roadie is properly tuned and the course is flat.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Nobody can answer this question for you. There are way too many variables at play, not the least of which is how well trained YOU are. The biggest time savings will be made by training effectively.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:23 pm

It would depend a lot of you. Shorter/longer cranks might help, lighter wheels might help, but in the end even with the best equipment a poorly-trained athlete will still fall behind a well-trained athlete riding on old junk.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

jagguy

Postby jagguy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:35 pm

I know you cant answer exactly and training makes most difference but I just wanted to know what small advantages were made with
pedals made- lock
wheels
carbon frame etc

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:48 pm

All the little changes are affecting different things - some are for weight, some are to improve power transfer and some are for aerodynamics.

The improvements from the items which improve power transfer will depend on how much power you currently miss out on by not having them.

The improvements from the items which improve aerodynamics will depend on how fast you currently ride.

The improvements from the items which lower weight will depend on how much your bike currently weighs and how much power you can produce (F=ma).

In order to answer the question you've asked, we need you to list your weight, your bike's weight, how much power you can produce, what your current coefficient of drag is, what your bike's coefficient of drag is, what sort of road you ride on, how fast you ride now and so on.

Alternatively, I can inform you that if you add all these improvements to your bike, you will get an extra 9.5742km/h out of your bike's top speed over the length of your 22.45km commute*.

Cheers,
Graeme

* I might be guessing here. :)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

zues

Postby zues » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:50 pm

+1 To what Kalgrm said.
But if you got some money burning a hole in your pocket get some light weight wheels -any way thats what Ive been told. :?

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:50 am

In a TT a heavier bike usually wins over a... weenie? (Is that the correct term?). Obviously if you're starting and stopping then lighter is better, but if you're a diesel (like our very own TLL), then a heavier bike (not panniers and racks) could be better in maintaining momentum. Obviously aerodynamics plays a big part.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

fixie

Postby fixie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:39 am

Flat course, 20 - 40 kms, ride fixed wheel. Try on around 81 inches. You will know after the first one if that was too high or too low. I recently compared my times over a mixed hilly flat 42 ik course riding my carbon bike with Ultegra and gears and my regular Italian steel commuter fixed and there was less than a minute in it and I was not actually trying. It was just something I noted with interest.

Sources of improvement: priority order.
1 Tyres.
2. Tubes
3. Rims
4. Ahh it just goes on and on.
Remember to put oil on the chain.

There are so many things. Position on the bike for pedalling effectiveness. Position on the bike for aerodynamic effectiveness. Do not start worrying about weight or aerodynamics until you have got to an average speed for the leg of 40 kph.
My 2d worth.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm no expert but from what I've read on the internet (it must be true if it's on the interweb! :mrgreen: ) aero is most important. As in position on the bike. A cheap way of getting more aero is to buy clip-on aero bars something like this - http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=K6667 and a TT helmet something like this - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/LRH ... -TT-Helmet.

Pedals like these - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SHP ... PD-R670%29 and compatible shoes something like this - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/NOS ... -Road-Shoe would help transfer the power more efficiently as well.

whitestivo

Postby whitestivo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:34 pm

if you don't already have them, the number one would be good quality shoes and an spd set of pedals.

whitestivo

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:53 pm

you need this:

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 am

in like, track cycling, aerodynamics is more important than the bikes weight. as for your bicycle in real life though, in a TT, the guy who rides the best wins the race; take Dave Millar in the Tour of italy last year; he had a full aerosuit and helmet, barely legal custom time trialling bars and a time trial frame, but dennis menchov won with a "standard" bike and clothes.

however, a new set of wheels and aerobars will do the best for you. for most triathlon events, you can hire out TT wheelsets. they're harder riding, and have deep dishes.

anything more is superfluous; you usually dont win TT's by fractions of seconds.
What are these salesmen peddling?

Andrew69

Postby Andrew69 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:13 pm

There are three things important in a tri bike leg.

Aero, aero and aero :mrgreen:

Seriously though, your position on the bike will make the biggest difference.
Next best bang for you buck is a aero helmet and then wheels.

Weight means nothing in most tri bike legs (flat or close to) and while tyres are important, the difference is miniscule compared to the difference an excellent position will make.

Aero or die!
2007 Orbea Aspin
2008 Cervelo P3C

triduck

Postby triduck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Having clip on aerobars will give you the most bang for your buck. Theoretically if you are generating the same amount of power you should be faster than without aero bars, assuming all other factors are equal. If you are going at the same speed you will be using less power and energy (in theory again). You will also benefit on the run as you will be feeling fresher.
A wise man once said “The human spirit can overcome any obstacle.” That man had obviously never run a triathlon.