first wiggle purchase

stemple

first wiggle purchase

Postby stemple » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Guys

First time on board, fairly new rider, only been going a year or so and in the over 50 bracket so getting used to being passed.

Bought 50mm deep DA 7850 carbon rear wheel, if arrives and all OK will order front one next week, it appears better to keep orders below $1k for tax/duty and ease of delivery, is this the case?

The thing that has me concerned is I was quoted 3k for the set from LBS and they will be 1.5k from Wiggle, price gouging anyone!

}SkOrPn--7

Re: first wiggle purchase

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi and welcome stemple that is correct keep your orders under 1000 clams and your good to go. I have myself brought things that have exceeded that amount with no issues but maybe me striking an official on a good day. You only have to search these forum to see all the comments about purchases from OS and how much of a price difference it is. If you look over on the edge of the forums you will see many haunts from OS that we all use and don't let people scare you about warranty from OS it's all BS......... :D

Ricky

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:10 pm

stemple wrote:First time on board, fairly new rider, only been going a year or so and in the over 50 bracket so getting used to being passed.

Bought 50mm deep DA 7850 carbon rear wheel, if arrives and all OK will order front one next week, it appears better to keep orders below $1k for tax/duty and ease of delivery, is this the case?
that's a helluva purchase for a new rider! enjoy your carbon wheels

technically, from what i read on their website, the ATO reserves the right to bundle purchases together that it deems have been split up (say, for the purpose of dodging duties). to be safe, i put one of my orders in my partner's name and sent it to my folks' house. but then i suffer from acute paranoia :D

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Nice purchase for someone new to riding. Good on you for not letting viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22775 dissuade you! What machine is this going on and do you race?

I wouldn't have the confidence to spend this sort of money on too many online shop (even though I run an online shop). But you chose a very reputable place to buy from.

stemple

Postby stemple » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys

I bough myself a Orbea Onix Ultegra SL full carbon although had to discard the ridiculous sized bars after my fit last month, they were not doing my back any good, love the feel and look of the bike only 1 problem and it is a big one have a Toupe 143 saddle and i hate it hurts like hell.

Looking at Fizik saddles they get good wraps but very unsure about this particular purchase.

Will probably upgrade the bike next year and keep the DA wheels, would'nt mind a LOOK from Churchills very nice bikes from all accounts.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 am

stemple you have purchase one of the best frame manufactures in my opinion Orbea is nothing short of quality in all aspects so enjoy your new ride it's going to serve you well for many years. :D

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 pm

stemple wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys

I bough myself a Orbea Onix Ultegra SL full carbon although had to discard the ridiculous sized bars after my fit last month, they were not doing my back any good, love the feel and look of the bike only 1 problem and it is a big one have a Toupe 143 saddle and i hate it hurts like hell.

Looking at Fizik saddles they get good wraps but very unsure about this particular purchase.

Will probably upgrade the bike next year and keep the DA wheels, would'nt mind a LOOK from Churchills very nice bikes from all accounts.
G'day

Yes I had a Toupe saddle on my bike when I first got it...like sitting on a jagged rock :oops: . I switched over to an Alias and couldn't be happier. I ended up getting another Alias for my other steed.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

stemple

Postby stemple » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:55 pm

My posterior thanks you for the advise on the saddle, will check them out.

It really does detract from the joy of riding.

Also need to get a decent pair of knicks as the ones I have are cheapies, would appreciate any feedback on good ones to buy.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm

stemple wrote:My posterior thanks you for the advise on the saddle, will check them out.

It really does detract from the joy of riding.

Also need to get a decent pair of knicks as the ones I have are cheapies, would appreciate any feedback on good ones to buy.
I have these bibs:

http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360024489/
I would recommend these as good value for money, as they are quite comfortable. The pad could be a slightly thicker, but it depends how you like it. One other small complaint is that they come up very high at the front making it hard to have a 'nature break' :shock:

http://www.netti.com.au/Ballistic-Bibs/default.aspx
These will cost you around twice as much as the bibs above, but they are a better fit in my opinion and they have a thicker pad. They are low at the front for when nature calls :D These are my long weekend ride bibs.

And these nix:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... PU-SHO.htm
These are soft and very comfortable, but the pad is very thin, so in my opinion only good for shorter rides. I have had 2 pairs of these for a few years now which I use for my shorter weeknight rides. They each get washed twice a week and are still going strong.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

AndyZ

Postby AndyZ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:27 am

Hope you enjoy your DuraAce 50mm Carbon wheels - purchased same about 2 months ago. Bought front wheel from wiggle and rear from PBK. Ordered both on same day and they arrived on the same day and I avoided the import duty and GST.

Re knicks: I generally buy Assos - a little pricey but excellent quality. I usually get about 2 years from a set before the material becomes a little thin.
Current ride: 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite - upgrade to Ultegra and Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850 50mm Carbon Clinchers

rockslayer

Postby rockslayer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:32 pm

stemple wrote:Hi Guys

First time on board, fairly new rider, only been going a year or so and in the over 50 bracket so getting used to being passed.

The thing that has me concerned is I was quoted 3k for the set from LBS and they will be 1.5k from Wiggle, price gouging anyone!
Good work on your 1 Year+. being passed is not a big deal you've probably been improving consistantly all that time which is what you should give yourself credit for. As long as you are enjoying the riding who cares.

$1K is the threshold. the value is listed on the wiggle delivery note which I think customs sometimes check (fingers crossed). keep in mind even if they choose to make you pay the duty which is the GST on the listed value not Aus retail. you are still way ahead of the $3k LBS price.

I usually break up my purchases with wiggle as they offer free shipping to OZ for purchases from around $90 :)

stemple

Postby stemple » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

looks like the beginning of the end for the local LBS selling anything other than bikes if the word gets around.

In saying that was looking at bike prices in USA, they are substantialy less than here.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:07 pm

stemple wrote:looks like the beginning of the end for the local LBS selling anything other than bikes if the word gets around.

In saying that was looking at bike prices in USA, they are substantialy less than here.
Just watch shipping costs from the USA. I have been quoted on a couple of different items (bike, frame, wheels) and the shipping was always crippling and made the items not worth buying. Shipping from the UK is a lot cheaper for some reasons. Bikes are cheap in the UK too.
<removed by request>

stemple

Postby stemple » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the advise will take it on board if looking to buy from USA

PHL

Postby PHL » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:21 am

stemple wrote:Looking at Fizik saddles they get good wraps but very unsure about this particular purchase.
I've been happy with Fizik saddles, originally the Pave (quite different to the current Pave shape) when it first came out well over a decade ago, and now the Aliante Kium/Carbon; have been comfortable for me for rides 50+km.

But it may be worth keeping to the Toupe for a bit, as there could be getting use to time.

stemple

Postby stemple » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Wheel arrived today that is only 5 business days, pretty good by any standard, and that was normal mail Ozzy Post.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:38 pm

I ordered some stuff on wiggle on wednesday night, it arrived in Brisbane this afternoon (Monday). Three business days! :D
Long day's journey into alt-bars

stemple

Postby stemple » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Definately could'nt complain about that service :D

stemple

Postby stemple » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Well the second wheel arrived and now fitted to the bike, looks pretty good if I do say so myself

mctaylor

Postby mctaylor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm really upset about my first experience. I ordered 3 small items last week, Thursday. The parcel arrived at reception at work today, I thought wow, amazing!!! Only to open the box and find that 2 of the 3 items aren't in there. The invoice shows them as being dispatched and not on back order, and now I've had to contact their customer service. I guess I'll wait to give them a chance to remedy this before I make my final decision on whether to purchase again. But I'm pretty peeved given that 2/3rds of my order is missing.

Ok an update. Wiggle have responded to my email already advising that they will send the missing items. Hopefully all arrives in tact. I'll update everyone as further developments occur.

mctaylor

Postby mctaylor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 pm

:D

All good now. I sent them an email on Monday afternoon expressing my dissatisfaction, and voila today my missing two items turn up after they've agreed to resend them. I can't believe it, less than 2 days from the UK for them to organise the resolution of this is unbelievable. I wish every companies customer service was as good as this. I would highly recommend them for the professional way in which this was handled.

Mick

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:59 pm

They wern't just sent after the initial order ie. 1st items are dispatched, they realise they forgot something so send a 2nd parcel soon after? If they are the items they sent on Monday then I am in awe :shock:
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mctaylor

Postby mctaylor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Haks, definitely the replacement items. The original dispatch list noted all 3 items on the one list and package numbers only 1. There was never any mention of it being split across two packages. The item received also referred to Invoice amounts of $0. So no question in my mind it was for the missing items. I can't believe how amazing the service was given the initial mistake. I can't recommend them highly enough.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 pm

mctaylor wrote:Hi Haks, definitely the replacement items. The original dispatch list noted all 3 items on the one list and package numbers only 1. There was never any mention of it being split across two packages. The item received also referred to Invoice amounts of $0. So no question in my mind it was for the missing items. I can't believe how amazing the service was given the initial mistake. I can't recommend them highly enough.
In that case :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :!:
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

BIGGRIN

Postby BIGGRIN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:29 am

My first wiggle order was 7th of Jan 2010. Still waiting. Was advised by Wiggle HQ that they will look into this situation further should my purchase not be delivered within 15 working days of dispatch. Fingers crossed :D