Cell bikes or others offering value for money?

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:You would fit on my cannondale no prob...it is a 63 and is the first bike I have owned that I had to put a shorter stem on.On your current bike what is your measurement from center of bottom bracket to top of seat...and front of seat to middle of the bars on the tops?.I can measure mine and give you an idea on the sizing of a 63cm.I dont think an XL compact would be of any use as you would have to have a stupid long seat post which even if it was a 35mm would flex like crazy.How much do you weigh?.Problem is you would probably better of with 180mm cranks as well.I am longer in the legs than in my reach so also struggle with bike fits.I need a long seat tube and shorter top tube.
my current bike is a $400 Giant MTB that I've been belting around on for years, so I figured it's time to treat myself (Now find a way of convincing wife). I've been riding an old steel framed Repco something-or-other with 105 drivetrain that a guy I work with loaned me. It's a 60cm frame. I weigh around 110kg, having dropped 5kg in the last month or so, now that the weather's improving and I'm out on the old Repco.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:11 pm

Do yourself a favour - buy the Repco :wink:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:37 pm

the Repco is why I'm not hurrying now. It's not exactly pretty to look at, and won't change down to the two lowest gears, but it means I'm getting bike fit!

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:39 pm

Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:00 pm

The Repco is in having a service as we speak. I figured I could spend a few $$ on it to tide me over for a while while I figure out what I want.

I'm having fun playing build my own bike games with PBK components and the hand made frame!

europa

Postby europa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:12 pm

Actually, the Repco is an ideal machine on which to learn mechanics. None of it is so complicated you can't work it out using 'what happens if I do this', and everything you learn is the basis for the more complicated modern systems.

Richard

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:43 pm

yep I'll learn mechanics, but just want to be able to get out and ride, so it's at the LBS now. Have no tools, and as my wife will tell you, not the most hands on person, so I'll have a go eventually.

europa

Postby europa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 pm

The really nice thing about pushbikes is that it's very hard to stuff things up terminally. You have to try really hard to break something and most stuffups are no more than a mis-adjustment ie, easy and cheap to fix.

I do think the modern bikes are overly complicated, though not to the point of driving the tinkerer away, but bikes like the old Repco are simple enough to provide a handy grounding in mechanics by 'feel'.

Whatever, unless you decide to take a hacksaw to your frame, there is little you can do which a mechanic can't undo :D

Richard

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:28 am

so, just to get back on the original topic....

Anyone got any thoughts on Cell Bikes? I must consider all options.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:57 am

Do a search on cell bikes Brods. They've been discussed in quite a few threads and if all their models haven't been discussed I'd be surprised. The general consensus is that they're good value for the price and most owners are happy with the machines.

Richard

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:01 pm

Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:07 pm

don't stress, I'm definitely leaning towards a custom frame. I'm already dreaming up paint colours / schemes and all the bits & pieces. I'll have to start a 'help me find the good bits for the best price' thread.

bene313

Postby bene313 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:09 pm

MountGower wrote:Ride the Repco for a while Brods and get a good idea of what you want in a top tube and seat tube measurement. Tell old mate his steel bike is heavy and sling him some change. He'll think he's won lotto and you'll have the bike you need for a month or two. Something to ride in the rain, chain up at the shop, spare bike etc when the Cecil Walker or Llewellen arrives
I'll second not rushing into anything. I recently went out and bought a new bike, when I could of picked up something like your mate's Repco for a lot less. Turns out, I think I really wanted something different. I know that now.

If the Repco frame is reasonable, I reckon keep it, and update the other stuff (gears etc) as needed.

You say it aint that pretty to look at - doesn't matter if you can get it riding and gliding along well (which some tuning, lube, newer parts here and there will do). Actually it's a bonus as it's less likely to get flogged.

Have you ever come out to find your nice shiney new bike was not where you locked it? I have, and it was a darn good lock too.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Brods1675 wrote:don't stress, I'm definitely leaning towards a custom frame. I'm already dreaming up paint colours / schemes and all the bits & pieces. I'll have to start a 'help me find the good bits for the best price' thread.
How about this for a not-so-original paint scheme....chrome the entire frame first of all, then mask off the lugs and rear stays. And paint the tubes in pearlescent white over the chrome. Outline the lugs with a paint texta or air brush in the colour of your choice. A la Colnago... :D

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 pm

It's not going to be a Llewellyn frame. Very tasty, but starting at $3500 and with a 9 month waiting list. Wow.

I've been thinking black, flat black like a stealth bomber, or maybe gloss black? Black rims, black groupset.

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:44 pm

The Cell bikes are relatively good value; average frame, average wheels, but good groupset for the cost. You should consider factoring in changing pedals/seatpost/saddles +/- wheels depending on the type of cycling you want to do.

I personally own two different models of Cell bikes (the "SS101" hybrid for commuting and the "Team" road bike for recreational riding) and they are both good decent bikes. Of course, I live quite close to their store so I could easily test ride their bikes and take them in for servicing.

Given your height, however, I would really recommend a test ride first.

Cheers.

Regards.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

triode12

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Brods1675 wrote:It's not going to be a Llewellyn frame. Very tasty, but starting at $3500 and with a 9 month waiting list. Wow.

I've been thinking black, flat black like a stealth bomber, or maybe gloss black? Black rims, black groupset.
If you prefer a matte Black finish - you might want to consider powder coating the frame.

But be warned that the colour Black shows up scratches, dirt more easily than lighter colours.

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:47 am

Yep, well aware of the issues with black. I had a dark blue car and was forever washing it! My logic is that a bike is a hell of a lot easier to keep clean than a car!

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:33 am

An indication of how far Trek have lost the plot with touring bikes is their decision to paint this year's model BLACK! Sheesh, if anyone is going to spend weeks wandering around on a dirty bike, it's a tourer :roll:

Richard

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:37 am

Just buy the damn bicycle that you desire and be damned with what your wife says.
You only live once.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

Brods1675

Postby Brods1675 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:30 am

HyperHorse wrote:Just buy the damn bicycle that you desire and be damned with what your wife says.
You only live once.
Well the wife has turned 180 degrees. She's now happy for me to get a custom frame and build up a bike to suit me perfectly. Albeit over time.

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:57 am

Let us/me know what you end up buying and how it all pans out for you...
I'm sure this would make for good reading.
Hey, who likes my avatar?

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:43 am

HyperHorse wrote:Hey, who likes my avatar?
My cat saw it, hissed and ran for the bedroom :shock:

Richard :D

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:40 pm

europa wrote:
HyperHorse wrote:Hey, who likes my avatar?
My cat saw it, hissed and ran for the bedroom :shock:

Richard :D
You're not serious are u?
LOL...