Physiology of power

PortableDave

Physiology of power

Postby PortableDave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:30 am

Hi Guys,

Looking for literature on the physiology of power in cycling. Specifically information on muscle recruitment while cycling and recovery that leads to an increase in power. Can anyone recommmend any good sites/journals/books on this topic?

toolonglegs

Re: Physiology of power

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:09 am

This is the bible and pretty much all you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-P ... 1931382794

PortableDave

Postby PortableDave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks TLL I will take a look.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Actually maybe I have gone off on a tangent...as I do.That is the bible for training with a powermeter...while it has very good examples it is not so much a training book.

I noticed this on Velonews yesterday so have downloaded it for a read...so I have no idea if it is any good or not.But may be interesting...it IS the full book and is free no strings attached.
http://www.cyclo-club.com/public/1176.c ... =tailwinds

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 am

PortableDave wrote:Hi Guys,

Looking for literature on the physiology of power in cycling. Specifically information on muscle recruitment while cycling and recovery that leads to an increase in power. Can anyone recommmend any good sites/journals/books on this topic?
It's not entirely clear to me what you are asking for.

Do you mean are there any journals that provide info on the science of cycling? If so, then a search on a given topic at PubMed will probably lead you to which journals may be of further interest. Sometimes Peak Performance have items of interest. Of course there are fundamental exercise physiology texts, such as by McArdle & Katch, or by Astrand & Rodahl.

Or books/references on training that leads to improved performance? then in that case then perhaps High Performance Cycling by Asker Jeukendrup, or high Tech Cycling by Ed Burke.

PortableDave

Postby PortableDave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Alex,

I often hear "ride more to create power", "ride harder to create power". I am interested from a biological standpoint where this power is created and why it improves. "Exercise Physiology" from McArdle & Katch looks promising, I will see if I can get my hands on a copy. Thanks.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:53 pm

PortableDave wrote:Hi Alex,

I often hear "ride more to create power", "ride harder to create power". I am interested from a biological standpoint where this power is created and why it improves. "Exercise Physiology" from McArdle & Katch looks promising, I will see if I can get my hands on a copy. Thanks.
Physiological adaptations of most import to cycling performance are induced by training with sufficient intensity, duration and frequency. That's a pretty fundamental exercise training principle (training impulse and response). If you want a summary of the type of physiological adaptations elicited when cycling, then these following items summarise:

http://www.cyclecoach.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=112
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... oggan.aspx

If you want to understand why/how these changes occur, then try the texts I referenced. But you may have to look even deeper.

PortableDave

Postby PortableDave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks Alex, I have a pretty good idea where to start now, this is purely out of academic interest not so much for my own training. Although knowledge is power as they say :p

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:31 pm

PortableDave wrote:Hi Guys,

I have asked my physio this same question as well as a few respected cycling figures. Everyone has read it as relating to power meters on this forum. But it is actually pedalling action related.
What I thought would be great would be a heat map of the body indicating which muscles were being recruited. I assumed that there would be different styles required for climbing (seated,) TT and say crit racing. But each of these would have an optimum muscle recruitment that could be mapped by the heat generated in each muscle. (Where you were underutilising a muscle, e.g., too much quad, then you would be told to reduce the length of drive on the front of pedal stroke [instead of 10 to 5, quad for 10 to 3 on the clock face then comence the scrapping the mud action to engage the hammy]) This heat map would also give information like whether you were overusing stabilising muscle in your pedal stroke --> do core stability excercies off the bike.
So we measure Alberto, heat map and power-meter him. Then all we have to do is replicate. I suggest pedal stroke then power.
I am sure all you smart readers will throw up lots of issues on why this wouldn’t work, especially non-standard anatomy arguments, but to my way of thinking the ultimate cycling conservation is in recruiting as many muscles as possible.
I think though, that we might find that my subdivision into three styles (TT, crit etc.,) would not be broad enough. Probably, the top Pro’s use a subtly different muscle recruitment series for a far more varied range of terrains/conditions.
Anyway, I think this is a really interesting topic.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:23 pm

ft_critical wrote: but to my way of thinking the ultimate cycling conservation is in recruiting as many muscles as possible.
I prefer to use the muscles that matter. and as cycling conversations go, it's sure not in my top 10 :lol:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:If you want to understand why/how these changes occur, then try the texts I referenced. But you may have to look even deeper.
Starting to get into molecular/genetic physiology... :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.