Geoff Scott frame builder -

Wazza

Geoff Scott frame builder -

Postby Wazza » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi All,
I am in the middle of acquiring this 653 Reynolds road frame from Amrjon

I have found and talked to the original owner (John Groom - Groman Plumbing Woollongong) and he tells me the Geoff Scott built a couple of frames for him in the mid 80s. Geoff Scott at the time had his own business and produced 'Gefsco' frames however the business was not successful and he went and worked at Clarence St Cycles for a time. Does anyone know him, of him or has a frame with his decals on them. Any info would be most appreciative

Waz
Last edited by Wazza on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wazza

lethoso

Re: Jeff Scott frame builder -

Postby lethoso » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 pm

damn, pretty jealous of that paint job

Wazza

Re: Geoff Scott frame builder -

Postby Wazza » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks for the info Toff :wink: You wouldn't have a picture of the decals would you, I would like to make some up for the frame once it has been refurbed.
Waz
Last edited by Wazza on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wazza

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:38 am

lethoso wrote:damn, pretty jealous of that paint job
Notice my avatar, I seem to have an attraction for the 80s colour schemes. The trick will be to find a shop that can still do the 'fade/blend' paint job. Mark at Bikeworx,Sandgate gave me a card of a custom motor bike shop who may be able to help out. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
Waz
Last edited by Wazza on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wazza

toff

Postby toff » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Wazza, unfortunately my bike does not have any decals or stickers on it. It was identified as a Geoff Scott by Peter Bundy, who recognised the workmanship, and placement of the venting holes as the work of Geoff Scott.

There were some awesome paint schemes of oversprayed paint during the Geoff Scott era. Google image "Clamont" frames and you'll see plenty. I have a Clamont I bought in 1990 from Clarence Street Cyclery which has a similar paint scheme to the new Wazza bike, but in red and yellow.

The best paint scheme I recall seeing was the Geoff Scott Vinnacombe track bike in world champion (rainbow) colours, that used to be on display at Clarence Street Cyclery. The only pic I can find of it is this one:

john symonds

Postby john symonds » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:52 pm

i may have some stickers in the garage geoff scott stickers were better than geofsco

kevinwulf

Postby kevinwulf » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Nice bikes!!

Can I request that someone (OP or moderators) change the "Jeff" in the title to "Geoff" for future searchers? Thanks.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am

kevinwulf wrote:Nice bikes!!

Can I request that someone (OP or moderators) change the "Jeff" in the title to "Geoff" for future searchers? Thanks.
Done :wink:
john symonds wrote:i may have some stickers in the garage geoff scott stickers were better than geofsco
John,
If you have some stickers you wish to sell then please let me know :wink: Meanwhile I'll try Cyclomondo for some period GS/Clamont stickers
toff wrote:.... placement of the venting holes as the work of Geoff Scott.
Venting holes :?:
Wazza

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 am

I have a Clamont "Two Ten" from the Geoff Scott era at Clarence st I believe. It's well built but not one of his more desirable frames. Mine is certainly Crmo waterpipe stuff and quite heavy but the geometry is good and the ride very steady.

toff

Postby toff » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Wazza wrote:
When building a bike, the brazing process can potentially damage (or at least weaken) the tubing, due to the high temperatures involved. Overheating steel tubing can make it harder, and therefore more brittle. This can increase the likelihood of fatigue related failure of the tubing at some point in the future.

To de-localize the heat, framebuilders drill small holes at key positions on the frame. They are most commonly seen on the seatstays, near the dropouts, as this is a common fatigue point. The holes allow hot gases created whilst brazing to escape. The holes also allow the molten brass (or silver compound) to flow more readily into the joint.

Holes are usually about 1mm in diameter. There is probably a more correct name for them, but I use the term venting holes. Since the holes are usually found at the bottom of the forks, and the bottom of the seatstays, people sometimes assume that they are water drainage holes, which they are not. On my Geoff Scott track bike I have venting holes near the brake bridge...

Jonbays, I didn't think Geoff Scott made the production range of Clamonts. If yours has a "Hand built by Geoff Scott" sticker on it, then clearly I'm wrong, but I thought he only made the high end "8" series and "Professional" frames. My Clamont is a mid-range "5-something". Will need to dig it out and see if I have a sticker myself...

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:24 pm

toff wrote:
Wazza wrote:
Jonbays, I didn't think Geoff Scott made the production range of Clamonts. If yours has a "Hand built by Geoff Scott" sticker on it, then clearly I'm wrong, but I thought he only made the high end "8" series and "Professional" frames. My Clamont is a mid-range "5-something". Will need to dig it out and see if I have a sticker myself...
You are probably right the Clamont "two ten" is more the shop bike model and it doesn't have any stickers saying who it was built by or where it was built for that matter.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:40 pm

I have a 1991 Clement Professional custom built by Geoff Scott for me. There is a set of photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerrabbit1964/. Apart from the missing small "professional" decals on the top tube, removed due to one being damaged, the decals and paint are original.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:45 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:I have a 1991 Clement Professional custom built by Geoff Scott for me. There is a set of photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerrabbit1964/. Apart from the missing small "professional" decals on the top tube, removed due to one being damaged, the decals and paint are original.
Roger,
Those lugs are fantastic :wink:
Waz
Wazza

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 pm

toff wrote: When building a bike, the brazing process can potentially damage (or at least weaken) the tubing, due to the high temperatures involved. Overheating steel tubing can make it harder, and therefore more brittle. This can increase the likelihood of fatigue related failure of the tubing at some point in the future.

To de-localize the heat, framebuilders drill small holes at key positions on the frame. They are most commonly seen on the seatstays, near the dropouts, as this is a common fatigue point. The holes allow hot gases created whilst brazing to escape. The holes also allow the molten brass (or silver compound) to flow more readily into the joint.
Just a minor technical note: the vent holes are not there to reduce the heating of the tubing, they are there to prevent the pressure built up by the thermal expansion of gas in a closed tube blowing the brazing material (or weld pool) out of the joint. If you've ever tried to weld up an entirely closed tube you'll know what I mean - just as you think you've got it you either get a blowout as the hot gas escapes or a suck in as the formerly hot gas cools down. If you put a small hole in the tube, you can close the main welds / brazed joints without this occuring. Sealing up the vent hole is far less problematic becasue it's so small the job is done before there's any real pressure built up.

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Just found this beauty in hard rubbish, bottom bracket is abit gunked up and abit of surface rust but otherwise sweet, lightest steel frame that Ive ever picked up.
Doesnt have any tubing decals but has Columbus dropouts and some very nice lugs. Stoked I am.
ImageImageImageImage

xtiansen

Postby xtiansen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:10 pm

I have a custom Geoff Scott frame (Columbus Max) from 1992 obtained through Clamont Cyclery. I met Geoff Scott at the shop to discuss measurements, angles, tubing and colors. I had him paint it the colors of the Australian Team for the LA Olympics (I recall he made the frames for the team)and I had the completed frame delivered back to the shop. I was living in the US at the time, so took the frame back to the US and built it up there. It has a "Geoff Scott- Master Frame Builder" decal and not "Gefsco". I'd be happy to take a better picture of the "Geoff Scott" decal if anyone needs to copy it. I have a bunch of the Clamont decals spare, but I didn't get any "Geoff Scott" spares.
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/xtiansen ... 5699777362
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/xtiansen ... 3514162610

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:22 pm

Cool, my first post here and I can help folks out! Gees, you're lucky to have me here. :lol:

If you want Clamont and Gefsco decals, try Clarence Street Cyclery (Sydney). When I was restoring my Clamont about 18 months ago, I asked at the workshop (downstairs in the basement) if they had any decals and they handed me three plastic tubs full of the things to search through. I scored a couple of sets for myself (and one for a mate's Clamont I was painting at the time) and they even had some of the "Geoff Scott Master Frame Builder" stickers.

I think the whole lot cost me about $20.

Hope that helps!

My first road bike was a Clamont Six Twelve. Tange 900 tubing and a mix of Sakae and Weinmann components. Despite not being high end, I wished I'd kept it.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

macyk

Postby macyk » Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 am

I worked at Clarence Street Cyclery in Sydney from March 1990 until August of 1990 and knew Geoff Scott personally.

Here is what I know about him. He was an incredibly generous man with amazing talent when it came to building bike frames. I'm from Canada, and was visiting/traveling Australia that year, and was fortunate enough to have got a job at CSC working for the owner Tony. Kevin Pascoe was the manager. I actually have photos of Geoff in the front entrance way of CSC with an assortment of his custom made frames hanging above him, along with some other odds and ends.

Geoff, his wife and daughter were extremely kind by inviting me down to their home, just south of Sydney, where I hung out for a couple of days and got to see Geoff's workshop where he built and painted all his frames. They had 3 cats and 3 dogs at the time, all with interesting names, some not appropriate to post. Geoff let my borrow his car for 4 months to tour around Australia. Man was he generous! I have photos of that car too.

Geoff built most if not all of the Australian team bikes back in the 80's and a few into the 90's. Very talented! I was the lucky guy who got to test ride the first mountain bike frame Geoff ever made. The geometry was very relaxed and not a great ride, but no one had really dialled in what the best angles were back then.

I could go on, but that's enough for now. Suffice it to say, I have a tonne of great memories from that trip and it was people like Geoff that made it so.

Cheers to all Aussies!!

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 pm

I have a Geoffsco in the yard, it's a lovely bike and incredibly well built. Here are some pretty "dodgy" hard to see pics but it gives you an idea of the colour scheme and decals used and the extra little features that my Geoffsco has which makes it a pretty cool looking machine, the lugwork and little dot's / indentations around the lugs.. very nice! (gotta get it out of the weather!!).

Image[/img][/size]
“If you do something right the first time, then it’s not hard enough” :D

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon May 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Wazza wrote:
lethoso wrote:damn, pretty jealous of that paint job
Notice my avatar, I seem to have an attraction for the 80s colour schemes. The trick will be to find a shop that can still do the 'fade/blend' paint job. Mark at Bikeworx,Sandgate gave me a card of a custom motor bike shop who may be able to help out. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
Waz
Are you serious?
You like that sort of paintjob :shock:

personally i think it's an eyesore*, but each his own .

*the colors i mean , the frame is beatifull.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

xtiansen

Postby xtiansen » Wed May 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Wazza - Just had my 1992 Geoff Scott Professional restored and re-painted by Joe Cosgrove in Brisbane. He did a brilliant job with "80s color scheme". This is the same paint scheme as on the Aussie LA Olympics frames, made by Geoff Scott (see my earlier post on this topic).

See photo at:
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/xtiansen ... 4131532162
(Previous two pics in the album are pre-restoration)

Bob

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 26, 2010 9:21 pm

xtiansen wrote:Wazza - Just had my 1992 Geoff Scott Professional restored and re-painted by Joe Cosgrove in Brisbane. He did a brilliant job with "80s color scheme". This is the same paint scheme as on the Aussie LA Olympics frames, made by Geoff Scott (see my earlier post on this topic).

See photo at:
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/xtiansen ... 4131532162
(Previous two pics in the album are pre-restoration)

Bob
G'day Bob. I have a couple of frames I would like Joe to restore, A "Berretto" and an "Abeni" but cannot find any contact details. Is there a web link or a number I could use?

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu May 27, 2010 11:41 am

I just spotted this at my local fixy LBS.

http://gearbrisbane.com/blog/?p=6688
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu May 27, 2010 11:45 am

singlespeedscott wrote: G'day Bob. I have a couple of frames I would like Joe to restore, A "Berretto" and an "Abeni" but cannot find any contact details. Is there a web link or a number I could use?
Joe Cosgrove 07 3275 1442
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross